What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Yeah the new character struggle is real. I just got to get some timings down and moves figured out. Then I'm bodying @FL Rushdown's Ryu no problem. GGs to him.
I look forward to it. That's my favorite matchup in the game outside of the Ryu mirror. Both sides have great tools to beat the other with and both are pretty scary up close and in the mid range it's a good footsie battle.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Yeah he plays Ryu the way I hate Ryu. Using all his tools but changing your timings. Ryu is like the ultimate mixup character. I'm def down to play your Zangief. I need to learn the MU with Cammy. Have you tried looking up some of the known Zangief players CFN and watching their matches? Snake Eyez, Itazan, Stupendous, and ImstillDaDaddy I've seen compete with him. I don't know their CFN IDs though. Could probably get that just by youtubing ranked matches.
I have watched some Itazan matches but need to watch some others seems like they're spacing is much better than mine and always have lspd loaded when opponent steps in range. Once I get that damn sfv app I can learn to punish the non obvious normals and that will help my game tons i think.

@Johnny San ggs man those were some fun matches juri looks pretty fun and maybe a tough matchup for gief. Seems like she controls the range gief wants to be in with ease and can just play keep away with the life lead. Felt like it got a bit laggy starting with Karin match dunno if it was the same for you or not.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Ggs @buyacushun. That Cammy is gonna body my Ryu someday, but that day is not today.
Ugh. Man I'm so close. It's like I'm not only missing an answer but also the Damn question. I still don't really "get" how to use 3 of her moves yet. But I really got to learn what buttons to use and where during that session. GGs man. Any prominent cammy players besides Kazanuko?

Hope you didn't mind the character switch. I need MU exp with my Mika and I felt stuck with Cammy so I took a quick break. Switched back because I felt satisfied with my Mika. I feel at a certain point auth her it just becomes making the right reads.

I have watched some Itazan matches but need to watch some others seems like they're spacing is much better than mine and always have lspd loaded when opponent steps in range. Once I get that damn sfv app I can learn to punish the non obvious normals and that will help my game tons i think.
Yeah I noticed that with itazan and snake. It's like they buffer SPD at every single situation there's a chance for it. It's crazy sometimes.

I use both. "V frames" isnt as in depth but it's simple to use, so I use for quick looks at frame data and some properties like invincibility. "FAT" (frame assist tool), has all the info. All it's missing is actual hitboxes. But it covers frame data, properties, damage/stun, all that.

Ugh. Man I'm so close. It's like I'm not only missing an answer but also the Damn question. I still don't really "get" how to use 3 of her moves yet. But I really got to learn what buttons to use and where during that session. GGs man. Any prominent cammy players besides Kazanuko?

Hope you didn't mind the character switch. I need MU exp with my Mika and I felt stuck with Cammy so I took a quick break. Switched back because I felt satisfied with my Mika. I feel at a certain point auth her it just becomes making the right reads.

Yeah I noticed that with itazan and snake. It's like they buffer SPD at every single situation there's a chance for it. It's crazy sometimes.

I use both. "V frames" isnt as in depth but it's simple to use, so I use for quick looks at frame data and some properties like invincibility. "FAT" (frame assist tool), has all the info. All it's missing is actual hitboxes. But it covers frame data, properties, damage/stun, all that.
the best cammy would be xiao hai imo. Pretty sure poongko and K Brad are still playing her too, just at a lower level.

Edit: I didn't mind the switch. I'm weird in that I kinda like playing vs mika. It's tense.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Ok, there's like 3 Rashidos at WNF tonight. One of them better do something. Valle just got his shit pushed in by some unknown Chun player. The Chun was doing optimal combos though so he's not a scrub.

@Johnny San ggs man those were some fun matches juri looks pretty fun and maybe a tough matchup for gief. Seems like she controls the range gief wants to be in with ease and can just play keep away with the life lead. Felt like it got a bit laggy starting with Karin match dunno if it was the same for you or not.
I'm not convinced that they have SPD 'loaded'. They've been playing a long time, and are likely doing SPD on reaction. In the earlier games, ST, alpha, 3S, there was a lot less input leniency, so to do 360's from down back you had to do the motion really quickly, so that the character was still in crouch animation as you were doing the up directions. These players have liked built up the muscle memory to the point where they can pull it off instantly.

