What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Sub-Zero General Discussion

Creepy00

Noob
I brought this up a while ago. It is something that got affected by the RC Bug from last patch unfortunately. It used to work against everyone before the patch.

Noob
As an Erron only main since the games release, I have finally decided to pickup a secondary character. I used to use Sub Zero in MK9 so thought I would choose him.

As someone new to Sub Zero, which variation should I choose?

Thanks!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
He doesn't translate well from Erron Black's rush down style. Fundamentally, Grandmaster is a trap based, zone control type, Cryomancer is a neutral-heavy, hard punish character, and Unbreakable is a defensive variation desperately trying to be rush down. Hopefully one of those will appeal to you and you can start there!

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
He doesn't translate well from Erron Black's rush down style. Fundamentally, Grandmaster is a trap based, zone control type, Cryomancer is a neutral-heavy, hard punish character, and Unbreakable is a defensive variation desperately trying to be rush down. Hopefully one of those will appeal to you and you can start there!
Lol you sold Unbreakable better than I ever could

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Go with Grandmaster, the learning curve is more forgiving. The opponent will often hang themselves and you can advance at your own pace behind ice clones. You're often presented with openings you didn't intend to create on top of the ones you did. Cryo is more rewarding when you have a solid understanding of the character and relies on creating ambiguous opportunities and maintaining momentum.

Noob
Hey, are there any sub zero players that are on the Ps4 that would like to play? New to sub zero so it would help out a lot in learning him!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
For anyone who didn't know, b4 sweeps are universally throw immune (Cryo hammer too) and SZ's low profiles pretty well. Could be good for certain MU's, for example the Kano boards were complaining about this.

zoofs

bless
The reason B2 RC B12 and B2 RC 123xxBF4 are so hard to execute now is because of character height. Any character smaller than Kotal Kahn, Jason, Goro, or Ermac is immune to this run combo. It is incredibly difficult to perform on any other character. Video soon.

@Ree301 @zoofs can you confirm this as well. It only seems to work consistently on those four characters
yeah this is also because of the recent removal of option selects, I guess it made it so you can't buffer run as fast anymore so you need to be more precise execution wise

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
I never knew ex clone had armor until I saw Corey the dragon use it at absolute battles. Why Dont more ppl use ex clone as a counter poke or to punish gaps?

Is there something that makes this not a good option because I never see ppl use it

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I never knew ex clone had armor until I saw Corey the dragon use it at absolute battles. Why Dont more ppl use ex clone as a counter poke or to punish gaps?

Is there something that makes this not a good option because I never see ppl use it
Ex clone was more or less inconsistent before the major patch, there were times when I'd go to use and it either wouldn't come out at all or I'd get a normal cone instead. Beyond this, if I ever really wanted a move to punish string gaps I favored Unbreakable parry over ex clone. As it stands now, ex clone is an excellent tool to use on block and leads to 35-37% damage at midscreen, which is really decent.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Ex clone was more or less inconsistent before the major patch, there were times when I'd go to use and it either wouldn't come out at all or I'd get a normal cone instead. Beyond this, if I ever really wanted a move to punish string gaps I favored Unbreakable parry over ex clone. As it stands now, ex clone is an excellent tool to use on block and leads to 35-37% damage at midscreen, which is really decent.
So its better to use it after throwing something unsafe out on block and catch them when they try to punish? Or do you mean use it as just a way to end a string?

Samsara

Resident Cynic
So its better to use it after throwing something unsafe out on block and catch them when they try to punish? Or do you mean use it as just a way to end a string?
Take B12 for example, you could cancel into ex clone on hit or on block and on hit you get 35-37% and if they block it they cannot punish you.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Take B12 for example, you could cancel into ex clone on hit or on block and on hit you get 35-37% and if they block it they cannot punish you.
Ok that makes sense you probably get more damage that way instead of just a raw exclone.

I Dont play the character I just saw it had armor and didn't know why ppl didn't use it more often

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Ok that makes sense you probably get more damage that way instead of just a raw exclone.

I Dont play the character I just saw it had armor and didn't know why ppl didn't use it more often
Raw ex clone isn't a bad way to exploit aggressive opponents, but you don't want to spend meter on a trap that's not sure to spring. You want to use it as a baiting tool--- not as a reactionary tool

champdee

Noob
What's the combo?

zoofs

bless

it is a good option and a really good tool in general, one perfect example is that you can actually blow up goro doing poke into reg punchwalk with ex clone.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
it is a good option and a really good tool in general, one perfect example is that you can actually blow up goro doing poke into reg punchwalk with ex clone.
Do you know if anyone put together a list of practical string gaps to exploit with ex clone? Could be useful. I'll spend time in the lab this weekend since I'm done with classes, but I feel we could take the clone meta a little further.

zoofs

bless
Do you know if anyone put together a list of practical string gaps to exploit with ex clone? Could be useful. I'll spend time in the lab this weekend since I'm done with classes, but I feel we could take the clone meta a little further.
I wanted to do one but it just seems like it'll take a super long time lol

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
I know it works for the gap in Cassie's b124 string that's the first one I tried after seeing it had armor