What's new

Swamp Thing Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
If youve played any gears 4 you know that just because there is a rainbow of colors to choose from does not mean a rainbow is always appropriate. The last thing I want is a giant pink swamp thing. Different shades of green with a blue or something mixed in is perfect. Atrocitus has different reds, batman has blues and blacks, GL can be the rainbow character but with how good this game looks visually the last thing I want is for it to be ruined by some 13 year old purposely trying to make their character look retarded

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I think his trait could have something to do with puddle but idk man. It's really hard to tell what his trait is when it could be SO MANY things. I want a more in depth video about him soon like we got with Canary.

CrazyFingers

So if you look here, you will see Swamp Thing doing something that is clearly a throw. However what you also see is that the camera angle isn't typical of a normal throw. Conclusion? Close up command grab?
EDIT: Go to the 57 second mark.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
So if you look here, you will see Swamp Thing doing something that is clearly a throw. However what you also see is that the camera angle isn't typical of a normal throw. Conclusion? Close up command grab?
EDIT: Go to the 57 second mark.
It's the air grab we saw at 0:34 and 0:52. You can tell for sure because at 0:52 you see Swampy grab Batman but it doesn't show the end, then at 0:57 it resumes, same stage, same exact spot. It means that he can choose whether to sideswitch with it.

At
1:03 we see a different throw. So I think one is a Command Grab and the other is 1+3 Throw. I believe the one you're talking about, the one he's using on airborne opponents is the Command Grab. And it may even only work against airborne opponents.

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

I see your custom title so much it's driven me to re-read Alan Moores Holy Text. I might have to defect from the Ivy League if she doesn't get planty-er
That is my favorite line from what i've read of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. It's so good.

CrazyFingers

The command grab looks similar Gargos'. Could be similar to where he can add some punches and other options as well
In the ign breakdown the author mentioned that the Gargos Esque command grab (Green Thumb is what it's called apparently) has three options. Throwing them fullscreen, throwing them midscreen, or restanding them. It also apparently heals.

This looks like a normal string to me, the advance and range is just massive. Looks like it hits from almost half-screen. It pops the opponent up on hit and I imagine it can be canceled into some special, like the log kick. Probably safe on block. Should be easy to combo off of in the corner.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Interactible B3 into what appears to be either a Command Grab or a blockable special with a grab animation i.e. Jax Gotcha Grab. It honestly doesn't look like a true Command Grab to me. You can see Swampy crouching just before it comes out, so input is probably DF1 or something. Almost looks like it could be a high, or possibly even a surface-to-air grab.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hard to see in this GIF, but he actually goes into his teabag animation before doing this. The teabag/puddle crouch may even be like a Covert Ops/Killer/Drunken Master stance, where several special options are available from it. Or it's just his crouch animation. This particular move looks straightforward, just a fullscreen or 3/4 screen, presumably mid-hitting, probably does at least 10% and places the enemy at least halfscreen away. The application will be mostly zoning wars. You do the crouch/teabag, and then quickly do the vine grab. It does come out respectably quick.

THAT JUMP IN 2 THO! :eek: The range is absolutely nasty. This is the new Ferra/Torr NJP. We then see a string starting with the Noob Saibot clone coming out, hard to tell if the clone hits Overhead or Low, but we can tell it's definitely a pre-canned string and not a special since the clone actually replaces the old Swampy mid-combo.

Here we see another couple specials: a meterburned clone that grabs the enemy for a follow-up. We can't tell how the clone is blocked, but if it actually hits from behind and the opponent needs to move forward, that's just going to be filthy. Then we see him do a same-side telepunch, looks like it may be Overhead.

Next is a meterburned slide for a juggle, looks like it will low profile lots of things. Followed by the air grab again.

We see a 3-hit string with what looks like a Tremor punch at the end, followed by Log Kick. That's his Low zoning option and should allow him at least some mixup potential on most any string with an Overhead. If Ferra/Torr's Bowl Girl is any indication, it's possible this can be meterburned to launch the opponent toward Swampy for a full combo on Hit.

Meterburned Anti-Air on Batman. The good thing about this AA is it covers the space directly above his head, should be solid at dealing with crossups, especially from characters with air dashes like Superman, but unfortunately I think it'll have to be done on a read since it will be too slow to use on reaction. Interestingly, some branches also grow out of the ground near Swampy's feet. Wonder if those have a hitbox as well.

The WoWo shield throw confirms the teabag is either just a crouch, or if it is a stance, low profiles some projectiles. Then we see what looks like his 1+3 Throw followed by a string that kicks the opponent about Jump distance away. I think this string will be good for placing the opponent at a distance where Swampy excels due to his long normals.

This is just beautiful. A long range surface-to-air grab for punishing those online warrior jumping beans. Unfortunately the meterburn doesn't look like it leads to a combo, probably just does more damage. And lastly, the Super looks like it possibly rises up enough to grab airborne opponents.

Overall, my first impression of Swampy is he seems like a unique blend of counter-zoner with several anti-air options for any sort of jump-in or crossup with long-range footies. I think the key to winning with him will be exploiting that midscreen space in neutral, where Swampy has reach advantage over almost everyone and can even anti-air on a read.
"Don't make me cry" Canary voice, all the links except the first 2 aren't working

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
"Don't make me cry" Canary voice, all the links except the first 2 aren't working
lol that's kind of shitty, but I'm not making those GIFs again. The hype has kind of died down now and it's all in the reveal trailer, I'm pretty sure people reading the post know what I'm talking about.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You know I wasn't particularly hype for this character at first since I didn't know much about him but after the gameplay was revealed he looked like how I thought Ivy would play, and he also reminds me a little of Kan Ra who I main in KI, so this'll be one character I mess about with early on. If he's a space control/zoner type or at least defensive in....nature (ba dmm tss) then I might stick around but Deadshot, Brainiac and Doctor Fate might be a little more appealing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.