What's new

Guide - Dragon Naginata Tanya Dragon Naginata Full Advanced Guide + Combos + Setups + Tech

Hey Guys and Gals!

Here to present my Dragon Naginata Guide + Combos + Setups + Tech to everyone that is willing to learn this awesome and fun variation of TANYA!

Dragon Naginata is a conditioning, space control, whiff punishing, runaway and a mixup variation of Tanya! This variation allows Tanya to flourish in her mobility and frustrate a lot of characters/variations that do not have any aircontrol or long reaching normals. This variation requires high execution but with that being said, it grants Tanya really high damage opportunity with and without using a bar of meter. Rushdown wise this variation is not so good, but has a lot of up close gimmicks that you will read about below.

[Air Staff Stance]
Dragon Naginata gives Tanya unique staff attacks that have very nice range, and it also adds unique strings with pre-existing normals. I will get to that in a second. The key thing in this variation is the Air Staff Stance which is also referred as the 'Pogo' or 'Pogo Stance'. Air Staff Stance (D2 in Air) is an overhead attack and it allows Tanya to sit on her staff and choose what to perform after the Air Staff Stance, the startup of the overhead move is 12 frames and it is -20 on block, you can jab Tanya anytime when you block her staff stance, because any follow-up attack after is NOT a true block string. Tanya gets to access 3 different moves off of a Air Staff Stance, one of them is a mid hitting fast attack and its input is 4, the startup on it is 14 frames and its -15 on block, but due to blockstun and the pushback on this move it is completely safe. Another one a relatively slow attack which is a low, grants Tanya a hard knockdown and has a good range, and its input is 3, the startuo on this move is 20 frames and on block it is -21. The last but definitely not the least, is a great range air leaping and fairly slow overhead attack that allows Tanya to combo off of anywhere, its input is 1. Air Staff Stance 1 can only be linked with Tanya's overhead flip kick midscreen, however in corner this move can be linked into any normal attack and special attack that Tanya has. The startup on Air Staff Stance 1/ Staff Slam is 33 frames and its 0 on block.

Tanya can connect Air Staff Stance 2 times in a combo, and that can be done by cancelling the Air Staff Stance into a forward jump which is f2 or neutral jump which is just 2 off of Air Staff Stance. Also Tanya can cancel Air Staff Stance into a back jump which will be b2 while she is on her staff.

[B2]
One of the great normals that Tanya gets in Dragon Naginata is b2, it is a long range mid (can be low profiled) that does 7% damage and is +1 on hit. Its startup is 13 frames and is full combo punishable at -22. It cannot be special canceled, however it grants a hard knockdown if Tanya anti airs with it.

[DB2]
A truly unique staff anti air move that Tanya gets in Dragon Naginata, the move is slow startup and does not have a good range for anti airing. It can only be used as a hard read. However, this move grants a combo opportunity in the corner.

[B1, B12]
Another normal that Tanya gets is b1, a long high slow move, where Tanya swings her naginata at the opponent, it can be special canceled and it is 23 frames startup and is +2 on block. However b1 has its own unique string of b12, which is a high low, it has a gap in between first and second its and its -9 on block. However this whole string advances Tanya forward and the second part of the string comes out no matter if the opponent is not nearby.

[B32]
Tanya has a universal low that is b3, a relatively fast low kick that leads her to combos if it is linked with a meter burned front teleport or Edenian drill. However in Dragon Naginata Tanya gets a string of b32 which is only available in this variation. This is a very good 5 hitting, armor breaking string that can be special canceled before the overhead part of the string. b32 consists of low, mid, mid, mid, overhead and it is 0 on block. It covers a great range after the low part of the string is finished, and this string into a teleport cancel grants Tanya a small meterless combo opportunity anywhere on the screen. This string does 16% damage and i highly recommend everyone that wants to play Dragon Naginata, to use this string for mixups. As everyone expects overhead at the end of the string you cancel b32 into drill for high risk pop-up, or into a teleport cancel and another b32 or pogo or throw. The teleport cancel with this string does not leave Tanya at advantage.

