What's new

Match-up Discussion Superman Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
For organized compilations of all match-up information, check out DeathAndHealing 's All-Star Superman Guide!

Doomsday MU NOTES:

Punishing:

- Meterless Shoulder Bash can be punished with F23 or D1 into full combos; F23 is preferred.

- Body Splash (jD3) can be punished by dashing underneath DD and performing F23 from behind.

- Unblockable Shoulder can be punished in two ways:
Midscreen *dash underneath after you block his rising animation and F23 when he lands.
Doomsday in Corner *dash underneath and jump forwards, cross-up j3 and combo him back into corner.
You can keep him in the corner this way and continue to pummel him.
(dash underneath, instant air dash forward J2 is also an option that keeps him cornered)

General Tips:

- Earth Shaker (DF+2), as we all know, is a ridiculous overhead~low move that provides DD with a hard knockdown. If you're hit by it midscreen, he isn't close enough to do anything that beats a properly timed wake-up scoop or rising grab. In this scenario he has to dash forward to maintain point blank spacing, but that makes it even easier for you to beat his continued pressure with wake-up moves. It's a simple 50/50. Also consider backdashing to avoid his strings; though his long range grab will definitely catch you. If you're knocked down in the corner, even if DD does meaty moves perfectly, Supes wake-ups go right through them.

- [MB] Shoulder Bash is +6 on block, which guarantees many frame traps for DD. Don't press buttons unless you want to eat more attacks and be facedown on the floor again. Be patient and keep your fingers hovered over the grab buttons, react to grab attempts and backdash when necessary. Try your best to find holes in his pressure so you can escape without wasting meter (you need it for combo damage). The most consistent and safe answer to his [MB] Shoulder is to pushblock the [MB] hit, thus negating his advantage. You break even this way (he uses a bar, you use a bar) and get out of his nonsense scot-free, but it's at the cost of a meter.

ADDITIONAL AQUAMAN NOTES:

- Blocked Trident or Water Shield activation are punishable by Super from anywhere, including full screen, corner to corner.

- this one is by FAR the most important. Trident stabs (DF+1) always hits for 4 hits. Aquaman can alter his hop forwards or backwards slightly while performing the move to either land more hits or make it safer. Superman's F23 can punish stabs regardless of when or how it hits. It doesn't even matter if he hops backwards twice, you can STILL punish him. Basically Aquaman can't cancel into any special move safely when he's fighting you up close. If he simply does B12 and doesn't cancel into anything he puts himself at negative frames, so you get a free F23 attempt or whatever else you desire. He literally hands momentum to you the minute you block his moves. Superman can ALSO punish the [MB] version of Trident stabs with F23. If he hops backwards to the point that he's not even hitting your block, you can punish him with a full jump in combo!

- Trident Scoop (DB+1) is punishable by F23 regardless of if he attempted it point blank, or max range with perfect spacing.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
- Be patient and work yourself into F23 range. You can punish her random force push with full combos.
- Don't shoot too many air heat visions, she can block and punish with force push from pretty much anywhere.
- DF+3 to sneak under fireballs or clip her for untechable KND from range. Once she's on the floor don't let up, she's not too good on wake-up.
- If you're able to get one heat zap off (hit or miss), you're allowed one free dash forwards. It basically covers your approach with it's great damage / chip / massive frame advantage / non-existent recovery period. It's a good way to start moving in from full screen.
- Backdash her 22 frame trap string if they're using it repetitively
- Better meter management, 2 Frame full screen super really helps in this match-up. Once you have it the scare factor alone will, at times, make the Raven not want to press anything. So by not even using the super (just having it stocked), the match-up actually becomes much easier. Though obv you should let it rip if you have a good read.
Wish I read this before losing to a raven at toryuken. Good to know now. I had no idea she had frame traps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

xQUANTUMx

You were at Toryuken as well? The hell, how did we not meet up and play lmao
Lulz I was too busy getting blown up by stream monsters. I'm not even going to defend it I was scrubby garbage. I dropped everything cuz I was nervous. I couldn't even do a MB breath bnb lol. Saw you play though, your supes is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
So what do you do when Aguaman uses his trait every time you start a combo on him? I kept getting to the mb freeze and then he'd fallout and block the b3.

Any advise against Black Adam? Got blown up in Grand Finals of our local tournament by Black Adam after I went 2-0 on his Aquaman. He went 3 straight Black Adam, didn't really know what to do.

