What's new

Video/Tutorial SZ: How to Get Past Lao's Teleport (Video)

Truth

Noob
As a fellow SZ player, I have heard countless times that Lao is his worse matchup because of the teleport. Fortunately for me, I had my friend main Lao at the beginning of the game and managed to get past the Teleport early on in the game. I finally returned to playing MK9 after I had my Xbox fixed and wanted to share a video guide on how to get past the teleport. Enjoy and Discuss!

Truth

Noob
Can't you just d1 AA into 212 ice ball?
SZ's D1 is very inconsistent when it comes to AA, especially against something such as Lao's Teleport. I have tried messing around it with in training mode, but I just don't see it being possible in an actual match, especially considering Lao's speed and mobility.

Seapeople

This one's for you
d1, 212~freeze is tough. You have to wait for the 3 to whiff and then punish which makes the timing way to strict.

Kung Lao's teleport isn't OP by itself. You can punish all his options easily with an uppercut. It's OP because his blockstrings into teleport~3 jail against high hitbox characters.

Truth

Noob
d1, 212~freeze is tough. You have to wait for the 3 to whiff and then punish which makes the timing way to strict.

Kung Lao's teleport isn't OP by itself. You can punish all his options easily with an uppercut. It's OP because his blockstrings into teleport~3 jail against high hitbox characters.
If his Tele~3 whiffs when SZ does D4, then there is no way Lao is going to be able to start jailing you into strings.

Truth

Noob
Lol no, his block strings by themselves jail into tele~3.
Explain what you mean by "jail" here? From my understanding, jailing someone means the opponent can no longer crouch block if they were stand blocking or going in the opposite direction, not be able to stand block if you began initially blocking low. I'm not sure where you're getting at? If the Tele~3 already whiffs, how can Lao jail since best pressure strings like 1121, 21, etc, that he will use as follow-up will start with true highs? Care to explain or elaborate on your point?

Truth

Noob
You sure? Because this will bump Sub a few spots if it's true. Only if it's true.
@ Truth
Like I said, I have tested this for months when my friend (who mained Lao) and I used to play MK9. He couldn't find a way around that, so he primarily had to play footsies and zone the hell out of my SZ. I don't know what Seapeople is referring to. Jailing a person into a block string requires the first string to already hit you. How can Lao jail you into a string if the 1st hit already whiffs, or if you use my last option, appear behind Lao as he teleports.

no.. this is NOT what gives sub problems. there is a way for KL to attack and teleport and have sub-zero almost helpless. KL also has waaaaaay to much air mobility for sub-zero. i will absolutely murder any sub-zero with KL.

Truth

Noob
no.. this is NOT what gives sub problems. there is a way for KL to attack and teleport and have sub-zero almost helpless. KL also has waaaaaay to much air mobility for sub-zero. i will absolutely murder any sub-zero with KL.
Care to elaborate on the problems Tom?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Just because your friend plays Lao doesn't mean that A) its at a high level or B) he knows how to keep Sub jailed.

Even IF he couldn't do that... Lao is just too mobile for Sub to keep up and that is a fact. He gets around Sub easy and laughs at his strings. This really is one of the most lopsided match ups in the game.

Truth

Noob
Just because your friend plays Lao doesn't mean that A) its at a high level or B) he knows how to keep Sub jailed.

Even IF he couldn't do that... Lao is just too mobile for Sub to keep up and that is a fact. He gets around Sub easy and laughs at his strings. This really is one of the most lopsided match ups in the game.
Can we be clear on what we mean by jailed here? As for Lao being mobile, you could apply that too any matchup Lao is up against...he is the most mobile character in the game.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I myself have no specifics on it. That is why I don't elaborate. I simply know what Tom has said. I believe him considering he and PL were the ones doing the fighting.

In any case. KL is not affected by 2,1 pressure the same way Sektor or Reptile aren't. He can SPIN if he ducks a 2 and combo into pressure. He can avoid any clone you put up by simply teleporting or dive kicking. He can stay in your face with really no penalty.

Truth

Noob
I myself have no specifics on it. That is why I don't elaborate. I simply know what Tom has said. I believe him considering he and PL were the ones doing the fighting.

In any case. KL is not affected by 2,1 pressure the same way Sektor or Reptile aren't. He can SPIN if he ducks a 2 and combo into pressure. He can avoid any clone you put up by simply teleporting or dive kicking. He can stay in your face with really no penalty.
From what I know about fighting game terms, jailing means the opponent must block the whole string either high or low. The thing that you mentioned about Lao being able to spin out of 21 or 22 is something that goods in theory, but not in actual practice. Lao is risking being comboed punished just to get out of 21 pressure. That very same argument could be made for Lao if he wanted to stop people from poking him. You have to measure the benefits vs. costs here in this scenario.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I am... its totally free. He can simply duck a 2 at anytime... whether he is blocking or not. Sub can not touch him. Even so... he can poke or what not basically for free off of anything. It is the same concept as Sektor, which Tom broke down very well.

Truth

Noob
I am... its totally free. He can simply duck a 2 at anytime... whether he is blocking or not. Sub can not touch him. Even so... he can poke or what not basically for free off of anything. It is the same concept as Sektor, which Tom broke down very well.
You know this concept applies to Lao as well since his pressure also begins with true highs right?

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
If his Tele~3 whiffs when SZ does D4, then there is no way Lao is going to be able to start jailing you into strings.
You can't D4 if you're jailed. And if you try, you will be eating full combo. This vid is pointless. Good effort, but pointless.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I think everyone can agree this thread is pointless? You should either be uppercutting or hitting KL with d4 out of his teleport.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I think everyone can agree this thread is pointless? You should either be uppercutting or hitting KL with d4 out of his teleport.
I rather back dash 22~Ice Blast him off the air or d1 into 212~Ice Blast but this one is tricky.

But anyways the thread is pointless because Truth didn't even understand what's been jailed by KL's teleport. I'll try to find the vid that Tom Brady did and post here. One sec.

Edit: Meh, I think Tom deleted his tier list series from his youtube channel. It was a serie of vids that detailed character by character against Sub-Zero. And when he was talking about Kung Lao he demonstrate how free Sub-Zero is against him because of the teleport jail shit.

Soryo

Ice is my body, and glass is my heart.
So in otherwords, there isnt a damn thing Sub-Zero can do against Kung Lao...