[F42]
Very nice 'get off me' combo ender string is added in Dragon Naginata. Tanya has a universal string of f4, which is a 11 frame mid that usually goes into a low with f43, however Dragon Naginata has added f42. This string is a mid overhead hitting, and it covers great range and grants Tanya a hard knockdown at the 3/4 of the screen. f42 does not have a gap, however it is -12 on block. The second part of the string low profiles Tanya and allows her to get under some mid projectiles to punish with a overhead part of the string while she is ducking.

[BF2, EX BF2]
A very important special move that is added to this variation is Staff Swing (bf2), a great range armor breaking (up-close only) forward lunging move. This move flips Tanya forward and after she hits the opponent with her legs, she flips back. This move is 14 frame startup and -24 on block. Keep in mind even though Staff Swing is -24 it is safe against 95% of the cast that does not have a fast forward advancing reversal. This special allows Tanya to cover a great range and keep opponents that want to throw a projectile in check. It spaces her back enough for instant Air Staff Stance 4 or 3 to condition, f2, or b2 all for conditioning. If the opponent decides to jump at Tanya after blocking this special move, they will not reach her, unless they are Kotal Kahn, Kung Lao, Alien, Sonya, Quan Chi or Predator. However Tanya has enough time to go back and space out the jump and trip guard after a blocked Staff Swing. None of the characters listed above have option to punish Tanya's Staff Swing with their reversals.

Staff Swing can be meterburned as well, it does not grant Tanya armor, but it is a unique way to combo your opponent on hit. Tanya swings on her naginata, goes up in the air and gets into Staff Stance, from which you get to decide how you want to end your combo. If they have blocked your Meterburned Staff Swing, it is -10 on block and Tanya's opponent has the option to jab her out or armor out, the only way to make it safe is to go for another Air Staff Stance or cancel the Staff Stance into back jump. If Tanya anti-airs her opponent with meterburned Staff Swing, depending on the height she can combo off of it, by canceling the Staff Stance into neutral jump and a followup by her choice. (Demonstrated in the video below)

[Tech]
The most important things in this variation are Air Staff Stance, Staff Swing, B32, B2. A very nice tech that i have found or developed is that Staff Swing beats out slides, rolls, crawls, it low crushes, goes over the low projectiles and if it is timed correctly it goes over Shinnok's Hell Sparks and punishes Shinnok.

What Tanya has to do in this variation is to frustrate her opponent by keeping them in check, using B2, instant Air Staff Stance and Staff Swing. Also When Tanya received a nerf back in July, when she cannot go on with pressing buttons after a teleport into a jump in, in Dragon Naginata she can. Before landing on the ground after a teleport into jump in, i.e f2 teleport jump in. Tanya has the opportunity to cancel into Air Staff Stance after the jump in to make herself safe, and to punish any opponent that will dare to press a button after.

Ending a combo into from Staff Stance 3, grants Tanya a free Staff Swing or B2 on block. Ending a combo with F43 allows Tanya to destroy every single wakeup armor, except for Kung Lao's Cyclone, with her B32.

As i said Staff Stance is punishable, here is the demonstration for it, so there is no miscommunication.

[Combos]
Tanya can land every single universal string of hers into teleport into Air Staff Stance, which allow for combo to be continued. These moves include. 112, 4, b31, f2. These are the strings that leave opponent standing while they are hit. Keep in mind that Dragon Naginata is a very high execution variation, and it cannot be learned in a week. Also i will be referring to Air Staff Stance with Pogo in the combo list.

Meterless Midscreen

112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 flip 30%
112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 staff swing 30%
112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc b32 flip 30%
112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f43 29%
112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f42 28%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 flip 29%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 staff swing 29%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 b32 flip 30%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f43 29%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f42 27%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 flip 31%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 staff swing 31%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc b32 flip 31%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f43 30%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f42 28%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 staff swing 33%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 b32 flip 34%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f43 32%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 f42 30%
b32 tele cancel d1 rc 112 flip 26%
b32 tele cancel d1 f2 flip 24%
b32 tele cancel d1 rc b32 flip 28%

1 Bar of meter Midscreen

112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 flip 36%
112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 staff swing 36%
112 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc b32 flip 36%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 flip 36%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 staff swing 36%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc b32 flip 36%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 flip 38%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 staff swing 38%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc b32 flip 38%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 flip 41%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 staff swing 42%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 2u3 rc 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc b32 flip 43%
112 tele pogo pogo ji 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 112 flip 42%
f2 tele pogo pogo ji 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 b32 flip 43%
4 tele pogo pogo ji 4 ex tele ji4 tele nj rc 4 f42 38%
b31 tele pogo pogo ji 34 ex drill b31 rc 112 flip 43%

