What's new

Swamp Thing Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual

This looks like a normal string to me, the advance and range is just massive. Looks like it hits from almost half-screen. It pops the opponent up on hit and I imagine it can be canceled into some special, like the log kick. Probably safe on block. Should be easy to combo off of in the corner.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Interactible B3 into what appears to be either a Command Grab or a blockable special with a grab animation i.e. Jax Gotcha Grab. It honestly doesn't look like a true Command Grab to me. You can see Swampy crouching just before it comes out, so input is probably DF1 or something. Almost looks like it could be a high, or possibly even a surface-to-air grab.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hard to see in this GIF, but he actually goes into his teabag animation before doing this. The teabag/puddle crouch may even be like a Covert Ops/Killer/Drunken Master stance, where several special options are available from it. Or it's just his crouch animation. This particular move looks straightforward, just a fullscreen or 3/4 screen, presumably mid-hitting, probably does at least 10% and places the enemy at least halfscreen away. The application will be mostly zoning wars. You do the crouch/teabag, and then quickly do the vine grab. It does come out respectably quick.

THAT JUMP IN 2 THO! :eek: The range is absolutely nasty. This is the new Ferra/Torr NJP. We then see a string starting with the Noob Saibot clone coming out, hard to tell if the clone hits Overhead or Low, but we can tell it's definitely a pre-canned string and not a special since the clone actually replaces the old Swampy mid-combo.

Here we see another couple specials: a meterburned clone that grabs the enemy for a follow-up. We can't tell how the clone is blocked, but if it actually hits from behind and the opponent needs to move forward, that's just going to be filthy. Then we see him do a same-side telepunch, looks like it may be Overhead.

Next is a meterburned slide for a juggle, looks like it will low profile lots of things. Followed by the air grab again.

We see a 3-hit string with what looks like a Tremor punch at the end, followed by Log Kick. That's his Low zoning option and should allow him at least some mixup potential on most any string with an Overhead. If Ferra/Torr's Bowl Girl is any indication, it's possible this can be meterburned to launch the opponent toward Swampy for a full combo on Hit.

Meterburned Anti-Air on Batman. The good thing about this AA is it covers the space directly above his head, should be solid at dealing with crossups, especially from characters with air dashes like Superman, but unfortunately I think it'll have to be done on a read since it will be too slow to use on reaction. Interestingly, some branches also grow out of the ground near Swampy's feet. Wonder if those have a hitbox as well.

The WoWo shield throw confirms the teabag is either just a crouch, or if it is a stance, low profiles some projectiles. Then we see what looks like his 1+3 Throw followed by a string that kicks the opponent about Jump distance away. I think this string will be good for placing the opponent at a distance where Swampy excels due to his long normals.

This is just beautiful. A long range surface-to-air grab for punishing those online warrior jumping beans. Unfortunately the meterburn doesn't look like it leads to a combo, probably just does more damage. And lastly, the Super looks like it possibly rises up enough to grab airborne opponents.

Overall, my first impression of Swampy is he seems like a unique blend of counter-zoner with several anti-air options for any sort of jump-in or crossup with long-range footies. I think the key to winning with him will be exploiting that midscreen space in neutral, where Swampy has reach advantage over almost everyone and can even anti-air on a read.

Last edited:

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
BEST CHAR THEY VE MADE IN BOTH GAMES THIS FAR

(we may live without grundy after all)

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You

This looks like a normal string to me, the advance and range is just massive. Looks like it hits from almost half-screen. It pops the opponent up on hit and I imagine it can be canceled into some special, like the log kick. Probably safe on block. Should be easy to combo off of in the corner.

Interactible into what appears to be either a Command Grab or a blockable special with a grab animation i.e. Jax Gotcha Grab. It honestly doesn't look like a true Command Grab to me. You can see Swampy crouching just before it comes out, so input is probably DF1 or something. Almost looks like it could be a high, or possibly even a surface-to-air grab.

Hard to see in this GIF, but he actually goes into his teabag animation before doing this. The teabag/puddle crouch may even be like a Covert Ops/Killer/Drunken Master stance, where several special options are available from it. Or it's just his crouch animation. This particular move looks straightforward, just a fullscreen or 3/4 screen, presumably mid-hitting, probably does at least 10% and places the enemy at least halfscreen away. The application will be mostly zoning wars. You do the crouch/teabag, and then quickly do the vine grab. It does come out respectably quick.

THAT JUMP IN 3 THO! :eek: The range is absolutely nasty. This is the new Ferra/Torr NJP. We then see a string starting with the Noob Saibot clone coming out, hard to tell if the clone hits Overhead or Low, but we can tell it's definitely a pre-canned string and not a special since the clone actually replaces the old Swampy mid-combo.

Here we see another couple specials: a meterburned clone that grabs the enemy for a follow-up. We can't tell how the clone is blocked, but if it actually hits from behind and the opponent needs to move forward, that's just going to be filthy. Then we see him do a same-side telepunch, looks like it may be Overhead.

Next is a meterburned slide for a juggle, looks like it will low profile lots of things. Followed by the air grab again.

