What's new

Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
This is fucking awful man. I'd sue the shit out of whoever this lady was who looked up his home address and reported him (provided he's released after the July 1 hearing).

Cylith

Amazonian Speed Force
Its funny that the woman who did some SERIOUS snooping, from outside the USA, is not getting questioned? Or how about he person who sent the initial insult? I read that article and it is completely ridiculous. And I have a hard time believing that the police stand by it., from the personal feelings. I grew up around cops, and I can tell you, this isn't the policeman's choice. The officer was probably told to do it from a higher up who was doing a "favor" for some other person. Cliche', but it really does happen.

tazzmission

Banned
This is fucking awful man. I'd sue the shit out of whoever this lady was who looked up his home address and reported him (provided he's released after the July 1 hearing).

heres the issue though... as much as we all disagree on this but a address is required for xbox live so its not really illegall if that info was given to microsoft

other than that i agree yea 8 years is insane and i can assure you i have said things myself and im sure others have as well but nowadays we live in a paranoid time and sadly thats how society is

ryublaze

Noob
Shit gets real when you play League of Legends.

Someone should make a meme out of this. "Makes joke on League of Legends. Goes to jail."

I feel bad for the kid though. I hope nothing like this happens to me in the future. :oops:

Seapeople

This one's for you
That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while. It's not like this is going against the 1st ammendment of our country or anything.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
heres the issue though... as much as we all disagree on this but a address is required for xbox live so its not really illegall if that info was given to microsoft

other than that i agree yea 8 years is insane and i can assure you i have said things myself and im sure others have as well but nowadays we live in a paranoid time and sadly thats how society is
I'm not well versed on the legal ramifications but the amount of trauma this young man has ALREADY experienced while incarcerated (he was arrested mid-February) should be precedent enough to sue for damages of some kind from someone.

tazzmission

Banned
I'm not well versed on the legal ramifications but the amount of trauma this young man has ALREADY experienced while incarcerated (he was arrested mid-February) should be precedent enough to sue for damages of some kind from someone.

you know now that i think of it the xbox one just got scarier. if you read this story and think back to the stuff xbox one has this is only going to get worse

i say that because if it can happen here it can very easily happen next gen but times 100

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
I wonder if Riot suspended his account and sent him to the tribunal?

"Helpful Tip: 78% of players sent to the tribunal don't get sent back"

Better than 8 years in jail smh

Mosp

Noob

From what I've read and understand he was caught making those remarks on Facebook not League of Legends but was talking about the game. Most of the articles make it appear as though he said it during a League of Legends match which seems like a way to put the blame for violence and bad behavior in teenagers on video games once again. Either way it's really unfair and I can't see the reasoning behind them doing this.

Goldi

Noob
His father says he didn't watch tv or understand current events. but he clearly knew Internet slang and how to play video games. That should tell us this was someone in need of help.

Unfortunately for him, it came from the authorities instead of a family member or medical practitioner.

Not that I think prison will be terribly helpful for him. But I don't find school shootings amusing either. And this "but it was just a joke!" crap is getting old. Examples need to be made I guess. He was pretty callous about human life when it wasn't his own.

tazzmission

Banned
His father says he didn't watch tv or understand current events. but he clearly knew Internet slang and how to play video games. That should tell us this was someone in need of help.

Unfortunately for him, it came from the authorities instead of a family member or medical practitioner.

Not that I think prison will be terribly helpful for him. But I don't find school shootings amusing either. And this "but it was just a joke!" crap is getting old. Examples need to be made I guess. He was pretty callous about human life when it wasn't his own.

i agree joking about a school shooting is not funny but 8 years is a bit of a hard punishment dont you think?

also a friend of mine passed this to me from abc

the dad stated it was on facebook

http://www.kvue.com/news/Father-of-19-year-old-charged-with-Terroristic-Threat-says-son-was-only-joking-212856951.html
That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while. It's not like this is going against the 1st ammendment of our country or anything.
....... just because it is free speech dosent mean its right

Seapeople

This one's for you
Free speech doesn't apply on a privately owned game server.
Even though he said it on a privately owned game, that shouldn't change the legal ramifications at all. The people who own LoL could give him a perma-ban but not 8 years in jail. Freedom of speech absolutely still applies.

....... just because it is free speech dosent mean its right
Just because it's not right doesn't mean it's illegal. People have the right to say what they want, that's all I'm getting at.

tazzmission

Banned
Even though he said it on a privately owned game, that shouldn't change the legal ramifications at all. The people who own LoL could give him a perma-ban but not 8 years in jail. Freedom of speech absolutely still applies.

Just because it's not right doesn't mean it's illegal. People have the right to say what they want, that's all I'm getting at.

no it dosent. freedom of speech does not cover someone saying they want to kill someone

also this isnt the first time a over reaction accured

this is from march btw and this is why i say people are to paranoid now

School locked down after receptionist misinterprets ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ song as threat

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/02/school-locked-down-after-receptionist-misinterprets-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-song-as-threat/#ixzz2Xg83Bueb

Scalabrine

Not new but whatevs...

I get what you're saying and where you're coming from, but he has paid enough, 3 months in jail for something so immature is just overkill.

Stupid "joke"? Yes. Is it worthy of the attention of the authorities? Hell to the no.

tazzmission

Banned

Freedom of speech includes the right:

Not to speak (specifically, the right not to salute the flag).
West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943).
Of students to wear black armbands to school to protest a war (“Students do not shed their constitutional rights at the schoolhouse gate.”).
Tinker v. Des Moines, 393 U.S. 503 (1969).
To use certain offensive words and phrases to convey political messages.
Cohen v. California, 403 U.S. 15 (1971).
To contribute money (under certain circumstances) to political campaigns.
Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S. 1 (1976).
To advertise commercial products and professional services (with some restrictions).
Virginia Board of Pharmacy v. Virginia Consumer Council, 425 U.S. 748 (1976); Bates v. State Bar of Arizona, 433 U.S. 350 (1977).
To engage in symbolic speech, (e.g., burning the flag in protest).
Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989); United States v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).
Freedom of speech does not include the right:

To incite actions that would harm others (e.g., “hout[ing] ‘fire’ in a crowded theater.”).
Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919).
To make or distribute obscene materials.
Roth v. United States, 354 U.S. 476 (1957).
To burn draft cards as an anti-war protest.
United States v. O’Brien, 391 U.S. 367 (1968).
To permit students to print articles in a school newspaper over the objections of the school administration.
Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, 484 U.S. 260 (1988).
Of students to make an obscene speech at a school-sponsored event.
Bethel School District #43 v. Fraser, 478 U.S. 675 (1986).
Of students to advocate illegal drug use at a school-sponsored event.
Morse v. Frederick, __ U.S. __ (2007).

http://www.uscourts.gov/educational-resources/get-involved/constitution-activities/first-amendment/free-speech.aspx

tazzmission

Banned
8 years for a joke? That was clearly a joke with the "lol jk" at the end? Yes, violent and harsh, but WAY worse gets said elsewhere...yet you don't see anyone else getting punished.

sadly i think that is because of what happened in december and last month

i think the right punishment should be is ban him from online gaming and social media sites for 8 years and parents pay a hefty fine. and hell man it beats going to prison let alone federal expecially on a terroristic threat charge

i dont like the idea either but beats prison