Corner Meterless

pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 flip 34%
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 b32 flip 35%
pogo pogo 1 4 4 d1 112 flip 39%
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 staff swing 35%
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 4 staff swing 35%

Corner 1 Bar of Meter
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 ex drill 4 flip 42%
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 ex drill b32 flip 43%
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 ex tele nj b32 flip 45%
pogo pogo 1 4 4 d1 112 ex drill 4 flip 46%
pogo pogo 1 4 4 d1 112 ex tele nj b32 flip 47%

Corner 2 Bars of Meter

pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 ex tele nj 4 ex drill 4 flip 48%
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 ex tele nj 4 ex drill b32 flip 49%
pogo pogo 1 4 d1 112 ex tele nj 4 ex staff swing 4 48%

Please check my advanced combo video below, and every single combo works except for the one that has Tanya using 34 string, because it got nerfed for unknown reasons ;) and THANK YOU FOR READING THE GUIDE! ENJOY AND HAVE FUN WITH NAGINATA!

@Awkward Sloth @SethHendrixson @EdenianWarrior @EMPEROR PRYCE @Emperor Eevee @16 Bit @Espio @Laos_boy @Magnum Magpie @Dragons Rule!!! @Rip Torn @vegeta @1man3letters @Akromaniac27 @Brian5524_ @DanteDemonZ @InfamousSloth @Cameronwinss

Last edited:

Thanks for the tag! I kid you not, I woke up this morning with thoughts of writing up a DN guide. Glad you beat me to the punch, saves me the time. :D

Although it looks like some of what you've written doesn't take the recent patch into consideration. Those combos no longer do as much damage because of the nerfs Tanya received. If you don't have the time then I could run through the list and give you the updated damage.

Thanks for the tag! I kid you not, I woke up this morning with thoughts of writing up a DN guide. Glad you beat me to the punch, saves me the time. :D

Although it looks like some of what you've written doesn't take the recent patch into consideration. Those combos no longer do as much damage because of the nerfs Tanya received. If you don't have the time then I could run through the list and give you the updated damage.
that would be splendid. on all of the combos that are listed please.

Thanks Vak, great detailed description on her variation.

Everything you've said pretty much covers it all.

Just some advice for people wanting to pick it up. You wanna use her crazy movement, variation specific strings and spacing in a really clever and coordinated way so that your opponent really just can't find a solution or an answer to any of you tacktics and bs shinnanigans.

Good job.

Brian5524_

"I will rip out your throat!"
Excellent Guide Vak! I really learned a lot and I hope people will realize they have a skilled Tanya when they see one, rather then being blinded by B1,2+4; like you! I'm glad you made this, and thanks for tagging me bitch mm!

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
I remember slightly learning this variation a while back but couldn't figure out any decent combos without using ex teleport. Now I know. Thanks.

this is pretty cool. I'm planning on learning DN after I feel I've leveled up Pyro enough.
Pls do something to get her damage and 3,4 into db4 ender back. *prays*

evolution07

Updated damage for all combos that don't have a b31 starter. Well, updated for all combos excluding 'pogo pogo 1 4 4 d1 112 ex tele nj b32 flip,' since I couldn't get the njp to connect no matter how many times I tried. If any of you out there who have better execution than me (most of TYM tbh) want to give it a shot then go for it.
I got you.

One bar corner:

Pogo, pogo, 1, 4,4, 112, ex tele, NJK, B32, flip = 45%

I left out d1 and just substituted with 112 since it yields same results.

I'm curious about those b31 starters. Are they even possible? I can't make them link at all.

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Guys this is Vaks guide not a combo thread. Maybe you should message vak with these combos.

Anyway awesome guide dude.. I didn't know about that ex bf2 anti air combo. That's dope af.

evolution07

Yeah combos that are in the guide already... By me. ;)
Yeah that's cool, but the combos posted were just the ones with updated damage so I see nothing wrong.

Great guide btw. I wouldn't have even come up with any of these. I've been using this variation more as it's quite fun once you get used to it.