That's not to say that buffering into f.mk, dashes and empty jumps isn't happening, but I think trying to buffer SPD's in neutral is only going to cause problems for you, especially when moves actually hit and you try to combo, but the buffered SPD comes out and you end up eating a full punish. It's best to buffer SPD's into jabs/shorts close up for tick throws, and if you see a move hit, press either s.lk or c.lk instead of punch to combo.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I know everybody is discussing gameplay and getting better and whatnot. But I'd like to change my opinion on Juri's theme:

I like it now lol. Really grew on me.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
@B. Shazzy What do you think of the Guile/Necalli MU? How do you think it should be played because I'm struggling man. I can't throw booms because he wins the trade with his ground pound.

@buyacushun I know you play some Necalli as well so maybe you could chime in too

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I'm not convinced that they have SPD 'loaded'. They've been playing a long time, and are likely doing SPD on reaction. In the earlier games, ST, alpha, 3S, there was a lot less input leniency, so to do 360's from down back you had to do the motion really quickly, so that the character was still in crouch animation as you were doing the up directions. These players have liked built up the muscle memory to the point where they can pull it off instantly.

That's not to say that buffering into f.mk, dashes and empty jumps isn't happening, but I think trying to buffer SPD's in neutral is only going to cause problems for you, especially when moves actually hit and you try to combo, but the buffered SPD comes out and you end up eating a full punish. It's best to buffer SPD's into jabs/shorts close up for tick throws, and if you see a move hit, press either s.lk or c.lk instead of punch to combo.
Yeah that is one thing I noticed instantly that it was much easier to do spds in sfv compared to the very little time I tried them with gief in sfIV. I am getting much better with them now though and rarely fuck them up. I def have learned my lesson trying to buffer them constantly and im getting better at reading situations in which I should have them buffered.

Doing raw ones in neutral trying to whiff punish normals or catch them walking too close is a lil beyond my reach atm but it will come in time once I am more comfortable with Gief and the game in general. Thanks again for the info man your always super helpful I really appreciate it.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
the best cammy would be xiao hai imo. Pretty sure poongko and K Brad are still playing her too, just at a lower level.

Edit: I didn't mind the switch. I'm weird in that I kinda like playing vs mika. It's tense.
So I looked up some stuff. Is hooligan combination and her v-skill just moves that aren't really used? I thought everything was supposed to used but it's like there aren't many viable spots to use those moves.

@B. Shazzy What do you think of the Guile/Necalli MU? How do you think it should be played because I'm struggling man. I can't throw booms because he wins the trade with his ground pound.

@buyacushun I know you play some Necalli as well so maybe you could chime in too
I haven't played Necalli in a while. Most I could say is that if the Necalli has good reactions then getting projectiles out would be a problem. I guess focus more on movement and buttons and be a bit more tight on when you let sonic booms rip. Kind of how projectile users have to be more careful about throwing blasts when their opponent can absorb them.

I still don't fuck with Juri's theme as Juri's theme. It's an alright track to me, still don't like some of the sounds in it.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I still think Juri is potentially in the conversation for being a Top 7-9 character. Her biggest weakness is that she can't win without you out playing your opponent

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I still think Juri is potentially in the conversation for being a Top 7-9 character. Her biggest weakness is that she can't win without you out playing your opponent
She seems really good, but very reliant on every single store she has. For damage, for mixups, for oki, etc. She also seems capable of fighting without VT for the most part. People also seem to dislike her VR for whatever reason.

Also, I'm thinking of starting a Discord group to make it easier to get games going with people. If you have it, drop your ID on here. Mine is THTB#5110 for anyone trying to add me.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
So out of the 3 tournaments (Defend the North in NA, Sonic Boom in Madrid [CPT Ranking Event], Fighting Fest) coming up this weekend which one are you paying the most attention to?

holy fuck man. You said she was the best character in the game YESTERDAY. Now she's 7-9 and you're upset she has to outplay her opponent to win(which is a requirement in 95% of matchups). Just relax and let the character breathe. You can start downplaying her later when we all admit she's mid tier.