What's new

Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
People trade freedom for security..goodbye first amendment and the rest of our "rights"
Ah the good ol'
"Those who trade liberty for security get neither"
John Adams was a smart man...and he is laughing at us all ...smoking his hemp...banging a whore...

Sent under duress.

Goldi

Noob
Intent is not obvious through text, but words still have power and consequences.

You can't say bomb in airport, fire in a theatre - pretty common sense stuff. I haven't studied American anti-terrorism laws extensively, but I know enough to stay on the right side of them. It isn't that difficult.

A stand up comedian is being paid to deliver a monologue to a willing audience. That's an entirely separate context. Where "it was just a joke" was agreed upon by entering the venue and suspending disbelief. You enter an unspoken agreement with the entertainer to play along. I don't know why I even acknowledged this comparison...

And of course I think it's an excessive and self defeating punishment. No one is saying it isn't. It's the sniveling "it was just a joke" defense that only incites further belief that he should be removed from society and evaluated.

Maybe he is just a dumb kid and not a threat to public safety. Or maybe he needs psychiatric attention. His statements are indicative of such after all. So that's what he's in jail awaiting trial to be determined, instead of being flat out euthanized like a rabid animal or ignored until something horrid happens.

Nothing is that cut and dry. The legal system - and the world entirely - fall into muddled grey of uncertainty and doubt. Not a harmless teasing shade of white or evil sociopathic black, but a bit of both.

You can't side with apathy to shrug these things off all together or we would have anarchy. And you can't simply deem someone a threat (or at least unpleasant) and remove them from society entirely without due process - that would be draconian. This is landing somewhere between the two.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Goldfish we're just going to have to agree to disagree because if you honestly think that a sarcastic Facebook message warrants 8 years of incarceration then I don't know what to tell you.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Goldfish we're just going to have to agree to disagree because if you honestly think that a sarcastic Facebook message warrants 8 years of incarceration then I don't know what to tell you.
Honestly I don't think that will happen and so far is not the issue...He was arrested for breaking a law...the judge will look at it and probably think it is a stupid waste of time...but the 8 years is what the law says as a guide ..a judge can give him a month probation ...
Dropping a napkin on the ground is a offence that can give you 2 years in jail but nobody has handed that sentence out for such a thing that I know of...
Sent under duress.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Goldfish, lbsh here. The joke was bad. But to face 8 years imprisonment for saying a joke and without evidence to back up the fact that he even intended to do such a thing, which i seriously doubt he would cause kids these days will say incredibly stupid things over the internet especially just for the lolz, is ridiculous to say the least. Thats really pitiful and i feel sorry for the kid and his parents. I really hope this will resolve smoothly, cause if not, the boy's future will be ruined. I m not saying it shouldnt be attended but the penalty for what he did is really unfair. It seems a little strange tbh with you.

Goldi

Noob
I don't quite understand why I keep replying here since no one seems to read what I say lol.

I haven't disagreed at all that it's an excessive and self defeating punishment. I've even said I think this is an individual who needs help, therapy or at least to get off the damn video games and into the world.

I've said repeatedly, they're just making an example out of him. Do I think it's "fair"? No. But life isn't fair. It certainly isn't fair for a parent to bury a child lost in a school shooting either.

The statement was not a joke. It was disturbing. Very much like if someone on TYM began making suicidal threats, I would be tempted to contact the authorities in an effort to get them help. I've seen this exact scenario happen in online communities actually. Is it an invasive overreaction? Should it be dismissed entirely as attention seeking behavior? What if they actually go through with it and knick an artery - wouldn't you rather be wrong with everyone still alive than apathetic to a potential tragedy?

Shades of grey.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I don't quite understand why I keep replying here since no one seems to read what I say lol.
*snipped for brevity*
I've even said I think this is an individual who needs help, therapy or at least to get off the damn video games and into the world.

I've said repeatedly, they're just making an example out of him. Do I think it's "fair"? No. But life isn't fair. It certainly isn't fair for a parent to bury a child lost in a school shooting either.

