What's new

Team Sp00ky wants to know what the MK community wants to see from our streams.

Heck at this rate even Skullgirls is gonna have more stream time than us..

"MK is less popular than shitty Marvel so it's normal to have no stream time"

No it's not normal man. MK9 is a GOOD competitive balanced game, better designed than MvC3, more fun to play than SC and more exiting to watch than Tekken tourneys. I'm not saying Team Spooky should stream every single MK tourney. I'm saying if no one is giving us streaming time then heck we should just do it ourselves. I mean why the hell are we waiting for some SF or Tekken host guy to give us a little pity stream time? Why can't we have someone like 9.95, S1lent1 or Bones simply have our own stream set up in place? I'm sure a lot of people here and maybe even NRS would encourage, follow, support and even donate money for it.

The hell with Capcom tourneys. Let's make our own and steal their viewers. Tom Brady was right about something: We need to stop piggybacking of other games.

Gurrry

Twitch - 12DollarStreamMonster
ECT today was an absolute joke/mess.
It had nothing to do with Spooky though..

The venue was not ready for that type of event. I dont even think the organizers were ready for the ammount of people that showed up. The power outage really ruined the timing of the entire thing..

MK is being streamed right now and they have Tom and Art on commentary. I couldnt ask for a better duo to do that. It was getting annoying when we had people on MVC3 and AE that werent really breaking down what was happening on stream. I know its hard to find people to sit down and do it, but its a crucial part to the experience.

MK obviously isnt getting the love we all here at TYM think it deserves. Even though I am garbage and AE and MVC3, Ive been watching the stream since I woke up and have been getting hype for everything. Ofcourse, we will always have haters for certain games. Just make sure you arent one of them.

We need to all come together and support the FGC as a whole rather than trying to divide ourselves up.

lol as soon as we get good commentators they switch games. cool. appreciate the hour, hour and a half of stream time.

Gurrry

Heck at this rate even Skullgirls is gonna have more stream time than us..

"MK is less popular than shitty Marvel so it's normal to have no stream time"

No it's not normal man. MK9 is a GOOD competitive balanced game, better designed than MvC3, more fun to play than SC and more exiting to watch than Tekken tourneys. I'm not saying Team Spooky should stream every single MK tourney. I'm saying if no one is giving us streaming time then heck we should just do it ourselves. I mean why the hell are we waiting for some SF or Tekken host guy to give us a little pity stream time? Why can't we have someone like 9.95, S1lent1 or Bones simply have our own stream set up in place? I'm sure a lot of people here and maybe even NRS would encourage, follow, support and even donate money for it.

The hell with Capcom tourneys. Let's make our own and steal their viewers. Tom Brady was right about something: We need to stop piggybacking of other games.

You make a solid point.. but the fact is that Spooky and the others who are putting in the time and the finances to do these streams dont grow on trees. Not everyone is going to be able to do it and do it to the quality that Team Spooky does.

While Spooky may have the ability to say, "Hey we need to put MK on stream now"... in the end its all up to the organizers and how they set everything up. Not to mention Spooky has to basically help run the tournaments and brackets in tournaments that he isnt even organizing in the first place. Its a huge load for one person to handle. What he does for the FGC is quite admirable.

I do feel what you are saying though. As an MK fan, I feel a little cheated having sat here since 10 am watching the stream (its now 11 pm) and have only seen maybe 25 minutes total of MK. We have seen a TON of MVC3. The balance today as definitely been skewed. Getting MK on stream is a huge part of its success and popularity down the road. I too fear that if this type of thing keeps happening, MK will lose its momentum in the community quicker than it should.

I feel like this game is in a good spot right now.. but it also has that chance to drop into obscurity. Its our duty as MK fans to not let that happen and it starts with getting more people to sign up for MK tournaments and growing our scene as a whole.

Zebster

How's my volume?
If a tournament has 250 for AE, 150 for Marvel, and 100 for MK the time and amount of stations at the venue devoted to those games is going to be weighted accordingly.
How is less than an hour for MK vs 4-5 hours for Marvel and AE "weighted accordingly?" 135 for MK btw, not that far from Marvel.

Flair

Joke
Today's stream was pretty disgusting if you were an MK player.

