What's new

Street Fighter Producer Ono Says Censorship in SFV Was Internally Influenced

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
... Ono has something to say.

Alongside multiple balance tweaks and changes, one thing that many players noticed in the latest beta builds of Street Fighter V were the changes to certain risque cinematics, most notably R. Mika’s cheeky butt slap during her Critical Art activation.

Since then, fans have speculated as to why these changes were made, with theories ranging from outside pressure to their desire to maintain a Teen rating with the ESRB.

In a recent interview with Brazilian site UOL Jogos (which was subsequently translated by NeoGAF’s Moraizen), executive producer Yoshinori Ono assures that their decision came solely within the development team.

“We didn’t make any change because of external influences. Those changes came up internally,” Ono explains. “We decided to remove [R. Mika’s butt slap] because we want the biggest possible number of people to play, and we don’t want to have something in the game that might make someone uncomfortable.”

He goes on to say that while they can’t possibly remove everything that may be offensive to everyone, their goal is to try to reduce it as much as possible.
-------

There you go fellas, enough conspiracies. It's all about the money. LOL

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
... Ono has something to say.

Alongside multiple balance tweaks and changes, one thing that many players noticed in the latest beta builds of Street Fighter V were the changes to certain risque cinematics, most notably R. Mika’s cheeky butt slap during her Critical Art activation.

Since then, fans have speculated as to why these changes were made, with theories ranging from outside pressure to their desire to maintain a Teen rating with the ESRB.

In a recent interview with Brazilian site UOL Jogos (which was subsequently translated by NeoGAF’s Moraizen), executive producer Yoshinori Ono assures that their decision came solely within the development team.

“We didn’t make any change because of external influences. Those changes came up internally,” Ono explains. “We decided to remove [R. Mika’s butt slap] because we want the biggest possible number of people to play, and we don’t want to have something in the game that might make someone uncomfortable.”

He goes on to say that while they can’t possibly remove everything that may be offensive to everyone, their goal is to try to reduce it as much as possible.
-------

There you go fellas, enough conspiracies. It's all about the money. LOL
but getting sandwiched by 2 bare asses is completely acceptable, and comfortable :DOGE

Agilaz

It has begun
“We decided to remove [R. Mika’s butt slap] because we want the biggest possible number of people to play, and we don’t want to have something in the game that might make someone uncomfortable.

Yeah, I wonder which groups of people would be "uncomfortable" with this. Likely a group that STILL won't be getting the game because they don't really care about fighting games or actual gameplay in general.

Wigy

There it is...
The feminist movement loves to focus on things that guys like that have no effect on them instead of actually tackling feminist issues.

Peope wonder why everbody laughs at feminism.

Last edited:
The feminist movement loves to focus on things that guys like that have no effect on them instead of actually tackling feminist issues.

Peope wonder why laughs at feminism.
Even though it should be obvious I'd like to point out that social issues like racism/sexism are the result of millions of minor everyday interactions people have. One show having 0 black main characters doesn't make that show racist, all shows having less than 5% of their cast being black does hint at larger issues though. One butt slap is a pretty inconsequential act, but to say that the video game industry and women are on good terms would be idiotic. So yes, they focus on minor points, because they're the real issues.

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
From the original source, UOL site:
''Em entrevista a UOL Jogos, o produtor da série de games de luta Yoshinori Ono garantiu que a Capcom quer apagar essa noção para que seu jogo não incomode o público feminino.''

Let me translate that for you:
In the UOL Jogos interview, the producer of the fighting games series Yoshinori Ono assured that Capcom want to erase this idea so their game does not bother the female public.

And later they said ''no external influences'' and they wanted ''the biggest possible number of people to play...''

So first he said that was about feminism and later not (?)

Wigy

There it is...
Even though it should be obvious I'd like to point out that social issues like racism/sexism are the result of millions of minor everyday interactions people have. One show having 0 black main characters doesn't make that show racist, all shows having less than 5% of their cast being black does hint at larger issues though. One butt slap is a pretty inconsequential act, but to say that the video game industry and women are on good terms would be idiotic. So yes, they focus on minor points, because they're the real issues.
Are they real issues in gaming though. Male characters are sexualised as well a lot of the time as well. But by any means games are generally created for men by men because thats where the demand for games from, though its changing a little.

There is a lot of stuff i feel they change 'cos feminism' where they could be focusing their efforts on something actually worthwhile. A lot of campaigning for pointless debatable equality while completely ignoring issues effecting many many more women in a very large way.

Modern feminism is a complete joke.

Are they real issues in gaming though. Male characters are sexualised as well a lot of the time as well. But by any means games are generally created for men by men because thats where the demand for games from, though its changing a little.

There is a lot of stuff i feel they change 'cos feminism' where they could be focusing their efforts on something actually worthwhile. A lot of campaigning for pointless debatable equality while completely ignoring issues effecting many many more women in a very large way.

Modern feminism is a complete joke.
But that's NOT where the demand for games is. The average gamer is over 30 nowadays and up to 50% of the gaming community is female.

