What's new

Strategy - Kung Lao Strongest variation discussion

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
heres what i think.

Tempest is hist most damaging variation, and also his most defensive. But it does have a few problems, the orbiting hat is inconsistant, your almost always better off going for mb orbit instead of the meterless version. And what is the purpose of dancing hat? it does nothing unique at all....except for twirl in the air.

BuzzSaw is great because it gives him a better ranged game, means to cover your rush down and make your strings safer. the low hats on hit give you advantage too!

Hatrick....is a lot better than some people are making it out to be, the oki possibilities with this are amazing, not to mention how well you'll be able to control space when the other player is sandwhiched between you and your hat. the threat of being able to call it back at any time is very real, and when you do, your either going to get a combo because you caught them trying to move, or your going to get free pressure because its massively plus on block.

MK_Al

Noob
It's absolutely matchup dependent in my opinion.
All variations share more or less the same BNB's. Tempest variation's max damage combos need on bar of meter, so you basically give up one breaker/wakeup/whatever for like 5% extra damage. For me this doesn't pay off, and overall I don't see damage output as an argument on what variation to choose.

So for me it comes down to low hat vs. spinning hat. Buzzsaw's low hat is a huge improvement for the mixup game, while spinning hat prevents some chars from playing in their comfort zone and forcing them to block when going in (though I agree with @Invincible Salads about the inconsistancy).
Hatrick variation seems completely useless for me right now. I'd love to see @UsedForGlue or whoever showcasing this variation.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Hell, i'd showcase the variation, you can record vids with ps4 now right?

did you know you can call your hat back while your in the air too?

MK_Al

Noob
Hell, i'd showcase the variation, you can record vids with ps4 now right?

did you know you can call your hat back while your in the air too?
1 - yes you can :)
2 - I know but it didn't seem usefull since I couldn't connect any other move. I'll have to admit that I only spent like 15min in the lab...

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
1 - yes you can :)
2 - I know but it didn't seem usefull since I couldn't connect any other move. I'll have to admit that I only spent like 15min in the lab...
you either toss out a hat when you get a knockdown, or when the other player is respecting you. any time they get between you and your hat, they are at a huge disadvantage and have to try and guess when your going to call it back. You can easily pressure them in this situation. 44 can even become a mindgame because people would be tempted to backdash between hits. But because you have the threat of 4*call hat, they may not even try it.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
It's absolutely matchup dependent in my opinion.
All variations share more or less the same BNB's. Tempest variation's max damage combos need on bar of meter, so you basically give up one breaker/wakeup/whatever for like 5% extra damage. For me this doesn't pay off, and overall I don't see damage output as an argument on what variation to choose.

So for me it comes down to low hat vs. spinning hat. Buzzsaw's low hat is a huge improvement for the mixup game, while spinning hat prevents some chars from playing in their comfort zone and forcing them to block when going in (though I agree with @Invincible Salads about the inconsistancy).
Hatrick variation seems completely useless for me right now. I'd love to see @UsedForGlue or whoever showcasing this variation.
Hat trick is all about space control and continuous knockdown game.