What's new

Sonya Kombos

I like to use the ->2, 2, 4 after the dive kick from mid screen, because I lose 2% and automatically put them in the corner and let the games begin. Any advice of ways to improve this are more than welcome.

Hi everyone! First I want to apologize for my future mistake and hope you will understand me.

sonya infinite: dive kick, 2, 1,(F, UF) dive kick 2, 1 ---> repeat (almost impossible for human, so far I can only do it 3 times)

(corner) Jump in punch, F+2, 2, MS, (F, UF) dive kick(cross up) 2, 1, leg grab, D+1, leg grab ex (49% 1 meter)

Here some glitch I've found, they are reset to extend your combo if your opponent doesn't block.

(midscreen) MS F+1 (in the air) cartwheel eg: 1, 1, 4, MS F+1, both hit must touch higher as possible, then cartwheel will pick up the opponent.
(corner) MS F+1 (ground) cartwheel
(corner) 3,1,2, MS (dash cancel) what you want
(midscreen) This one only work with the following combo: B+2, 1, F+2, NJP, dive kick (this one is tricky, you have to hit has a certain height with the NJP then slightly delay the dive kick and it will touch a standing opponent)

I think all of these will only work 1 time lol. but it's always good to knows.

And finally I discovered you can combo after a second kiss. eg: kiss, B+2, 1, F+2, B+2,1, kiss, 4, cartwheel etc.
Is there any way to upload a video of these combos at all? Especially the ones with dive kick into 2,1.

Is there any way to upload a video of these combos at all? Especially the ones with dive kick into 2,1.
I might be able to upload some, but really they aren't the most practical things to try and learn. I know I wouldn't hope to pull even 1/2 of the out in an entire match just because you're probably going to drop it and lose the opening.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Okay so I've re evaluated the Oki options of my combos, and I like ending them with cartwheel now.

:bp :fp xx :d:r:fk > Forward Dash > :l+:bp :fp :r+:bp > :bp :fp xx :d:r:fk

I've also been messing around with ending it with the grab option off of military stance which looks like:

:bp :fp xx :d:r:fk > Forward Dash > :l+:bp :fp :r+:bp > :bp xx :d:l:bp > :fp+:fk :)fp+:bp)

So, has anyone of you noticed that Sonya has an attack that resets juggled opponents into a standing position?

I've been testing her out for the last couple of days and i found that she can reset an opponent with 1,1,2. It is specifically the 2 that resets the opponent and has them bending forward a bit as they land on their feet. You can follow it up quickly by dashing in and doing whatever.

I've even made a little combo that turned out to be similar to another one in this thread that ends in the reset and on its own does 38% added whatever you can get out of the reset and you've got something pretty sweet.

52% midscreen metereless sounds great! I've been trying to get fifty and can only get to 49%. A 52% midscreen on top of my little 46% corner!? Yeah I'm taking Revival this month.

So, I heard, notations and explanations help Sonya players in the Sonya Kombo thread.

'Just sayin, bro. /heart

Oh, and someone needs to make a chart defining which combo parts are reset-able from Kiss and 1,1,2 and from where for the people like me that have a mental problem when it comes to Sonya.

Also, since it says tactics in OP's line too: ending combos (or anything close) and baiting wake-ups with mil. stance is a great conditioning/yomi tool.

I like the easy, respond with a combo, 1/2 low knock downs (sweep/mil.sweep/mil.f+1,1, etc.) and popping mil. as they get up, dropping the overhead tackle. I know losing that many mix-ups in a row would make me rage quit the match.

Also, the lunging strings from mil. combined with advance guard are, from my experience, the best way to offensively approach against defensive char's (Easymac, Smoke, Noob, etc.)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Okay sorry guys I REALLY wanted to record it rather than just post it, but I probably won't have time. Maybe I can tonight...

Anyway, so far I've added a few things to what everyone's been using:

1. The harder one is that :bk xx Military Stance, :r, :ur, Dive Kick works, so obviously this is an infinite. The timing is pretty hard though.

2. The easier one and IMO SUPER useful one is that :r+:fp out of Military Stance (The two hit low dash punch) is actually special cancelable at the end. The only two things that connect afterwards in a juggle are Leg Grab and X Ray. My combo was:

(Dive Kick > :bk) xx Military Stance, :r, :ur, Dive Kick > :bp :fp xx Cartwheel > Dash > :l+:bp :fp :r+:bp > :bp xx Military Stance, :r+:fp followup xx Leg Grab (or X-Ray!).

52%, but the :bk stance cancel to dive kick is HARD.

Ideally you can change the part of the start with parentheses around it into (Jump Punch, :r+:bp :bp) and it becomes WAY easier, but deals 48%

These are reasonable as punishers but not for too much else, but adding the dash punches into leg throw has made my BnB a lot better. So far it's:

:bp :fp xx Cartwheel > Dash > :l+:bp :fp :r+:bp > :bp xx Military Stance, :r+:fp followup xx Leg Grab.

35% without any combo starter. I think it's 40 or 41% with a dive kick starter.

SLASH

Noob
I will practice this :cool:
Okay sorry guys I REALLY wanted to record it rather than just post it, but I probably won't have time. Maybe I can tonight...

1. The harder one is that :bk xx Military Stance, :r, :ur, Dive Kick works, so obviously this is an infinite. The timing is pretty hard though.