If capcom was being forcibly censored I'd agree that this is an issue, but from what I've seen/heard they're just adjusting the the product they sell based on consumer feedback, it's a business decision not censorship. The FGC has been trying for years to be seen as mainstream and mature, this isn't a bad direction for capcom to go if that's their goal.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Its not a big deal to me and I personally don't care, but it is a little odd that the butt slap needed to go, but Cammy's leotard hungry ass cheeks, Chun Li-s 360 degree tityspin at character select, and Laura's massive tits don't, surely those would also make these same people just as uncomfortable lol

Wigy

There it is...
But that's NOT where the demand for games is. The average gamer is over 30 nowadays and up to 50% of the gaming community is female.

If capcom was being forcibly censored I'd agree that this is an issue, but from what I've seen/heard they're just adjusting the the product they sell based on consumer feedback, it's a business decision not censorship. The FGC has been trying for years to be seen as mainstream and mature, this isn't a bad direction for capcom to go if that's their goal.
50% of gaming community is not female. I've heard this time and time again and its just not true.

I agree on a business perspective, if its more profitable, do it.

But i don't like pointlessly changing things for the sake of pointless political correctness. Especially if its a long established style.

My point was a general rant about todays feminist movement and not specifically at this.

50% of gaming community is not female. I've heard this time and time again and its just not true.

I agree on a business perspective, if its more profitable, do it.

But i don't like pointlessly changing things for the sake of pointless political correctness. Especially if its a long established style.

My point was a general rant about todays feminist movement and not specifically at this.
As far as I know the gender divide on gaming is pretty even. Feel free to post your stats that disagree though.

https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-307df4d6139ebce5658eb9049b30ffff?convert_to_webp=true

That's just Japan but 44% of console gamers there are female. It's higher for handheld though.

trufenix

bye felicia
As far as I know the gender divide on gaming is pretty even. Feel free to post your stats that disagree though.

https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-307df4d6139ebce5658eb9049b30ffff?convert_to_webp=true

That's just Japan but 44% of console gamers there are female. It's higher for handheld though.
it's weird that you're debating this. WHy the hell does the percentage matter? Even if just one girl is playing games, should we say fuck her if she's uncomfortable?

it's weird that you're debating this. WHy the hell does the percentage matter? Even if just one girl is playing games, should we say fuck her if she's uncomfortable?
I'm just saying that it's a business decision. He said it wasn't going to get cap any sales because women(or feminists) aren't interested in games. Don't go all justicy on me for using stats.

But yeah actually. Everything offends at least one person, so yes. If something offends exactly one person that person can go fuck his or her self.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm just saying that it's a business decision. He said it wasn't going to get cap any sales because women(or feminists) aren't interested in games. Don't go all justicy on me for using stats.
Well, he's an idiot. Anybody who says an equivalent amount of girls don't play any game is an idiot.

But yeah actually. Everything offends at least one person, so yes. If something offends exactly one person that person can go fuck his or her self.
At what point should people stop fucking themselves and start being considered, what number warrants action?

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Butt slap apparently is more offensive than getting your face smothered by 2 giant asses. Fucking Ono with his retarded decisions, but hey, pc modders will probably fix it on day -1.

Well, he's an idiot. Anybody who says an equivalent amount of girls don't play any game is an idiot.

At what point should people stop fucking themselves and start being considered, what number warrants action?
Honestly? From a business perspective it's different than a moral one, and on morality there's a pretty wide range of varying philosophies. I personally wouldn't do anything with the INTENT(I think intent is the most important part here) to offend, but if my actions do offend someone I judge it situation to situation.

So I guess on a personal level id say it's my responsibility to try not to offend anyone but on a business/art level it's not really on me. If a show or product offends someone(which they all do) it's on that person to avoid it(assuming you believe in free speech and an open market).

Just for an example I remember when the DLC for the last of us came out and one of my fundamentalist Christian friends told me he was upset that Ellie was/might be a lesbian. I told him to get over it, I don't think companies like capcom or naughty dog should make it their goal to not offend people. And I don't think they should be censored if they do.

Wigy

There it is...
Honestly? From a business perspective it's different than a moral one, and on morality there's a pretty wide range of varying philosophies. I personally wouldn't do anything with the INTENT(I think intent is the most important part here) to offend, but if my actions do offend someone I judge it situation to situation.

So I guess on a personal level id say it's my responsibility to try not to offend anyone but on a business/art level it's not really on me. If a show or product offends someone(which they all do) it's on that person to avoid it(assuming you believe in free speech and an open market).

Just for an example I remember when the DLC for the last of us came out and one of my fundamentalist Christian friends told me he was upset that Ellie was/might be a lesbian. I told him to get over it, I don't think companies like capcom or naughty dog should make it their goal to not offend people. And I don't think they should be censored if they do.
Basically, don't try change things cause they don't fall in line with your beliefs. Go support something which does and just ignore the things that don't.