What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I feel that Sub's mid screen damage is just a means to an end. The corner push may be more valuable in any given situation, unless you're way behind and need that reset for an all or nothing win.

This IS good tech though and plenty of success could come from this.

Marvaz

come at me
I just starting looking into Sub since I stopped playing him week 1. haha

So it kinda is for me. :p

I didn't see anyone posting setups, so... I posted what I've been using.
Yeah this was known since release I believe. I think it wasn't talked about on here until about 1 week or so after release. There's a lot of setups though that you can do after b12.

im confused i saw Tom tweet hell never drop subzer as of yesterday, but just last week he was saying after evo hes only playing predator. so whats the deal here @TomBrady

Hini

Batomancer
It means that Tom is experiencing a period of character crisis, whatever happens happens and its nog a big deal.

My corner bnb's on males that sets up another clone. No one does these because "its too hard." I hit them every time. Good luck.

b2 b2 242 11 clone njp njk 35%
b2 b2 242 11 clone njp f12 36%
b33 os frost bomb b2 242 11 clone njp njk 34%
b33 os frost bomb b2 242 11 clone njp f12 35%

You could also do 242 1 clone but to initially learn the timing, its easier to mash 11.

Im done playing this game.

Is it me or did grandmaster 62-64% just suddenly stop workingthis morning? why I ask is because I used to play street fighter religiously and they would throw hidden hotfixes in the game days before they announced them and even without an update notice. if so than everyone might want to check up on their execution...

Durango

Enhancer
The was SZ is currently played, he is in the top of the bottom 10. Is he bottom 10? No..

If you read anything in here, you will fail. Its outdated and will not yield consistent results. Full GM tutorial 10pm est www.twitch.tv/mktombrady_vs_mkreo

I have spent weeks rebuilding SZ and have tested it in very high level play and I believe he may actually be a very good character if played different and better.
This link is not working.

What are the updates you've made to Sub-Zero?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
And to that we say El-oh-goddamn-motherfuckin'-el.

Watch every Sub-Zero main on the planet play for free, or pay Tom Brady 5 bucks a month to see it.

I like TB but LBSH: nope. Just nope.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I mean I'm not saying you should pay him, just letting a dude know how to find the video in question, if he's so compelled to do so.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I mean I'm not saying you should pay him, just letting a dude know how to find the video in question, if he's so compelled to do so.
Oh, I know. I'm just pointing out that that Twitch channel being subscription only is objectively absurd.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Doing some lab work, found out it's possible to corner combo into shatter without clone previously set. It's an easy hit confirm, but it's expensive and somewhat difficult. Maybe we can work this into something better, as is it's a situational way to close out a match. Found vs mid size male characters (Liu Kang) in practice mode's default corner reset position.

f4 xx ex ice statue, f42 xx shatter, d1, b12 xx ex ice blast, njp, jip, f12 - 48%, 2 bars

In one instance, I was able to combo "f4 xx ex ice statue, ji1..." I dropped it because I was a little shocked, haven't been able to recreate it since. Maybe it works on big bodies?

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
....but it should be. fingers crossed. or at least 123 doing 12pt and slide 10pt of damage. and clone fixes. (ex clone armor!) jk!

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Alright... so here's what I've been doing with sub zero lately midscreen and it seems to be working rather well. Now, blow me up if you like, but I think it's better to post stuff and have multiple ppl looking at a piece of tech than not.

So, off of Sub's normal B12 freeze combo... what kind of damage does he get? He gets around 30% ending in a slide and corner carry.

So, I decided to start doing the following: B12 freeze whiff clone jip B12. And end it there. That leaves Sub at +20 and does 22% damage, 8 less than his normal combo. However, it gives you a free 50/50 with B2 or B33. Guess right and go right back into the situation for another 22% plus 50/50 OR do the whole combo this time for 30% + 22% for a total of 52%. There's always the thread of a throw attempt as well for 12% + 22%. Now of course, you guess wrong and you can clone/ex clone from b33 or get punished from the b2 on block.

It's not much, but I think it's worth the risk considering sub has low damage midscreen.
Yeah. I really like this. +20 frames gives you a free 50/50 to throw at them. Worst case scenario, run in and do a Throw. Total of 34%. I wouldn't do it all the time, but meh when it's comeback season this is the type of shit I like to try pull out.

Anyway, just posting to talk about NjP. It's a pretty good option in the corner when you don't have a Clone out, so I started looking at NjP follow ups, as I've mostly just been doing a bunch of Jump in Punches or Kicks and then ending in NjK.

However, I put some time into it and you can do a lot better.

[NjP, JiK, 242, B12xxClone, F12] = 29% and gives you a great Clone Set-Up

Worth mentioning

Last edited:

loogie

Noob
Yeah. I really like this. +20 frames gives you a free 50/50 to throw at them. Worst case scenario, run in and do a Throw. Total of 34%. I wouldn't do it all the time, but meh when it's comeback season this is the type of shit I like to try pull out.
about ending the combos midscreen with a b12 into a 50/50... I am of the opinion that this is gimmicky. we all know that his b2 is punished on block, so why do you want to take a risk and give your opponent the opportunity to turn things around on you, while instead you can do his standard bnb after a b12 freeze and carry them to the corner where you want to play your game.
so the mixup in that scenario, is either a grab or his low starter? I would take the corner carry option anytime.

loogie

Noob
Doing some lab work, found out it's possible to corner combo into shatter without clone previously set. It's an easy hit confirm, but it's expensive and somewhat difficult. Maybe we can work this into something better, as is it's a situational way to close out a match. Found vs mid size male characters (Liu Kang) in practice mode's default corner reset position.

f4 xx ex ice statue, f42 xx shatter, d1, b12 xx ex ice blast, njp, jip, f12 - 48%, 2 bars

In one instance, I was able to combo "f4 xx ex ice statue, ji1..." I dropped it because I was a little shocked, haven't been able to recreate it since. Maybe it works on big bodies?
you want to use two bars in the corner? Sub doesn't build crazy meter like other cast members, so why spend two bars on a corner combo? (or even a midscreen combo) much rather keep those bars for a b33 ex ice blast and a handy breaker at all times. I wouldn't even spare the effort to learn two bar combos, with any character for that matter.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
about ending the combos midscreen with a b12 into a 50/50... I am of the opinion that this is gimmicky. we all know that his b2 is punished on block, so why do you want to take a risk and give your opponent the opportunity to turn things around on you, while instead you can do his standard bnb after a b12 freeze and carry them to the corner where you want to play your game.
so the mixup in that scenario, is either a grab or his low starter? I would take the corner carry option anytime.
Because when I'm down to 20% and my opponent is still at like 90%, I like to try pull out crazy shit and use luck based resets to get ahead when I have momentum. That's all it is. Gimmicky indeed, but gimmicks have their place, sometimes you ain't gonna win without em anyway so may as well go balls to the wall.