What's new

General/Other - Pyromancer Tanya Pyromancer Discussion Thread

Jyakotu

The traitor to Edenia and to all the realms!
The teleport nerfs don't help this variation at all and it honestly makes me wish that the variations didn't exist anymore. I would rather Tanya have access to the fireballs in all her variations instead of the gimped teleports.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The teleport nerfs don't help this variation at all and it honestly makes me wish that the variations didn't exist anymore. I would rather Tanya have access to the fireballs in all her variations instead of the gimped teleports.
Kobu Jutsu with fireballs would be broken.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'm kinda feeling the pyro specific nerf wasn't needed.

This one feels very... laggy?
It wasn't. The damage nerf would have been enough(and even that was a little overboard).

I find now you have to iaback tele and cancel into fireball upon landing, otherwise the recovery is too bad to get anything going. Her zoning became much more sttraight forward and she doesnt build a lot of meter either. I still think this variation is ok though.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Pyromancer vs Inferno:

Low and High minion beat out zoning, so can't zone this variation. If I try to jump free teleport for 40%+ damage.
He can teleport out of f4,3 and b3,1,2 at every comma, 40%+ damage.
Would love some advice because frankly, all I can do is 112shroud against this variation and I feel like Jade allover again: I struggle to get in and deal 20% and then he blows me up for 40.
I mean back when teleport could go through high minion, it felt like the matchup is 7-3.
Currently it feels more like 11- -1
Advice appreciated.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
i feel like they should buff tanya huge after the amount of nerfs theyve been dumping on her since release lol
Th problem with the Tanya nerfs for Pyro were that they were universal nerfs across the board and Pyro has a minimum set of tools compared to the other variations. So she suffered pretty bad.

She doesn't recieve any new strings or normals. Only increased chip on a single string that has a gap that most people are backdashing or armoring through at this point in the game.

The only thing this variation has for it at this point is shroud/ex shroud being a safe mid special. Which leads to some gimmicks.

Increased recovery on her teleport, removing the armor on ex, and removing invincibility frames really messed with this variations hit and run game style. Her ground fireball game is pretty average thanks to wiff recovery.

Pyro Tanya is almost variation less Tanya at this point.

But what does this variation need to be better without subsequently buffing her best variation (currently) Kobu?
Take away the extra 5 frames of recovery from air fireballs. Less recovery in general from her fireballs she is a zoner that can be zoned out/counter zoned by a decent number of people.

Add another variation specific string that has similar damage increase like the last hit of b3,1,2 or make her f3 overhead do increased damage damage/chip when the opponent has a shroud on them like 16% or so. This way she'll have a real low risk low reward mix up.

There's a lotta things she also needs like most/some of her gaps fixed in strings as well. But that's a universal problem with Tanya.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Should i rebuy Tanya after all the Nerfs and buggs?

is what im asking is should i spend the $5.00 to learn her, or should i wait for Smoke;)

SlingshoT

LK-7T2
Should i rebuy Tanya after all the Nerfs and buggs?

is what im asking is should i spend the $5.00 to learn her, or should i wait for Smoke;)
I dont think you have to re-buy anything, if you already bought her then you should have the option to just reinstall, she's still alot of fun regardless of nerfs/bugs, i still main her lol

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I dont think you have to re-buy anything, if you already bought her then you should have the option to just reinstall, she's still alot of fun regardless of nerfs/bugs, i still main her lol
i bought her on PS4 and i have XB1 now? i kinda left that out...

so should i rebuy her?

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
So I picked up Tanya and I'm enjoying Pyro a lot. Who do you guys think she struggles against using this variation?

SlingshoT

LK-7T2
i have alot of trouble fighting anyone with a good anti air but i usually find a way around it

EDIT: if you're having any trouble with Pyro Tanya i've got quite a few gameplay videos on my youtube channel as she is my main in MKX.. feel free Youtube.com/SLintegra

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
i have alot of trouble fighting anyone with a good anti air but i usually find a way around it

EDIT: if you're having any trouble with Pyro Tanya i've got quite a few gameplay videos on my youtube channel as she is my main in MKX.. feel free Youtube.com/SLintegra
Don't mind if I do :D

gibster13

A fan of fans
Pyromancer needs serious buffs. She needs to deviate from kobu slightly. Kobu can be her main variation but pyro needs to be viable again.