The statement was not a joke. It was disturbing.
This is were we fundamentally disagree. I tried to illustrate how Justin's Facebook comment was obviously NOT a serious threat or any implication that Justin was emotionally disturbed (hence my example of context). Was it in poor taste? Obviously. Was it enough to be arrested and tried for acts of Terrorism? Apparently. Was that arrest under Terroristic Laws a gross misapproriation of the US legal system? Time will tell.

Regardless. This young man has been in jail for a Facebook comment since March and is facing 8 years of incarceration.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I just deleted a bunch of insults that had no place here. Please be respectful of other people's opinions when posting.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Shit gets real when you play League of Legends.

Someone should make a meme out of this. "Makes joke on League of Legends. Goes to jail."

I feel bad for the kid though. I hope nothing like this happens to me in the future. :oops:
U GOIN TA JAIL NAOO!!! >:U

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
UPDATE: Justin is still in jail awaiting his court date although his lawyer is trying to appeal the set bail amount of $500,000 so Justin's family can reasonably afford to post his bond. Appeal is set for July 16, 2013.

tazzmission

Banned
UPDATE: Justin is still in jail awaiting his court date although his lawyer is trying to appeal the set bail amount of of $500,000 so Justin's family can reasonably afford to post his bond. Appeal is set for July 16, 2013.

yea i was glad to see the media cover it and they all said the same wich is this was stupid to jail the kid

also it was reported he can go for 10 years not 8 so i guess thats an update

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Yeah. A jury wont convict him. The I guarantee the jury will look at the lol jk portion of his "threat" and immediately dismiss the very notion that it was a "terrorist threat". Especially after 1 month of no action. It isn't a crime to plan a crime. It is a crime to commit a crime. Intent is everything.

tazzmission

Banned
Yeah. A jury wont convict him. The I guarantee the jury will look at the lol jk portion of his "threat" and immediately dismiss the very notion that it was a "terrorist threat". Especially after 1 month of no action. It isn't a crime to plan a crime. It is a crime to commit a crime. Intent is everything.

cops searched the home and found nothing from what the five said .

cops shouldve just scarred him with a warning instead of jailing him.

also a lawyer stated the threat had to be very specific with a date and time

and from what i understand the kid didnt say such things so no harm no foul

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
cops searched the home and found nothing from what the five said .

cops shouldve just scarred him with a warning instead of jailing him
Yeah. I am surprised they made the arrest. There isn't any reasonable suspicion... there isn't probable cause (you need this to make an arrest). The "evidence" would have also been stale. You can't convict with stale evidence. If he didn't commit his crime (which he immediately denounced) within a month, there is no way a prosecutor could argue that he was planning to do it at a later date.

I don't even think the cops should have scared him. He didn't break any laws. I am honestly surprised a judge didn't immediately dismiss the case.

tazzmission

Banned
Yeah. I am surprised they made the arrest. There isn't any reasonable suspicion... there isn't probable cause (you need this to make an arrest). The "evidence" would have also been stale. You can't convict with stale evidence. If he didn't commit his crime (which he immediately denounced) within a month, there is no way a prosecutor could argue that he was planning to do it at a later date.

I don't even think the cops should have scared him. He didn't break any laws. I am honestly surprised a judge didn't immediately dismiss the case.

and the bizzare thing about this whole thing the person who made the complaint was from canada

im sorry but since when do we start taking serious concerns from them? its freaking canada

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual

That's the thing though, according to these Terroistic Laws, the state of Texas apparently had legal authority to make an arrest. While I too agree that Justin probably won't be convicted, the fact that what he did was enough to warrant arrest is terrifying in it's implication.

tazzmission

Banned
That's the thing though, according to these Terroistic Laws, the state of Texas apparently had legal authority to make an arrest. While I too agree that Justin probably won't be convicted, the fact that what he did was enough to warrant arrest is terrifying in it's implication.

also note hes been in jail since march so thats 4 months he wont get back even if he is not convicted and i think the family should file a lawsute really

aj1701

Noob
Planning to commit a crime is conspiracy, which is a crime. You do normally have to actually do something to enact the plot, but that might vary place to place.