We see a 3-hit string with what looks like a Tremor punch at the end, followed by Log Kick. That's his Low zoning option and should allow him at least some mixup potential on most any string with an Overhead. If Ferra/Torr's Bowl Girl is any indication, it's possible this can be meterburned to launch the opponent toward Swampy for a full combo on Hit.

Meterburned Anti-Air on Batman. The good thing about this AA is it covers the space directly above his head, should be solid at dealing with crossups, especially from characters with air dashes like Superman, but unfortunately I think it'll have to be done on a read since it will be too slow to use on reaction. Interestingly, some branches also grow out of the ground near Swampy's feet. Wonder if those have a hitbox as well.

The WoWo shield throw confirms the teabag stance low profiles some projectiles! Then we see what looks like his 1+3 Throw followed by a string that kicks the opponent about Jump distance away. I think this string will be good for placing the opponent at a distance where Swampy excels due to his long normals.

This is just beautiful. A long range surface-to-air grab for punishing those online warrior jumping beans. Unfortunately the meterburn doesn't look like it leads to a combo, probably just does more damage. And lastly, the Super looks like it possibly rises up enough to grab airborne opponents.

Overall, my first impression of Swampy is he seems like a unique blend of counter-zoner with several anti-air options for any sort of jump-in or crossup with long-range footies. I think the key to winning with him will be exploiting that midscreen space in neutral, where Swampy has reach advantage over almost everyone and even control jump-ins on a read.
the first gif isn't an interactable, that's his motherfucking B3 my dude!

CrazyFingers

He's so polished! Like, his animations are smooth as hell. His abilities are being implemented perfectly. So much creativity has clearly gone into this character. His voice actor feels spot on. The model quality is fantastic. I'm so excited to get my hands on him. I'm also excited for his gear. I am so unbelievably hyped guys.

He's so polished! Like, his animations are smooth as hell. His abilities are being implemented perfectly. So much creativity has clearly gone into this character. His voice actor feels spot on. The model quality is fantastic. I'm so excited to get my hands on him. I'm also excited for his gear. I am so unbelievably hyped guys.
they gotta have a crowned or winged version, right?

he looks the most fun to watch , really well animated.

and a mid screen back3??!!!?? goodbye footsies lol

trufenix

bye felicia
they gotta have a crowned or winged version, right?

he looks the most fun to watch , really well animated.

and a mid screen back3??!!!?? goodbye footsies lol
winged is in the win pose, it would be weird as hell if he sprouted wings from his wings, only tekken gives that little of a shit how their custom chars look.

I'm curious how they're handling his colors, they've shown us like five color shaders for everyone else and dude doesn't wear clothes how many color swamp things are there?

CrazyFingers

winged is in the win pose, it would be weird as hell if he sprouted wings from his wings, only tekken gives that little of a shit how their custom chars look.

I'm curious how they're handling his colors, they've shown us like five color shaders for everyone else and dude doesn't wear clothes how many color swamp things are there?
Allow me to answer that question with a visual representation of what they could do for both shaders AND gear

Swamp-Things.jpg

trufenix

bye felicia
Allow me to answer that question with a visual representation of what they could do for both shaders AND gear
Well right and I'm totally bowing to your superior knowledge here, but really only one of those 10 isn't just green. Unless his shaders are gonna be green, bright green, dark green, blue and same green as bright green but labeled differently. It's gonna be weird when they unveil Red Lantern Swampy or a Noob Saibot black.

CrazyFingers

Well right and I'm totally bowing to your superior knowledge here, but really only one of those 10 isn't just green. Unless his shaders are gonna be green, bright green, dark green, blue and same green as bright green but labeled differently. It's gonna be weird when they unveil Red Lantern Swampy or a Noob Saibot black.
his shaders might just be different shades of green but that's basically what the current shaders we've seen have been. They could also get super creative with it like tropical, snowy etc.

trufenix

bye felicia
his shaders might just be different shades of green but that's basically what the current shaders we've seen have been. They could also get super creative with it like tropical, snowy etc.
Have you seen a good post of the shaders in the game so far? Nobody's whose posting regular footage has any interest in playing dress up except Max and Max has no idea what he's doing.

CrazyFingers

Have you seen a good post of the shaders in the game so far? Nobody's whose posting regular footage has any interest in playing dress up except Max and Max has no idea what he's doing.
i've been playing the beta and basically the first two you begin with are the base color and then slightly brighter version of that shader. For Atrocitus i got the third shader which is like a blackish grey color on his armor and a dark red for his skin.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
God I am beyond hyped about him. My favorite comic character since I was a fucking child.

Any idea what his trait might be? Could it be the wooden rod? Maybe extra range or normals/specials a la MMH?

trufenix

bye felicia
i've been playing the beta and basically the first two you begin with are the base color and then slightly brighter version of that shader. For Atrocitus i got the third shader which is like a blackish grey color on his armor and a dark red for his skin.
the one frustration of being codeless is that all the lore and dress up shit is falling by the wayside will people try and make tier lists for incomplete characters! Curse my lack of hollywood status!

Status
Not open for further replies.