I tuned in at 2PM to hopefully catch the pool matches of MK 9. They were held back (understandable, I've held tournaments myself) and we had to wait. Over the course of that waiting, I heard tons of stream monster talk of how this game is "Boring Kombat", "A scrubs game" and my favorite "dead after evo". I know you are supposed to ignore trolls, they only really win if you let them get to you, but I really was starting to get pissed. Finally Chris G has a match with someone who I can't remember and then boom a power outage. They can't help that, they had an overbearing turn out (which is good). So I leave to go to the store and get some good summer air. I come back only to hear Marvel 3, they made a good move, the power outage put the MK pools 1.5 hours behind. Might as well give the public some Marvel, its fun to watch and I can wait for MK. While watching Marvel I keep seeing "MK 9 at 6PM" from multiple sources. 6PM rolled around and at some point they announced "SSF4:AE" on the stream. I am kind of getting annoyed with the stream monsters and the lack of seeing my favorite game. Finally at some point a message was put on the chat that lead to a stream put on by storms with his android phone (thanks alot really appreciated the support) I went on and watched a very ghetto stream (lol, it was fun though) I got to see some good matches and was overall satisfied. Finally I hear MK would be on the main spooky stream. Eventually it did come on and I tuned in to see what I waited all day for. Within 30 minuets, the stream went from 8,700ish viewers to 5,500. I constantly seeing hate comments, and the commentary involved a person who did not know much of the game and someone explaining it to him the whole time. I didn't care though, as long as they commented on the matched a little I was happy. I was wishing for some more experts to comment and finally that happened. Tom got on the stream and after about two matches MK was shut off and Marvel was put back on. Even Brady was like "We putting marvel back on or is there still some MK?" Whoever he was talking to just said they were going to put marvel back on. We got about 5 matches in on the main spooky stream.

I don't know about you, but I was pissed. The game I have a passion for, is considered a joke by the majority of the FGC. It sucks to be an MK fan sometimes, we are like the underdogs in a sense. The capcom fans don't show equality to this game, they seem to be trying to kill this game off. I really love MK, it's been in my life since I was around 5 years old. I played the original on the SNES and at a local Giovanni's Pizza. I remember playing MK II at a county fair during its release and MK 3 at the local wal-mart in 95. So yeah I have an attachment, but tonight I felt like the game I loved, was shit in the eyes of others, that the time I put into it was wasted. I just felt like the only thing that matters are flashing lights, overpowered twins, and insta-kill combos. I try to respect everyone's fighting game of choice, I even own and play MvC 3 and SSF4:AE. I may not like the anime fighters, but I won't dog them because I know someone like them and they put their time and money into them. I don't call the other games skilless games or scrub games, I just try to be open and respectful. I only wish many other on both ends would do the same.

Basically I am just sick of hearing my game be called by the commentators "Anti-Hype" and "Boring". I am tired of this game being called "simple". I hope as a community continue even if EVO kicks us out. Because this game is bad ass, its technical and has a supportive team, and that is something others do not have. There are people here who have given so much to make this game stand out and after this tournament I hope we try harder. I am going to make a goal to travel this fall for this game and support it fully, I want to see it grow and maybe not change the minds of the haters, but at least show them I support my game 110% and that I have a community who does the same.

Anywho enough of the salty rant. I just felt like posting this, tired of hearing the hater bullshit lol.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
ok, there was power outage and all this other crap happened and we ended up on the short shrift. fine, i can deal with that. but i still want to know what the hell happened at CEO and why we got screwed out so hard when nothing of the sort happened in Orlando? there was a good turnout (i think i heard 121 from somewhere or 171, i dont know. but i heard it was big.), plenty of decent players were there and played good and we STILL got shut out in favor of AE and MvC3. to me, that was complete and utter bullshit and everyone knows it. thats why im upset at this whole mess. but thats fine, cause in the end i dont think people like Spooky are gonna matter much in this community outside of showing the main events. its people like 9.95, Shock, Storms, and anybody else who can run a good MK9 stream with MK9 players in mind thats gonna matter and get community members to respond.

JennyCage

t('.'t)
My impression is that Spooky's stream is less for the fighting game community as a whole and more of a means to promote Capcom. Sorry, but it's true. Showing 4-5 matches of MK after hours and hours of AE and Marvel tells us where their priorities lie. Don't rely on them to promote MK, if anything TS' is helping to delegitimize the game by marginalizing it on streams with thousands of viewers.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
The inherent issue here is, MK needs MK tournaments. MK needs to stop being piggybacked on the Capcom tournaments. Capcom fans want us gone (though I enjoy MK and SF; go figure.) The demand by the stream monsters is for SF and MVC. Now, I'm not saying TS is getting rich off Justin.tv...I'm sure they're not but more viewers = more money.

They've gotta eat at the end of the day.

