What's new

SpeedTest.net

leek

Noob
You don't really need a monstrous connection to play a game online smoothly. You can have a frigging 1gbit line and if there is high latency there will be lag.
It's terrible though.
hold on ill edit in

I always lag online. Is that because of other players as stated earlier?

and I hate my down. I get 128kbps.

when i say always, I mean ALWAYS. When i play my buddy medina(who lives about 5-10 miles away.) I have about a 4/10th of a second lag with him and he has amazing internet. I just played against three different people online just now, and all three won because I couldn't get any inputs in.

DIRTY

Noob
Bro I couldnt agree more. The ranked matches in MK are a joke. I actually wrote about this some time ago somewheres in the forums. In Ranked, the laggiest matches of all time are against people with good records. It's no coincidence brother, they are lag switching. Thats why their inputs are ALWAYS one step ahead of you. Another thing I've noticed, on PSN, It's worse than on XBL, Have no idea why but on PSN it seems ALOT laggier.

EDIT: My speed:
Amen.

aj1701

Noob
Bro I couldnt agree more. The ranked matches in MK are a joke. I actually wrote about this some time ago somewheres in the forums. In Ranked, the laggiest matches of all time are against people with good records. It's no coincidence brother, they are lag switching. Thats why their inputs are ALWAYS one step ahead of you. Another thing I've noticed, on PSN, It's worse than on XBL, Have no idea why but on PSN it seems ALOT laggier.

EDIT: My speed:

It's terrible though.
hold on ill edit in

when i say always, I mean ALWAYS. When i play my buddy medina(who lives about 5-10 miles away.) I have about a 4/10th of a second lag with him and he has amazing internet. I just played against three different people online just now, and all three won because I couldn't get any inputs in.
Its probably you. latency matters, but if the pipe can't hold much data, latency goes up. You have anything else using your connection when you play?

It's terrible though.
hold on ill edit in

I think it's a problem with the Servers MK uses, Gamespy. I've heard nothing but bad news about Gamespy. And the netcode for this game is bad too according to most.

leek

Noob
Its probably you. latency matters, but if the pipe can't hold much data, latency goes up. You have anything else using your connection when you play?
Oh yeah. And considering we peak out at 180kbps, and i have at least 2 people surfing the web at all times( one of which visits sites with a lot of pictures = more time to download ...) so I get about 50-100 kbps and my latency is terri-bad.

DIRTY

Noob
For me, I'm direct connect to my modem... Not even a router. I honestly believe location in the Gamespy servers/Lobbies plays a huge part in the leaderboard ratios. I did a little gamercard research on the boards both ranked and player matches. Some of the highest ratios are all from the same areas, And not even big cities. Funny how out of the two hundred people, Top one hundred for each. I could only find 2 repping NY, The biggest city in the states. Coincidence, I think not.

Well, My Private matches run Okay with people who are close and have a good connect. In lobbies or KOTH, FUCT!

aj1701

Noob
Oh yeah. And considering we peak out at 180kbps, and i have at least 2 people surfing the web at all times( one of which visits sites with a lot of pictures = more time to download ...) so I get about 50-100 kbps and my latency is terri-bad.
I just realized, I may have come off like a jerk in my response to you. Sorry if I did, I didn't intend that.

Lots of things affect latency, distance, number of hops, etc. A great way to spike your latency is to use all your available bandwidth. Other people surfing on sites with lots of pictures will do that pretty easily with your connection speed.

What I would do, if you don't have one already, is get a router which supports QoS (Quality of Service) configuration. A gaming router would be ideal. It will then give much higher priority to your MK game than your friends / roommates / whatever downloading images all the time.

It won't eliminate your problems, but it might help bring it to a more managable level.

aj1701

Noob
For me, I'm direct connect to my modem... Not even a router. I honestly believe location in the Gamespy servers/Lobbies plays a huge part in the leaderboard ratios. I did a little gamercard research on the boards both ranked and player matches. Some of the highest ratios are all from the same areas, And not even big cities. Funny how out of the two hundred people, Top one hundred for each. I could only find 2 repping NY, The biggest city in the states. Coincidence, I think not.

