What's new

Strategy Sub-Zero (2),1 guaranteed follow ups

Creepy00

Noob
Agree with you Reo, i think it is cause most subzero players expect the opponent to just sit and block constantly. Also, you have more than enough time to hit confirm the last hit of the string, i do it most of times. Will definitely add those 2 subzero combos to my arsenal, thx :D

REO

Undead
(jip) 21 > d4 xx EX freeze > 214 slide ...

how much damage?
new subz 1 meter bnb option?
You can't do that combo because the second hit of 2,1 only freezes them once.

almost REO... almost got me to post jump in punch strats lol. I will say that in open space you really shouldnt use 21 off of a jump in punch.

Your powers are fading. Soon enough I will release the bonds that prevent you from posting and everyone will be happy.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
(jip) 21 > d4 xx EX freeze > 214 slide ...

how much damage?
new subz 1 meter bnb option?
I do not believe it is possible. Sub-Zero only gets one "frostbite" per combo. I use the term "frostbite" to elaborate on the freezing effect from his 2 1 juggle. If a second repetition of this juggle is used, the target is juggled but not frozen and he falls to the ground at a fast speed. I'll test this to be sure, but I have my doubts.

Anyway REO, I actually follow this up with d1 EX Freeze everytime this happens, but it works just as well. The reason so many Sub-Zero players drop this is because they are so used to 2 1 being used as a pressure string that they don't expect the chance to follow it up with a full combo. It's tough getting out of the ice ninja's pressure game if the player is smart with it.

Some characters are able to make the 2 in the 2 1 string whiff simply by crouch-blocking, which hurts this pressure ability a bit. I played Playpal's Johnny Cage with my Sub-Zero to explore the match-up and have had that happen to me tons of times. I'm sure some other characters have a small enough hitbox to make the attack whiff also.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Your powers are fading. Soon enough I will release the bonds that prevent you from posting and everyone will be happy.
Please REO...

Tom, not all Subs are dicks that are just here to troll you. Some just really want to level up their game and take their favorite character to the next level, and would be ecstatic if you would help. You kinda are the Sub Zero of the FGC. If you won't help te boards, would you help individual players who took it upon themselves to PM you?

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I do not believe it is possible. Sub-Zero only gets one "frostbite" per combo. I use the term "frostbite" to elaborate on the freezing effect from his 2 1 juggle. If a second repetition of this juggle is used, the target is juggled but not frozen and he falls to the ground at a fast speed. I'll test this to be sure, but I have my doubts.

Anyway REO, I actually follow this up with d1 EX Freeze everytime this happens, but it works just as well. The reason so many Sub-Zero players drop this is because they are so used to 2 1 being used as a pressure string that they don't expect the chance to follow it up with a full combo. It's tough getting out of the ice ninja's pressure game if the player is smart with it.

Some characters are able to make the 2 in the 2 1 string whiff simply by crouch-blocking, which hurts this pressure ability a bit. I played Playpal's Johnny Cage with my Sub-Zero to explore the match-up and have had that happen to me tons of times. I'm sure some other characters have a small enough hitbox to make the attack whiff also.

Thanks for sharing the video.
Mileena, Kitana, Jax, Quan, Sonya, and I think Reptile and Sektor also make the 2 whiff.

Truth

Noob
For all the SZ players, you can actually do 21~D4~Ex-Freeze in open space combo, so to the people who keep saying no that is incorrect. The 2nd hit of 21 doesn't count as freezing the opponent. Another thing is off a JIP, SZ should start doing B12 because if it connects then it opens the possibility of his best mid screen damage, plus it is also even on block so there is really no reason not to do so off a JIP.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I rather use mix ups like "21,21,21" or "21, throw" or "21, crossover jip" or "21,21, 212/214~Ice Clone" (if blocked, Ice Blast if hit) than stay repeating 212/214~clone or ice blast on hit all day long. This will never work at the highest possible level. If you keep doing 212 or 214 over and over and over again who in sane mind would release the block button at the last hit of these strings?

212/214~Ice Clone adds nothing to Sub-Zero game. You lose pressure and in the process you put yourself in a position that you doesn't want (in most matches anyways).

And I'm not even trolling here, I'm just disagreeing with you on that, Tom. I know you're traumatized by the trolls so I had to say it. :p

I have to agree with Bidu. Not pressuring with 21 is a huge missed opportunity. There are sooo many things you can do after 21. It's neutral frames on block and you have 9 frame starter combos, the best D4 around as well as amazing anti-air.

Hell, even Clone works after 21 on block.

yeah watch some Ermac guy just d1 lift you after your 21,21,21,21 spam.

Watch Sektor 6 frame launch you after your 21,21,21 spam.

Other characters will just d1 you. You will have to commit mix it up.

Tom's way of playing is pushing you to the corner. Then raping you. All this 21,21,21 spam is smoke and mirrors rush down. It's escapable.
There's another mixup you can do. It's called 21~Block.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Another thing is off a JIP, SZ should start doing B12 because if it connects then it opens the possibility of his best mid screen damage, plus it is also even on block so there is really no reason not to do so off a JIP.
Totally right and accurate, unless, of course, you're dealing with low hitbox character. >_<

yeah watch some Ermac guy just d1 lift you after your 21,21,21,21 spam.

Watch Sektor 6 frame launch you after your 21,21,21 spam.

Other characters will just d1 you. You will have to commit mix it up.

Tom's way of playing is pushing you to the corner. Then raping you. All this 21,21,21 spam is smoke and mirrors rush down. It's escapable.

You gotta think out the box, man. I'm not saying 21 "spam" is good against every character in the game. It's pretty much useless against all low hit box characters for instance. Obviously I won't "spam" 2,1 against characters like Ermac and Kung Lao. I will still use 21 most of the time against them tho. Just to block and bait a "reversal" (I couldn't think a better term, you get it, right?) from them. Or finish the string using 212/214~Ice Blast (once in a while to keep my opponent honest) like Brady suggested.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Reo knows shit that TOM BRADY subzero DOESNT KNOW???? WTF!!!!
If REO ever play Sub-Zero serious I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he become better than Brady.

ROFL :)

Oh and by the way, about the video: good stuff. It's a good loop to add to any Sub-Zero corner mind game set. I use it once in a while, but I didn't realized until watching this that I can actually loop it.

Question a NJP would definitely fuck up that deep JiK?