What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Sub-Zero General Discussion

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
On the subject of using b2, 242 corner combos. I use b2, 242, 1, b12 xx clone in situations where clone won't cool down fast enough for the double b2 combo. A limitation with these is that you can't land NJP, jip, f12 as your ender.

Just worth noting so you don't lose your corner set up.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Lol that's go to know about dropping the njp jip f12
I've got to where after the clone freeze I just count to 3 then f12 because anything I do after clone freeze drops the f12 ender

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
On the subject of using b2, 242 corner combos. I use b2, 242, 1, b12 xx clone in situations where clone won't cool down fast enough for the double b2 combo. A limitation with these is that you can't land NJP, jip, f12 as your ender.

Just worth noting so you don't lose your corner set up.
I do B2,B2,1,1,B12xxKlone. It usually gives me enough time and it is the universal combo to freeze females and males. If you want to stick with B2, 242 you can get your NJP, JIP, F12 if you use JI2 as the punch. It gives more frame advantage to connect F12.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I do B2,B2,1,1,B12xxKlone. It usually gives me enough time and it is the universal combo to freeze females and males. If you want to stick with B2, 242 you can get your NJP, JIP, F12 if you use JI2 as the punch. It gives more frame advantage to connect F12.
Awsome

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Someone should have posted that in your combo gravity thread ree
On another note is it known that ji2 combos into b2 but ji1 doesn't?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Thanks very much @crosshair271, I would never have guessed the frame advantage applied on a juggled opponent.

Like @boba_buster said, a good deal of us knew ji2 combo'd better into things like b2 for a starter. I'm glad this came up.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Thanks very much @crosshair271, I would never have guessed the frame advantage applied on a juggled opponent.

Like @boba_buster said, a good deal of us knew ji2 combo'd better into things like b2 for a starter. I'm glad this came up.
Yeah that scenario usually happens when you grab them into Klone in the corner. Quick roll, Run, JI2, B2, etc. JI2 gives more advantage. However keep in mind JI1 has more range but a little less advantage and JI2 trades some range for a little advantage.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Using ji2 on opponents in the corner, I noticed this thing crosses the opponent up. But the interesting thing is that on hit/block, it will keep SZ out of the corner. This acts similarly to Cryo's corner ji air hammer. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ravosa

Wild Card
As grandmaster I struggle against quans portal armor in the corner. How the fuck do I get out of the corner against that

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
As grandmaster I struggle against quans portal armor in the corner. How the fuck do I get out of the corner against that
I feel like Cryomancer is a better choice vs. Sorcerer. The way Cryo can punish Quan's armor portal is too incredible to pass up.

If you feel compelled though, d4 xx slide or options as fast, can hit him out of armor if you're given a punish opportunity. I'd recommend trying to jump out/ over. If you land a hit on Quan while he's still in his portal, you can reset him like crazy. If you're unfamiliar with the armor reset tech, I'll post it here.

@Ree301, your knowledge in Sub-zero together with @crosshair271,@boba_buster (together with all the other Sub-zero lords here) is pretty in-depth. I'm still quite new to Sub-zero, and have watched loads of vids. Plus read Tom Brady's guide. But the information is quite vast for a beginner like me. :(. Is it possible any of you could do a "beginner to Intermediate" guide for us who are new? Or if there is already one existing could refer us please? At least to be competent in a match, as we develop our own unique "Sub-zeros"

PLAY FOR KEEPSIES

No backsies
I feel like Cryomancer is a better choice vs. Sorcerer. The way Cryo can punish Quan's armor portal is too incredible to pass up.

If you feel compelled though, d4 xx slide or options as fast, can hit him out of armor if you're given a punish opportunity. I'd recommend trying to jump out/ over. If you land a hit on Quan while he's still in his portal, you can reset him like crazy. If you're unfamiliar with the armor reset tech, I'll post it here.
Can you share and also tell me how he punishes

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
So basically, Quan's armor spell lasts 8-ish seconds with armor refreshing every 2-ish seconds. If characters manage to occupy his armor, they can tailor their combos to deal enough hit stun to break through Quan's armor yet again, mid combo, as it refreshes. This resets damage scaling and allows for ridiculously damaging combos. Sub Zero luckily has a capture state (freeze) and high hit advantage normals which allows him to set these situations up pretty easily. Cryomancer does this best, but it's possible in all variations.

@InFlames came up with this after seeing Kitana mains go to town with similar tech.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@Ree301, your knowledge in Sub-zero together with @crosshair271,@boba_buster (together with all the other Sub-zero lords here) is pretty in-depth. I'm still quite new to Sub-zero, and have watched loads of vids. Plus read Tom Brady's guide. But the information is quite vast for a beginner like me. :(. Is it possible any of you could do a "beginner to Intermediate" guide for us who are new? Or if there is already one existing could refer us please? At least to be competent in a match, as we develop our own unique "Sub-zeros"
Yeah, I could type something up. It'd be easier to explain over PSN if you're on ps4. If not, I'd just ask some basic questions about mechanics so I would know where to start. Feel free to message me on TYM.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
What is the best option after a d4 on block
It's -5 so I don't see much of any way to continue offense
What do others do after a blocked d4?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
It depends on how it's spaced. If it's right in their face, I block, back dash or jump out. At that point, I chalk it up as a loss of the neutral. If it's max range/ in the corner... I'll b2 sometimes :p it beats the opponents counter poke.

Creepy00

Noob
D4 is actually -6, since reptile's ex slide can punish it on block.

Anyways, just like Ree said, it depends on how well you spaced sub s D4. That said, you want to use d4 at mid to max range, so that you have better options when blocked. If you find yourself at closed range, use sub D3 instead, it is -1 on block and +13 on hit. If your opponent doesn't counterpocked immediately or expect you to be in more negative advatange, you can hit them with a second d3 and start you offense from there.

Creepy00

Noob
Out of curiosity, have any of you guys have any luck in finding subzero s secret brutalities? I spent roughly two hours doing 4 buttons inputs ( holding Block + stance switch + directional input + 1/2/3/4) but got nothing.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Does he even have a hidden one or is it just 'select' fighters?

If so which one would it be? I'm thinking Frozen Dinner where he may shatter the rest of the body or Splitting Image where again he could shatter the body as these are simple quick animations. Snow Ball, Ice Cubed and Pick Your Brain kinda seem like they have nowhere else to go and Deep Freeze seems too complicated to make a Brutality. Where would you do it? The Ice Through Eye, the Freeze and Pull the Guts, Freeze and Shatter on falling down. It just seems like too much work.
I hoped he'd have a secret where he can shatter the rest of the body after uppercutting their head off.

Some random person on reddit said he can shatter the ice cube in Unbreakable's parry, but no video or anything so he's probably trolling.