What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Well, I have 3 combos set 2 took it from Wounder_Chef and I optimized with different grab enders
You can get 51%, 44% and 37%
The second combo you can end it differently with F42+BF4 and get 45%
All are meterless
So say you create the clone, do the overhead,4 and then shatter the clone . There is enough damage to kill, so would that start the brutality? Or does the player have to be standing up?

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
So say you create the clone, do the overhead,4 and then shatter the clone . There is enough damage to kill, so would that start the brutality? Or does the player have to be standing up?
More than likely has to be standing. Sub-Zero has garbage opportunities to combo into his brutalities.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I'd just like to point out, that using B2, 4xxShatter is extremely positioning dependant, and off a position much harder to set up off our wall combo. There is also a very small window of successful positioning for SZ himself, because he needs to be standing close enough to land the B2 into 4, but not far enough that his shatter doesn't break that Clone, which can be challenging. It also wastes much more time after the knockdown making punishes / escapes much more likely. Also, the execution of the combo itself is much tighter than other options, who work even if you mistime by a couple of frames, doing it this way is much harder. It basically turns an already extremely situational combo, into something borderline a gimmick.

And literally the only thing you gain from doing it this way, is 1% damage, assuming you NAIL the timing and spacing absolutely perfectly, it allows you to manage to fit an extra D1 juggle in to the combo. Otherwise, 24xxShatter combo's are much more reliable, and do exactly the same amount of damage, set up much more reliably, safely, don't require perfect spacing from SZ himself.

However, I won't say that positioning a Clone as such is completely useless. Here is a video demonstrating an EASY as pie, 62% X-Ray combo that requires a B2, 4xxShatter start, including set up after a wall combo, which is like an entire health bar gone, useful if you start with them in the corner and manage to land a B2. The set up can be done differently and better, just a simple demonstration of the positioning needed

Other than that, I strongly recommend just sticking to 24xxShatter video's :) check Nu-Skools vid on the previous page demonstrating how smoothely it works in practice

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Whoever's 24 Shatter videos, there is like plenty strung out across the past few pages. Nu-Skool showcased a bunch of sets ups along with it and was the most recent one, so I just said him.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
I'd just like to point out, that using B2, 4xxShatter is extremely positioning dependant, and off a position much harder to set up off our wall combo. There is also a very small window of successful positioning for SZ himself, because he needs to be standing close enough to land the B2 into 4, but not far enough that his shatter doesn't break that Clone, which can be challenging. It also wastes much more time after the knockdown making punishes / escapes much more likely. Also, the execution of the combo itself is much tighter than other options, who work even if you mistime by a couple of frames, doing it this way is much harder. It basically turns an already extremely situational combo, into something borderline a gimmick.

And literally the only thing you gain from doing it this way, is 1% damage, assuming you NAIL the timing and spacing absolutely perfectly, it allows you to manage to fit an extra D1 juggle in to the combo. Otherwise, 24xxShatter combo's are much more reliable, and do exactly the same amount of damage, set up much more reliably, safely, don't require perfect spacing from SZ himself.

However, I won't say that positioning a Clone as such is completely useless. Here is a video demonstrating an EASY as pie, 62% X-Ray combo that requires a B2, 4xxShatter start, including set up after a wall combo

Other than that, I strongly recommend just sticking to 24xxShatter video's :) check Nu-Skools vid on the previous page demonstrating how smoothely it works in practice
Your right. That combo looks beautiful but is just way too difficult to do online.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Ok so I can't remember who posted it but there was someone who posted a clone combo that work on female characters in the corner off of b2 with b3~clone freezing female characters. Can some one find that post and tell me what that combo was?

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Ok so I can't remember who posted it but there was someone who posted a clone combo that work on female characters in the corner off of b2 with b3~clone freezing female characters. Can some one find that post and tell me what that combo was?
Do ya have a particular combo against female characters and when ya hit them in the air with B2?
Hell yeah this was a good find!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@I GOT HANDS, I mentioned how raw 12 xx shatter/ b2, 24 xx shatter routes could be used like, 2 pages ago in a post where I had to use it against a particularly defensive Erron Black. I'm definitely not the first person to mention it, much like shatter combos. @crosshair271, I may have gotten the idea from your video if it's older than your post on this page. Or did someone else post about this in the early pages and we're just forgetting about them?

I GOT HANDS

Hell yeah this was a good find!
Video doesn't work in my country. Can I get a notation?

@I GOT HANDS, I mentioned how raw 12 xx shatter/ b2, 24 xx shatter routes could be used like, 2 pages ago in a post where I had to use it against a particularly defensive Erron Black. I'm definitely not the first person to mention it, much like shatter combos.
True that, I see you did. I just haven't seen it used / discussed much and it was something my mind always skipped over as an option. In the corner it even hitconfirms into Iceball if they break your clone and you smooth enough with it, not bad at all

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
http://www.twitch.tv/zaelock/b/666891086

Here's the Raiden matchup vs Cimmerian. Worth noting that Cimmerian has been playing Raiden a bit less lately and that I haven't played SZ in a month, I was just getting back into the hang of it that day.

From the start it's another SZ from my scene, PanosZero. Watch his gameplay to see what you shouldn't do and then compare it to mine and you should get an idea of how the matchup should be played. I start playing around 15:48.