Doesn't the straight grapple end in a kick and knock opponents down? You're saying Superman can get up then punish him!?
Late response but yes, The straight grapple on hit is -11 (according to in game frame data) if you mash super as you are knocked down he will tech-roll and hit batman before he recovers.

can i get some advice for fighting superman? My friend is consistently bodying me.

I feel like im just so afraid of his block strings that i don't know what to do or even attempt to guess on what.

thanks in advance

Joshkazkab

I am the Protector of Russia's Skies!
You can't really punish his strings. You just have to guess what he will do after a string.

Raynex

You can't really punish his strings. You just have to guess what he will do after a string.
If we're talking about F23 xx Breath repititions, yeah punishing it is out of the question. Interrupting it based on a read is the best option, or like you aptly put it, guessing what he will do next.

His most powerful option after F23 xx Breath is another F2, and many characters can actually beat it out clean. F2 loses to low profile / hitbox moves regardless of what frame data and speed indicates. Examples of this are GL's 9 frame B1. Even though you're at +1 after Breath and your F2 becomes 7 frames, the 9 frame B1 slides under your string attempt.

Other interrupts include Flash's D2, Catwoman's D1 (this one is the safest interrupt to F23 breath in the game), and Aquaman's D2. I feel like a write-up should be made on how to beat F23 xx Breath pressure, as it seems to be what most people are having issues with.

Help I am having trouble with Grundy anytips Raynex? I've tried figuring stuff out on my own but I can't come up with a solid strat against him.

Raynex

Help I am having trouble with Grundy anytips Raynex? I've tried figuring stuff out on my own but I can't come up with a solid strat against him.
I'm going to be doing a bunch of Supes board upkeep this weekend, so I'll make this the first new match-up I run through. Check back in the MU thread or All Star Guide on Saturday!

Solo

Shadow Priest
Need MAJOR help vs Aquaman. Maybe Raven? I need to play more of her to determine if I'm really struggling with that MU. Still, Aquaman is a pain in the ass. Any tips/advice would be lovely.

Please and thank you.

xQUANTUMx

Need MAJOR help vs Aquaman. Maybe Raven? I need to play more of her to determine if I'm really struggling with that MU. Still, Aquaman is a pain in the ass. Any tips/advice would be lovely.

Please and thank you.
Ya he's tough, he can shut a lot of your airgame down...his pokes are gdlike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So what do you do when Aguaman uses his trait every time you start a combo on him? I kept getting to the mb freeze and then he'd fallout and block the b3.
As GBS Giovanni said, you can go for a mixup after the freeze. You could also try going for a meterless combo where you don't use the freeze. If you never let Aquaman touch the ground and just keep juggling him, he can never slip out of the combo. It's probably going to be less damage than you're used to but more guaranteed damage than you would get on Aquaman using a freeze combo. Also, pay attention to his trait meter. If the trait is on cooldown, you can do whatever combo you want.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Other interrupts include Flash's D2, Catwoman's D1 (this one is the safest interrupt to F23 breath in the game), and Aquaman's D2. I feel like a write-up should be made on how to beat F23 xx Breath pressure, as it seems to be what most people are having issues with.
Can Batman parry between a F23 xx Breath string and another F2?

Raynex

Please and thank you.
I mained Aquaman when the game first dropped, and wrote a nice healthy write-up on him very early in this thread. It has since been added to the amazing Supes guide. Scroll down to the match-up section and open the Aquaman spoiler:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/all-star-superman-guide.31478/

For all MU related write-ups, check the All Star guide first to see if it has been covered already. If you have any questions that need to be cleared up, feel free to ask in this thread anytime!

Generally speaking, Superman decimates Aquaman. He is one of a few characters that can punish him on literally EVERYTHING with F23. It doesn't matter what he does or where he does it, Superman always has a punish. Learn the punishes and Aquaman can't really do anything on your block without eating damage. This match-up is all about proper punishing and not jumping too much, as he isn't a very complex character. Read the write up, hopefully it can help you form specific situational questions we can help you with.

Can Batman parry between a F23 xx Breath string and another F2?
Yup, you have more than enough time between strings to counter it. Any character with a counter can interrupt F23 xx breath repititions, as F2 is a standard mid-hitting move.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Any tips vs Flash? Ran into a couple but can't seem to get a handle on what he's doing. Thx in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.