What's new

Street Fighter Producer Ono Says Censorship in SFV Was Internally Influenced

The suggestive ass slap is no different than a "kiss my ass" by slapping your ass. I mean, the very next move is a double butt slam by her and her tag partner. It would be entirely different if she slapped her ass and then did a suplex. The meaning of the ass slap is because the move involves a butt slam.

Chun has historically had large breasts. Women in sports wear sports bras to keep them strapped down the best they can, but even that can't stop them from moving. Does that make them objects as well? Chun's clothing is completely appropriate in her standard costume. She's completely covered.

Cammy's original intro had an every so slight upward angle that was mostly obscured by her leg. Again, she's completely covered and Capcom made sure that we couldn't see anything in outlines.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying objectification is good. I'm saying that there's got to be a line where it's ridiculous to edit something out that was completely harmless.
Definitely agree, i guess the debate will forever be where that line is and what is considered harmless.

Well, a few weeks ago one of the topics of UltraChenTV was Mika's buttslap being removed and the whole "sexy-character" thing in fighting games, and I think @UltraDavid hit the nail on the head at 12:30.
But not only that, throughout the whole discussion they made some really good points, so I'd definitely recommend watching it to the end.

I remember playing the second phase of the beta while my brother-in-law was watching some of the matches. Since I was playing Mika, it was hella awkward. From time to time he would say things like "Wow, this game is totally targeted to teenage perverts, right?", and all I could say was "Yeah, it surely looks like that's the case." because, honestly, I can't think of any other reason why they would do that. And then I remember using her Critical Art... "Awkward" doesn't even describe that moment.

It was a weird day. :(
Spot on! such a great way to think about it.

You're over thinking it. This has nothing to do with morality or philosophy. It's about making a game people want to play. If Capcom thinks removing Mika's ass slap will make more people want to play it, they should do it.

We can argue the morality of ass slaps in fighting games until we're blue in the face, but the bottom line is keeping it will turn off gamers, removing it will harm no one.
That's literally exactly what I said till I was asked a question about the morality of offending someone. Cap is making a business decision.

Rearawt

Noob
It really doesn't matter whether it's a business decision or a moralistic one. The influence is internal, so it's still Capcom's decision either way

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Mika, Laura, etc.. all still look fucking rediculous. It's not like they're all of a sudden covered up, so you guys that are concerenced about the butt slap getting removed(lol) still have something to look at. It honestly made me a little u comfortable, as if that's all there is to some characters and they put more efforts into their tits then making a decent/interesting character.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
So they clearly state that the decision was entirely internal and out of their desire to shape the game, and not influenced by external pressure.

....why are people still raging? It was Capcom's call. Stop blaming it on your favorite interwebz strawmans.
I wouldn't say it was clearly stated. I'd rather them just say "A group of people voiced their concerns with Mika's intro to her super, so we yadda, yadda, yadda." But he said they wanted people to be "comfortable" all the while Mika's ass is still hanging out, and in the same super, pancakes her opponent with her and her partners bare bottoms. Laura is unchanged for now, Chun's alt. Etc;. It's weird with trying to widen the comfortability, but there was only 2 changes

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Well, a few weeks ago one of the topics of UltraChenTV was Mika's buttslap being removed and the whole "sexy-character" thing in fighting games, and I think @UltraDavid hit the nail on the head at 12:30.
But not only that, throughout the whole discussion they made some really good points, so I'd definitely recommend watching it to the end.

I remember playing the second phase of the beta while my brother-in-law was watching some of the matches. Since I was playing Mika, it was hella awkward. From time to time he would say things like "Wow, this game is totally targeted to teenage perverts, right?", and all I could say was "Yeah, it surely looks like that's the case." because, honestly, I can't think of any other reason why they would do that. And then I remember using her Critical Art... "Awkward" doesn't even describe that moment.

It was a weird day. :(
Once I get the chance I will watch it

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
"We didn't change this because of outside influences - we simply acknowledged the feedback from feminists and this is what influenced our decision to change it"

Ok Capcom, got it :S

I'm fine with them deciding to remove it. I personally wouldn't have if I was a Capcom executive just because the ass slap works for her character and personality and it makes the intro stand out more, but then again I would never make a game with a character like that to begin with. Not because I think it's an injustice, I just don't find it appealing. I like characters who look cool with awesome abilities that look realistic, which is why I think Mortal Kombat has the best characters in any fighting game. I didn't like the way the females were designed in MK9 just because they didn't look realistic or cool; they were just dumb bitches I would never play as in a million years, but I've heavily considered using Kitana and Mileena in MKX because of how much cooler their character designs are.

I went a bit off topic, but my point is that as long as Capcom removed these details because they either preferred the game without them, or they just didn't want to turn off some consumers, then that's very reasonable. However, if they were to say they removed them because they realized it's wrong to "objectify" women or some nonsense like that or try to apologize for it, then I would disagree. If seeing some scantily clad wrestler woman slap her ass flamboyantly makes you cringe, then I understand just like I'd understand if you didn't want to play or watch a game where all the characters have their genitals exposed, but don't act like the way you personally feel is right and that it's somehow wrong for games like this to be made. If Capcom wanted to make a game where all the characters are naked and every special involves cock slapping and ass slamming, then that would be perfectly acceptable. They would just have to accept the fact that many, many people would not like that.

Last edited:
At what point should people stop fucking themselves and start being considered, what number warrants action?
When the people who are offended by whatever it is are forced to buy or experience it. People who don't like Street Fighter 5 for whatever reason don't have to buy it. If Capcom wants to sell more copies then they can change it to make more people like it, but they can make any type of game they want.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
When the people who are offended by whatever it is are forced to buy or experience it. People who don't like Street Fighter 5 for whatever reason don't have to buy it. If Capcom wants to sell more copies then they can change it to make more people like it, but they can make any type of game they want.
I'm confused, are you saying that liking Street Fighter is liking clown girl ass slaps?

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
updated response from Capcom over censorship debate-

Two of the female characters, Cammy and R. Mika, had what some would consider risque visual sequences. Although neither character's outfit is very conservative in nature, the camera angles that focused directly on more provocative body parts wound up hitting the cutting room floor.

The community almost instantly divided into two camps: one that agreed with the edits, and one viewed them as high-handed censorship. While the game is purposed for the fans, making any judgements on someone else's unreleased product, especially without knowing their motivations, is probably a bit rash.

Seeing as this has remained a hot topic for the community, we decided to ask Capcom's Director of Brand Marketing & Esports, Matt Dahlgren, exactly why the team decided to make these changes.

Dahlgren gives it to us straight, and to the point.

"First and foremost, it's a product still in development, so things get tweaked as we go along. If something could be considered ‘going too far,’ then we might have to scale things back.

“We work very closely with the ESRB to make sure we're a Teen rated franchise, and that's the primary, driving factor," he said.

There it is, right from the source. Capcom felt that the sequences in question could be considered a threat to the game's Teen rating.

It's been evident since very early in the game's life that developers are trying to reach as wide of an audience as possible.

Street Fighter games have traditionally carried a Teen rating, and deviating from that would probably be a bigger disservice to fans than including a few titillating visuals.

Hopefully this is enough of an answer to satisfy the community, and allow us to move on to more pressing matters.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
That's the third DIFFERENT explanation they've given tho

at this point you are kidding yourself if you think they are saying anything other than what they think will have the most positive feedback