I understand people's frustrations, believe me, as a big MK fan. But MK has never had a big tournament focus, you can't really be surprised by the "stream monster's reactions" and to the community's reaction to it as a whole. I know a lot of you on here aren't going to agree with my next statement since some of you have followed the UMK3 tourney scene but to me MK has never been a tournament fighter, the fact it is now being shown in the tourney scene is a cool bonus and thing to see. It's not going to go away any time soon, if Spooky didn't even show the finals I'd be up in arms, but he does. And I have to be honest, as much as I don't play SF:AE I find myself getting hyped for their matches. MVC3 though I think I'm completely over at this point however. I can see the passion MK players have, and their fans, but some of you need to stop acting like MK is the bastard step child all because some stubborn SF fans say so. In the end you should be enjoying this new world where MK has a place in tournaments.

DOWNLOADED

The Cowardly Lion
Most of the time when MK is streamed during these tournaments rarely do you get someone who is excited to commentate the match and knows quite a lot about the game. Look at PDP, nobody was hyped, the commentators look like they were about to fall asleep and one of the things they said during it that really stood out to me was something like"This game is simple I mean look at justin wong he has be doing pretty well and he doesn't even much about the game" Judging from how many times he has placed in the last few tournaments he participated for MK he has practiced quite a lot and it paid off.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Id like to see people who know what the F they are talking about commentating and if we could leave out "GRAVITY SQUEEZE" it'd be greatly appreciated.

We don't call Ryu's projectiles smoke bombs or Ultra combos Xrays

Gurrry

Id like to see people who know what the F they are talking about commentating and if we could leave out "GRAVITY SQUEEZE" it'd be greatly appreciated.

We don't call Ryu's projectiles smoke bombs or Ultra combos Xrays
I agree... Im not too picky with what terminology they use... but I am on my knees begging the lord that Tom and Art call the matches today. As much as I love Chris Hu, Id rather take top 8 serious with the commentary today.

Not a whole lot of people know enough about MK yet. It's easy for us to say Art and Tom should commentate Mk, but they can't be there to hold down the stream half the time because they are too busy playing or doing other things.

When it comes to people commentary I'd rather guys say to us up front they don't know much about the game then sit and pretend they know everything and be wrong. I find it funny when guys say "oh shit MvC or SF is up next? I dunno how to commentate that shit!"

Yeah I do wish their was more attention to MK, but I'm not sure what should be done.

Gurrry

My impression is that Spooky's stream is less for the fighting game community as a whole and more of a means to promote Capcom. Sorry, but it's true. Showing 4-5 matches of MK after hours and hours of AE and Marvel tells us where their priorities lie. Don't rely on them to promote MK, if anything TS' is helping to delegitimize the game by marginalizing it on streams with thousands of viewers.
Im sorry but this is false. TS has no connection with Capcom other than the fact that they stream their games. If anything, Capcom uses TS to promote their games. Just look at Seth coming to tourneys with early beta versions of SF X Tekken and getting stream time over games that actually matter. Its a brilliant move by Capcom to be honest. But Sp00ky isnt about Capcom.. he is about the FGC. If Ed was there showing off early versions of MK10... Sp00ky would be showing it too.

Sp00ky isnt behind closed doors trying to scheme up ways to screw over the MK scene. Its up to the people running the event to give Sp00ky games to put on stream. Joe has been working his ass off organizing this entire thing and he gets dealt the short straw with the power outage and an enormous ammount of unexpected entries.

Im sure if Sp00ky could have it his way, he would have multiple streams going at once and a much larger production than he has now.

I just feel like you guys are putting the blame in the wrong place. TS does a hell of a job. If you really want to see the games that bad.. you might need to just go to the tournament. Dont act ignorant and selfish because we didnt get to see "our game" on a channel based for ALL fighting games.

burnman

Noob
Im sorry but this is false. TS has no connection with Capcom other than the fact that they stream their games. If anything, Capcom uses TS to promote their games. Just look at Seth coming to tourneys with early beta versions of SF X Tekken and getting stream time over games that actually matter. Its a brilliant move by Capcom to be honest. But Sp00ky isnt about Capcom.. he is about the FGC. If Ed was there showing off early versions of MK10... Sp00ky would be showing it too.

Sp00ky isnt behind closed doors trying to scheme up ways to screw over the MK scene. Its up to the people running the event to give Sp00ky games to put on stream. Joe has been working his ass off organizing this entire thing and he gets dealt the short straw with the power outage and an enormous ammount of unexpected entries.

Im sure if Sp00ky could have it his way, he would have multiple streams going at once and a much larger production than he has now.

