What's new

General/Other - Predator Speculations on Predator's Gameplay

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Dude, that's a known fact that predator was an inspiration for both Fulgore and MK's cyber-ninja's: the dreads, the mask , some moves, smokes invisibility maybe... I don't mean storywise... Of course cyber-ninja and an alien hunter are different concepts, but they look all too much alike and use similar moves in this particular case)
That's true, I'm not really talking about that though. I know they're pretty similar in design. What I don't understand is people thinking Predator will have similar moves to Cyrax in MKX, when Cyrax was the one who "borrowed" moves from Predator. They have completely different fighting styles, and Predator has a huge set of gadgets. He'll play completely different.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It's almost guaranteed that he's going to play like the cyborgs, it's the perfect concession if they don't feature them in the main roster through later DLC.

It's funny, because I had just brought this up to @RunwayMafia earlier tonight, and now I'm seeing this thread haha

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
I doubt it. That's like shitting all over the Predator fans by basically making him Cyrax and Sektor, giving him moves and specials he wouldn't normally do/have. Thus making him not feel like.. well, the Predator. @xWildx

At least that's my two cents.

I think it'd be a waste to put the Predator in just to give him two variations that are just Cyrax and Sektor. Has Predator even really used bombs before outside the newest AvP game?

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
He
I think it'd be a waste to put the Predator in just to give him two variations that are just Cyrax and Sektor. Has Predator even really used bombs before outside the newest AvP game?
didn't use bombs in that game, did he? Or are you talking about the mines?

Mines are kinda like bombs, plus the ones in that game you can really just throw like bombs, they have barely any set time

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
AvP series affected me the most when it comes to how I picture Predator. Large, fast, traversing huge distances in a single leap. Can fight at range or up close and personal, but at his strongest when given an opportunity to prepare the battlefield - opportunity he will gladly create himself using his stealthy and fast movement. In engagement his tools are hit-or-miss, he must wield them with precision and finesse lest he will probably be forced to retreat and prepare next attack...

Sounds like an offshoot of IGAU Lex to me (as in - less armor, more traps; not that it isn't a theme in MKX already), using mobility and cloak to cover his attempts at bringing setups online (in the fluff he has a lot of things like that - deployable traps/mines, guided smart disc, even net could be used like that in MK9 sometimes). Healing may be an option too, as a tactical alternative, combined with amount of trash such character could put on screen, it can even work. You're back to square 1 after that I assume, but that's setup characters for you.

Otherwise he may be given some fast and probably unsafe moves to keep opponent who tries to navigate his course in check. Some pounce, spear throw or something like that can fit the bill. Chargeable plasma caster somehow fits here too, although from another end.

He may have a variation built around additional melee weapon (a lot of characters already do this) - his combistick/spear.

Just random thoughts here. I usually don't post stuff like this, but AvP games are really nostalgic to me.

Edit: oh and new brutalities will be only natural for this character.

Last edited:

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Easy : Claws, Spear, Web, Shoulder canon, Camouflage, Long jump, red vision, Platter projectile, Nuke.

And I easly see a healing variation without his mask, and him repeating what the opponent is saying at the beginning of the round with his voice recorder. :D

SaibotMk

Adrenaline
I really hope the Predator is not like a bulky slower moving type character. I mean I don't expect him to be a ninja like Cyrax or Sektor, but hope their is some agility to him.

Either way I am stoked to see a Predator gameplay trailer.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
My best guess?

