What's new

Sonya's amplified air control (patch 1.07)

RakeemGTR

Eat Ass n Nuts
How do you guys feel about Sonya's inability to do a pop up from her amplified air control?

I personally find it a bit deflating and discouraging as it takes away from her 39% to 43% combo potential. Now you can longer go from air control amp into 333, bf2 or f41+3, 2222

I just wish they would've reduced the damage of amp air control and keep the pop up.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
It was a necessary nerf .... I'm a Sonya's main too, and we, players, cannot rely and be totally dependent of this special move to play Sonya all the time ..... she still has very good gameplay and you can play her around this change they made it on her moveset.

She was ridiculous overpowered before, so, it's a fair nerf IMO :)

RakeemGTR

Eat Ass n Nuts
It was a totally unnecessary tool to begin with, made air grab redundant, and wasn't the optimal way to combo midscreen. Sonya wasn't nerfed, she was normalized. It only helped corner conversions which is where she actually did get way too much damage.
Yeah midscreen I definitely agree it wasn't optimal. But I guess because I don't really play any other character I didn't really realize how much more damage she was doing in the corner compared to other characters.

Ozzy_K

Death waits for a slightest lapse in concentration
She still has one of the best projectiles in the game and krushing blows off air grab and amplified air rings.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
She’s fine. And in my opinion still the best character in the game. She still controls neutral almost better than anyone with the energy rings. It’s a ridiculous footsie tool and was the only thing that would kill her if it got nerfed, unless they had killed her damage which they didn’t. Sonya players I am hear to tell you all I’m not trying to hear this downplay stuff stop what you’re doing. Please lol.

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
do yourself a favor, learn No Holds Barred. You can parRy almost every gap in the game. Slept on tbh.
Not so fast youngster. You can parry SOME gaps. In practice it allows you to parry everything but when you get in game, it doesn’t work. I would say I was too slow, but me and my friend actually actively tried to do it in a game and I kept getting hit. We did it with Jax F22 I believe you try it yourself and let me know if you can

Last edited:

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
She'll still be strong, but more in line with the rest of the cast now, which IMO is the way to go when balancing top tiers unless they literally have gamebreaking stuff which wasn't her case

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Not so fast youngster. You can parry SOME gaps. I’m practice it allows you to parry everything but when you get in game, it doesn’t work. I would say I was too slow, but me and my friend actually actively tried to do it in a game and I kept getting hit. We did it with Jax F22 I believe you try it yourself and let me know if you can
were the same age there, youngster.

RakeemGTR

Eat Ass n Nuts
She’s fine. And in my opinion still the beat character in the game. She still controls neutral almost better than anyone with the energy rings. It’s a ridiculous footsie tool and was the only thing that would kill her if it got nerfed, unless they had killed her damage which they didn’t. Sonya players I am hear to tell you all I’m not trying to hear this downplay stuff stop what you’re doing. Please lol.
Huh?

This combo extender tool should never have been a thing in the first place. She hits hard even without it. So now instead of hitting like a monster truck, she will just hit like a regular truck. And I think they buffed the damage so now we have a combo ender that does not switch sides.
And if you're fighting a jumping bean, then you can still have a KB launch out of it.

do yourself a favor, learn No Holds Barred. You can parRy almost every gap in the game. Slept on tbh.
I agree, I've played a set against @Vslayer with it and the variation is great and more fair to fight against (no safe mix ups with the ring cancels). The only thing is that the air grab is quite situationnal here and I think they should have swapped the air grab of No Holds Barred with the turret drop in Ring Master.

I still explode every time I guess wrong or play stupid, now I just have to guess wrong or do something stupid one or two more times than before. I think the character is still incredibly strong and still excels at what she did pre-patch (forcing opponents to come to her, mauling peeps in the corner, and punishing big dumb idiots like myself with a bus load of damage).

Called it 2 months ago. Reasonable nerf to Sonya.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I feel she is still high tier, not top 3 anymore bit that's fine. I disagree with how she got nerfed and glad it wasn't her rings because I feel that would destroy her MU's.
They should have just scaled her damage when using Air Control not the ability to extend combos for a bar. I think 33% midscreen is a well balanced amount and 40% in corner with KB seems fair.

I