I just feel like you guys are putting the blame in the wrong place. TS does a hell of a job. If you really want to see the games that bad.. you might need to just go to the tournament. Dont act ignorant and selfish because we didnt get to see "our game" on a channel based for ALL fighting games.
I couldn't agree more. Basically, if MK folks want MK to get huge, then go out and support, enter tourneys, put in the work. Don't be an "armchair quarterback' and just complain because it's easier.
While I love seeing MK on stream, it doesn't have the draw due to the lack of support compared to Marvel and AE. Also, I am curious if sp00ky's stream was trying to compete with Shadowloo Showdown in AUS for views, where MK obviously wasn't played. If that was the case, then unfortunately MK would have to lose out, due to its lower popularity.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!

dude i REALLY REALLY want to agree with you man, but the fact of the matter is even when we have a shit load of people at majors we still get shafted on the stream. does that sound fair or right to you? im not looking to put the blame all on TS, but when its their stream and they choose to put what they want ont it, who else is there? i say if its that big of a problem then we just do it ourselves then or support the people in our community like Phil so they can stream for MK9 community at majors they can go to and such. because the fact of the matter is its not working for us to try use the popular stream to play our game when the haters have control of whats shown.

dude i REALLY REALLY want to agree with you man, but the fact of the matter is even when we have a shit load of people at majors we still get shafted on the stream. does that sound fair or right to you? im not looking to put the blame all on TS, but when its their stream and they choose to put what they want ont it, who else is there? i say if its that big of a problem then we just do it ourselves then or support the people in our community like Phil so they can stream for MK9 community at majors they can go to and such. because the fact of the matter is its not working for us to try use the popular stream to play our game when the haters have control of whats shown.
TS has some say in what is streamed, but it's mostly the TO.

And these tournaments are being supported by sponsors, which in turn gets TS out to be able to do what they do.

If the stream has 9k viewers on Marvel, and MK comes on and the stream drops to 5k, that makes it tough to validate more coverage to MK.

MK is ranked number 3 right now.

It's like the NHL or Soccer on TV in America, I like both sports better than the NBA, but it doesn't fucking matter because 90% of people in the country disagree with me.

I know you guys wanna see more MK, so do I. But you know how you can see 72 straight hours of MK? Go to a tournament.

JennyCage

t('.'t)
Normally I enjoy Spooky's streams but Saturday ECT WAS a little off. MK stream gets cancelled, then when the night is coming to a close, they put up 3 or 4 matches, get Tom Brady on commentary for them, then "IT'S MARVEL BABY" back to the same game that had been streaming all day. Even Tom sounded a little surprised ("You're doing Marvel or is there more MK?"). There were 135 entrants to MK, I have a hard time believing they couldn't find matches. Stuff like that doesn't make the stream look as non-biased as you suggest. But whatever, I wasn't there, maybe there was a legit reason to go back to Marvel. I just hope MK doesn't get sidelined on its EVO coverage.

Regardless today's stream was great, the commentators actually knew the game, Brady was taking the many chat trolls in good spirits, the matches were good and everything went off without a hitch. To steal something someone said in chat: "great chomp, great hissperience."

I don't see the huge evil plot against MK. I mean whatever happens happens and it really wasn't anyone's fault that their was a power outage.

Mickael

Noob
Why is MK not as popular as SF? WHY GODAMIT!!..?

I don't understand why people disagree or not understand when people defend the low MK tournament player numbers to just it being a brand new game.. if you're looking for new players that aren't already in the SF or MvC series, then we will just have to wait for it. Capcom has been pretty much the one and only dog in the room in regards to fighting game tournaments...
People, especially new tournament players, need to warm up to NRS new MK game... after all, it's their FIRST really legitimate tournament fighter since the franchise started 20 years ago.

BTW, I thought Tom Brady was going to play.. no?

burnman

Noob
Why is MK not as popular as SF? WHY GODAMIT!!..?
It's never had a strong tourney following compared to SF, even during the "glory days" when SFII was the main game. I think part of it is that it isn't huge in Japan, where arcades are still big, which makes no scene for it there.

In regards to the new one, I think there are some things that should be able to be turned off for tournaments (which would help in tourney viability):

-turn off fatalities (yea they are fun, but seeing reptiles one fatality for the thousandth time, esp if you have your son or daughter watching with you, is pretty sucky)

-Kombat Kodes (these type of variances have no place in a tourney setting)

-Toasty (yes it's a cool gimmick, but the possibilty of a match being upset because of someone getting a full meter just leaves too much to chance)

The fact that these aren't options to have the possibility of turning off make the whole thing (IMHO) a much tougher sell.

I also think that MK gets a lack of respect is because up until this game, a lot of the MK heritage has been less than stellar, at least from a tournament standpoint. While Capcom has had its flops as well (SVC Chaos, Capcom Fighting Evolution), its bread and butter games they make sure to spend the time to make them right. For a long time the MK franchise seemed more concerned with money, and less with the community. I do see this changing now though, and hope it keeps this way.

Sorry to rant for so long. :p