My SZ is very raw after so long so I made a lot of mistakes E.G not capitalising on D4 on hit with run S1 which is a frametrap in any range but max, not hit confirming B33, not reacting to jumps with ex ice burst and more.
At 22:20 did you mean to slide and push him into the clone? Played great btw

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
@I GOT HANDS, I mentioned how raw 12 xx shatter/ b2, 24 xx shatter routes could be used like, 2 pages ago in a post where I had to use it against a particularly defensive Erron Black. I'm definitely not the first person to mention it, much like shatter combos. @crosshair271, I may have gotten the idea from your video if it's older than your post on this page. Or did someone else post about this in the early pages and we're just forgetting about them?
I had made a Klone Shatter thread some time ago so you possibly saw it.

Video doesn't work in my country. Can I get a notation?

True that, I see you did. I just haven't seen it used / discussed much and it was something my mind always skipped over as an option. In the corner it even hitconfirms into Iceball if they break your clone and you smooth enough with it, not bad at all
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/hahhx0iv2le5em3/MKX__Sub-Zero_[GrandMaster]_Wall_combo_with_ICE_CLONE_on_FEMALE_characters!.mp4

I GOT HANDS

Ahh nice. I just use

B2, B2, 1, 1, B12 Clone.

Works consistently if you time it right.

http://www.twitch.tv/zaelock/b/666891086

Here's the Raiden matchup vs Cimmerian. Worth noting that Cimmerian has been playing Raiden a bit less lately and that I haven't played SZ in a month, I was just getting back into the hang of it that day.

From the start it's another SZ from my scene, PanosZero. Watch his gameplay to see what you shouldn't do and then compare it to mine and you should get an idea of how the matchup should be played. I start playing around 15:48.

My SZ is very raw after so long so I made a lot of mistakes E.G not capitalising on D4 on hit with run S1 which is a frametrap in any range but max, not hit confirming B33, not reacting to jumps with ex ice burst and more.
At 22:20 did you mean to slide and push him into the clone? Played great btw
Oh wow. 22:20, that meaty slide swapped sides with him so he woke up directly on the side of clone... thats nice. Didn't look intentional, and if you are blocking, it smashes the clone, but it does force them to block at least. Might be something worth looking at.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Ahh nice. I just use

B2, B2, 1, 1, B12 Clone.

Works consistently if you time it right.

Oh wow. 22:20, that meaty slide swapped sides with him so he woke up directly on the side of clone... thats nice. Didn't look intentional, and if you are blocking, it smashes the clone, but it does force them to block at least. Might be something worth looking at.
It's intentional, it's a gimmick setup for people who ry to tech roll, wakeup or do anything without holding block as well.

I GOT HANDS

It reverses wake ups right meaning unless they catch what you doing they will just freeze right? Big plays

zoofs

bless
what are you guys using for shatter anti air confirms in the corner? I realize these are probably old but I never see any sub take advantage of the big damage at pretty much any range

(shatter), b2, 1, 1, b12 clone, njp, jip, b12 slide = 43% - this is at pretty much peak of jump
(shatter), run if not close enough, 1, 1, 1, b12 clone, njp jip, b12 slide = 38% - this can be done at basically mid height so relatively viable, does more damage depending on how far you are from the opponent/how high they are

I GOT HANDS

On the subject of clone shatter combos, just a little tip: If you B2 immediately after setting the Clone, and they block, you have time to go in for a 12 shatter with the same clone still up. It means they have to be still blocking, but its not unheard of when people are waiting for a clone to disappear. Nothing amazing, useful info tho

I GOT HANDS

It's intentional, it's a gimmick setup for people who ry to tech roll, wakeup or do anything without holding block as well.
I just looked this up to see exactly what you did as I want to learn it, but the streams been deleted. What was the setup again?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I just looked this up to see exactly what you did as I want to learn it, but the streams been deleted. What was the setup again?
Almost any long advantage knockdown into slide, there's a specific timing you can find with practice. If you have clone up they must block and slide's semi safe, if not you're full combo punished in the corner.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
On the subject of clone shatter combos, just a little tip: If you B2 immediately after setting the Clone, and they block, you have time to go in for a 12 shatter with the same clone still up. It means they have to be still blocking, but its not unheard of when people are waiting for a clone to disappear. Nothing amazing, useful info tho
Gotta love the 1,2 tech. You should also be plus from the burst+shatter and it pushes you back to a safe distance. You can F+4,2 , Klone them right after too which is hilarious. If you like you can also do B+3,3 if you're close enough after the B+2.

Get a long knockdown in the corner, easiest being F+1,2. Quickly Klone and slide. You sandwich the opponent and they get up into the Klone. I'm calling it "Quarks Corner Klone Crossover".

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Gotta love the 1,2 tech. You should also be plus from the burst+shatter and it pushes you back to a safe distance. You can F+4,2 , Klone them right after too which is hilarious. If you like you can also do B+3,3 if you're close enough after the B+2.

Get a hard knockdown in the corner, easiest being F+1,2. Quickly Klone and slide. You sandwich the opponent and they get up into the Klone. I'm calling it "Quarks Corner Klone Crossover".
F12 isn't hard knockdown. It can be tech rolled. It just has a long splat.