Well, My Private matches run Okay with people who are close and have a good connect. In lobbies or KOTH, FUCT!
Dirty, that makes sense. One of the factors in latency is distance and number of hops between the hosts. So it all depends on where the servers are located. Real estate being what it is, its likely not cost effect to have a physical server sitting in NYC. Iowa though, for example...

Add in the fact that there's only so many pipes out of the NYC area and how crowded it is... its easy to see why you discovered what you did.

leek

Noob
I just realized, I may have come off like a jerk in my response to you. Sorry if I did, I didn't intend that.
Didn't even think you meant it like that, sorry if *I* came off as a jerk :p

no but I could try all that, and I don't doubt it wouldn't work, but I have no money.

aj1701

Noob
Didn't even think you meant it like that, sorry if *I* came off as a jerk :p

no but I could try all that, and I don't doubt it wouldn't work, but I have no money.
No you didn't at all. I just saw what I wrote and I can be a bit too blunt at times. :)

Ya, the router solution would cost at least $80.

So maybe scissors to the cabling of the friends computers? :)

leek

Noob
No you didn't at all. I just saw what I wrote and I can be a bit too blunt at times. :)

Ya, the router solution would cost at least $80.

So maybe scissors to the cabling of the friends computers? :)
Wireless -.-* and yeah 80$ is out the window considering I have to buy Battlefield 3 and there's no way I'm not getting BF3...

aj1701

Noob

So this is what i got. Is my speed bad?
Well its graded a D so...

Thing is you could be just fine to play MK online. The upload speed will hurt you if you're doing other things though, like browsing the web, downloading movies, etc. It will be easy to saturate the pipe, and once that happens latency goes up.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
From what I know it is not the "gamespy servers" since the netcode is based on Peer to Peer connection. Meaning your connection vs mine. They use gamespy for the chat and that's it.

aj1701

Noob

what is more important download or upload when playing mk online?
Well both... you're recieving sync data from the other player, and you're sending your game data (inputs, collisions, etc). Lantency is also important, and a single digit ping is good. Of course it will vary based on lots of things, and how the game plays will depend on your connection to the other person. You both might have a kick ass connection, but the route between the two of you blows, and so will your game.

Well its graded a D so...

Thing is you could be just fine to play MK online. The upload speed will hurt you if you're doing other things though, like browsing the web, downloading movies, etc. It will be easy to saturate the pipe, and once that happens latency goes up.
Lol, thats funny. When i posted that up I didnt even see the grade letter :(

So what is your experience like playing MK?
Fine usually, only time i have a problem is when the family is streaming.

Question for anyone:

Thats my speed when connected to the router and this is when im wireless

should i just change to my wirless connection? For some reason I always seem to do better when im wirless then when I'm connected. We did just have the hurricane here...so that might be a reason???

Y'alls upload speeds are a joke. Are you guys using the stock modem they sent you? If so ditch that shit as Comcast and others cap your upload speeds on the firmware for those. Get your ass like a Motorola board and configure it yourself ;)

-__-" Am I really helping my opponent by having a good connection? Curse you 78% of America!
No not really. The thing is that games don't actually take a monstorous amount of bandwidth to work well. It's not sending that much data. It's not like say downloading files or streaming where that sort of thing really counts. Latency and dropping packets are going to affect the quality of your games far more than raw bandwidth unless you're connecting to someplace really far away.

The problem, and this holds true for most online games, is that if someone is lagging or dropping packets it's going to royally fuck shit up. I play(d) a ton of Quake online which is as fast of an FPS as it gets. People dropping packets.... you can shoot right through them, and then can warp about the place, if latency is bad they're also going to lag like hell.

That makes shit a mess for everybody. But it's insanely frustrating for people with a good connection.

To make matters worse games over PSN are peer to peer, rather than hosted off a dedicated server which tosses more bullshit into the matter.