2. The easier one and IMO SUPER useful one is that :r+:fp out of Military Stance (The two hit low dash punch) is actually special cancelable at the end. The only two things that connect afterwards in a juggle are Leg Grab and X Ray. My combo was:

(Dive Kick > :bk) xx Military Stance, :r, :ur, Dive Kick > :bp :fp xx Cartwheel > Dash > :l+:bp :fp :r+:bp > :bp xx Military Stance, :r+:fp followup xx Leg Grab (or X-Ray!).

Ideally you can change the part of the start with parentheses around it into (Jump Punch, :r+:bp :bp) and it becomes WAY easier, but deals 48%

These are reasonable as punishers but not for too much else, but adding the dash punches into leg throw has made my BnB a lot better. So far it's:

:bp :fp xx Cartwheel > Dash > :l+:bp :fp :r+:bp > :bp xx Military Stance, :r+:fp followup xx Leg Grab.

Thanks, Chef!

NRS should make her Mil. stance fast block cancelable to make these more accessible - I'm all for her being the rush-down, combo-queen.

There's the elitist part of me that thinks, "Well, if you're good you'll pull these out!" (I played Akira in VF competitively for a long time.) However, the dive kick link is to the level of difficult ambiguity that, even given the blatant chance, it ain't worth the hassle.

Again, more post-ups of uncovered Sonya goodness palz!

So, I heard, notations and explanations help Sonya players in the Sonya Kombo thread.

'Just sayin, bro. /heart

Oh, and someone needs to make a chart defining which combo parts are reset-able from Kiss and 1,1,2 and from where for the people like me that have a mental problem when it comes to Sonya.

Also, since it says tactics in OP's line too: ending combos (or anything close) and baiting wake-ups with mil. stance is a great conditioning/yomi tool.

I like the easy, respond with a combo, 1/2 low knock downs (sweep/mil.sweep/mil.f+1,1, etc.) and popping mil. as they get up, dropping the overhead tackle. I know losing that many mix-ups in a row would make me rage quit the match.

Also, the lunging strings from mil. combined with advance guard are, from my experience, the best way to offensively approach against defensive char's (Easymac, Smoke, Noob, etc.)
Haha, ok, i thought all i did was explain :p Ok. Jump d4,2,1,cartwheel,dash,b2,1,f2,1,dash,1,1,2 for 38% reset combo. change the last part from 1,dash,1,1,2 to 1,1,cartwheel for same damage but knockdown with good positioning for oki.

Funny thing that probably will have little effect upon sonya gameplay; 3,1 launches, just a bit, but enough to follow up with dash 1,1,2 for a reset. This is how i found Sonyas reset.

EGP Wonder_Chef

There's the elitist part of me that thinks, "Well, if you're good you'll pull these out!" (I played Akira in VF competitively for a long time.) However, the dive kick link is to the level of difficult ambiguity that, even given the blatant chance, it ain't worth the hassle.
If you start with (Jump Punch) :r+:bp :bp xx Military Stance it's actually really easy and very hit confirmable. Of course if they block it you can go into the overhead :)fp+:fk) or low :)r+:fp) mixup or even just dashforward and pressure some more (even though this is approaching her block infinite =[ )

Altogether I've reassessed Sonya and I think that you need some crazy execution with her but she's actually very strong. Reminds me of C. Viper a LOT.

I've got a decent juggle combo I figured out, but I have no idea how to use the proper notation in this forum (e.g. the picture for directions and FP/BP/FK/BK)

Malec

Noob
I've got a decent juggle combo I figured out, but I have no idea how to use the proper notation in this forum (e.g. the picture for directions and FP/BP/FK/BK)
u use ps3 so:
square = FP or 1
triangle = BP or 2
x = FK or 3
circle = BK or 4

up = u
down = d
forward = f
backward = b
up/forward (jumping forward) = u/f
up/back (jumping back) = u/b
and so on

Neclord

Noob

Very nice.
But I doubt it will work online, the stance cancel to dive kick is insane.
I don't know how to do it, a video would be really nice!

And the big question is: Is it still possible after NRS fixed her Military Stance?

Neclord

Noob
Nice Lt.Blade.
Your combo does 45% damage without meter. :)

I noticed that you also can start the combo with jump in punch, Dive kick,:bk into Cartwheel (well that's my preferred start for her combos).

It's easier to use and you get the same damage. :)
I usually do a lot of her 35-41% damage combos, but this 45% combo could be worth to learn.

After the kiss in the corner, you have time to jump and dive kick to continue a combo. You can get 56% with xray in the corner.
jump punch xx dive kick, BK xx Cartwheel, b+BP > FP xx Kiss, dive kick, BK, Xray

This first midscreen combo is better then my second videos midscreen combo because it combos your opponent almost half way across the stage, usually pushing them into the corner, which is better then an added 2% on a combo.

More midscreen damage.

^Taking from that.
(opponent: starting position) b2,1,f2 > NJP > dash ~ kiss > dash ~ b2,1,f2 > 2,1 ~ cartwheel > (takes into corner) 1,1,2 (42%)

(back is in the corner) b2,1,f2 > dash (to the other side) 2,1 ~ cartwheel > (corner) 1,1,2 (31%)

They're more about the positioning and the ability to do it off of a safe than the damage.