1)it has no dmg
2)fireballs are shit

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
This variation is the perfect test for your patient lol. Playing Pyro is like playing Balance Kenshi when major damage comes from throw. HOWEVER Pyro still has 7f poke and some +2 on block. Her armor is amazing too (leads to vortex, means moar throws)

As far as buffs go that wouldn't buff Kobu, it would be interesting if her Drill and Flip kicks have "Fire" attached to them in the Pyromancer variation, like they used to in MK Deception and Armageddon, for increased Shroud damage off of those specials. But that might be a little too explosive.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I need some help. I'm playing around with Pyro since the new update. It says -10 for recover in High fireball and -9 for low. What does it mean to be negative on recover rather then positive like a normal combo? Im confused on that.

Her ex shroud should act like her boomerag in kobu but activate in air aswell. And she needs more variation strings this has to be the only variation in the game with only 1 variation specific string.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I need advice

Tanya is my no 2 character after Kitana and always will be. I am finding getting decent meterless damage in a real match over low 20% difficult with Pyro.

F3 is out as you cannot get a fully charged one out in a real match. 2u3 is not great either and has a crappy run cancel. So she is heavily meter dependent for ex tele / drill to get decent combos and even then you are doing low to mid 30's.

This was never really a problem with Kobu as big combos were not really in her game plan and when you wanted to, you always had a ton of meter to burn for the pop up ex-rekka / ex drill / ex tele / ex tonfa toss and it is not a problem with DN as it has strings which cancel to pogo for great damage and if you do use meter, the damage is huge.

I think the main reason this is a problem for me is because I use Kitana / Mileena / Kung Jin / Ermac who have several threatening pop ups and / or arial attacks leading to combos which works well with how I play the game.

I am also finding that I am dusting the opponent and having little to do with it as unlike most of the dubuff / buff moves, it only hits once. The opponent blocks your next attack you have to go in and do the setup again. It is a shame that she does not have another fire based string. b312 has gaps and having another decent fire mixup would really help without being OP.

Don't get me wrong, I love her, but with more people playing pyro, I just need some advice

I need advice

Tanya is my no 2 character after Kitana and always will be. I am finding getting decent meterless damage in a real match over low 20% difficult with Pyro.

F3 is out as you cannot get a fully charged one out in a real match. 2u3 is not great either and has a crappy run cancel. So she is heavily meter dependent for ex tele / drill to get decent combos and even then you are doing low to mid 30's.

This was never really a problem with Kobu as big combos were not really in her game plan and when you wanted to, you always had a ton of meter to burn for the pop up ex-rekka / ex drill / ex tele / ex tonfa toss and it is not a problem with DN as it has strings which cancel to pogo for great damage and if you do use meter, the damage is huge.

I think the main reason this is a problem for me is because I use Kitana / Mileena / Kung Jin / Ermac who have several threatening pop ups and / or arial attacks leading to combos which works well with how I play the game.

I am also finding that I am dusting the opponent and having little to do with it as unlike most of the dubuff / buff moves, it only hits once. The opponent blocks your next attack you have to go in and do the setup again. It is a shame that she does not have another fire based string. b312 has gaps and having another decent fire mixup would really help without being OP.

Don't get me wrong, I love her, but with more people playing pyro, I just need some advice
This is what she needs: Universally, she needs frames off of her F3, and in Pyro F3 should do more damage when shrouded. (Shroud still works for a fireball) Two more fireball strings. (One being a true mid) Shroud lasts a little bit longer and EX shroud stuns to continue combos mid screen and corner.

Last edited:
This is what she needs: Universally, she needs frames off of her F3, and in Pyro F3 should do more damage. Two more fireball strings. Shroud lasts a little bit longer and EX shroud stuns to continue combos mid screen and corner.
I keep saying it over n over its my mk wet dream, that her ex shroud stuns, only fair for the crazy lack of strings that she has in pyro.

I need advice

I don't think she has any above 20 unless you jump in but you can do 2u3 f3 db4. Or you can 2u3 f3 shroud them. She really needs more string and for shroud to stun. She needs this desperately. 34 nerf was more of a nerf to dragon and pyro then kobu, that hurt her. But yes I'm finding the same difficulties as you. But when your up close you should be using 112 Teleport cancel and b31 Teleport cancel to continue pressure and you usually will end up getting them at some point in those

Last edited:

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I have a new idea: give her Pyro-exclusive teleport moves that have lots of invincible frames, and increase fire ball damage to 8% ground, 7% air, 12% ex. She will have amazing zoning/spacing/escaping game. She doesn't need combos.