Variation 1: net trap hilarity. Nets and boomerang spiny blade trap-setting.
Variation 2: arm blade chip damage rushdown/invisible 50/50 vortex because this is NRS.
Variation 3: simplistic shoulder cannon zoning

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Variation 1: Up close pressure with wristblades and Spear
Variation 2: Long range weapons introduced like plasmacaster, spear gun, Disk
Variation 3: Netgun ala Cyrax shenanigans maybe :D

Fatality 1: Rip out skull and spinal cord for a trophy
Fatality 2: Skin and hang upside down

Brutality 1: Slice in half with disc ala Predator 2 :D
Brutality 2: Plasmacaster makes a big hole in the opponents chest ala Jesse Ventura in Predator 1

My 0.02

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
This is like every TYMers dream, i have to tell that i'm excited myself to see what will NRS do with him, i've seen some posts speculating on how predator will possibly be like, but i couldn't keep track of them, so don't hold back in here, this is what i think:

Based on the DLC model we've Spoted on the Reveal:

... I want that.

Geth

Bows don't kill people, the arrows do.
What would make me really happy is 3 variations based on the specializing done by an elite pred.

"Elite Predators are often leaders in their clan, and are only elevated to the caste of Elite Predator once they have acquired the skull of a Xenomorph Queen. About 15% of blooded Yautja are Elite Predators. Elites specialize in a particular weapon, making that weapon their strongsuit; for example, a Brawler is an expert in Wrist Blades, while a Spearmaster uses the Combi-Stick. Elite Predators often become retirees after a few decades."
- AVP Wiki on Elite Predators.

My guess is we'll get a Brawler rushdown variation, a Spearmaster variation with some Aquaman scoops and flurry stabs, and a zoner tech-based variation o make up for a lack of Cyrax/Sektor.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
his zoning variation will probably involve his shoulder cannon, he'll probably have a spear variation, and his other variation maybe use his invisiblity or something? what do u think?

Rough ideas i'd like to see. A "Stalker" (Rushdown)variation with cloaking device,smart disc,net and extendable spear ( longer range normals). "Soldier" (Zone)Plasma cannon,smart disc,net and self destruct(results in automatic match extension. does 30,35% dmg and only can be used if in"danger" health levels) and extendable claws."Butcher" (Hybrid)Smart disc,daggers,net,extendable claws on both hands resulting in unique normals and a command grab. Just off the top of my head.

Scrotie79

Wannabe Pro Jobber
Consider the following: each Elite Predator has a weapon they specialize in. Also consider the fact that every predator has the following devices (default): plasma-caster, wrist-blades, cloaking device, bio-mask (for seeing in non-infared spectrum's of light) self destruct unit, and a med kit.
If NRS was smart they would have: plasma-caster, cloaking device, med kit and self destruct(passive) as universal specials. Also some normals/strings will include wrist-blades. Variations would then therefore be:

Zoning: add's plasma pistol, net gun and spear gun.

Rushdown: add's wrist-scimitar strings, power punch glove and wrist-scimitar command grab.

"That other variation": add's tail-whip (possibly a command grab), smart-disc and various throwing mines (frag mines, fire mines, sonic mines).

However this IS NRS we are talking about so anything 'canon' won't happen because "fuck you, that's why." I am actually kind of scared to see what NRS does with Predator... though I am hopeful at the same time...

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
:coffee: im speachless. but ill give it a crack

i hope he is like himself, but with some cyber smoke/cyrax/sector like abilities in him.

• Disks: could be like cyrax's bombs but different: just hoping here... (timed bombs)
  • Lasers: could stun to extend combos
  • His staff: could be a kung jin rival but with flashier combos
  • Stealth: could be a passive, that randomly goes on and off unless u meter burn for it.
  • His blaster: could knock up opponents, or simply zone them away
  • NET: could grab opponent out of air and stick them to the corner

he could have a jungle flip style thats strange to the eye,

• 1st variation could be a full zoning focused with blaster knockbacks and staff range.
  • 2nd variation could be disks and lasers. popup and stun.
  • 3rd variation could be the knife grappler variation. raw in your face, but the kick could be his stealth passive. (one can only dream)
i could go on for days about what i would like, but who really knows?

I cant wait.

all i really want is:
good mixups
uniuqe moves
comboability with some sort of stun pop up or tele to cary them on
good anti airs in at least one variation

Last edited: