What's new

Sonya Kombos

MokiDono

Noob
I started to end my combos with 112 and after that i go for a mixup. If i get a cartwheel, i do f22 dash 112 and after that i have time to dash up and start a string. It's still good damage, and you can earn more easily after it. But i still have to check if it's truely safe and reliable. What do you guys think?

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS
Wonder how long til people complain about her
When she'll be actually better than 10+ chars above her.

I started to end my combos with 112 and after that i go for a mixup. If i get a cartwheel, i do f22 dash 112 and after that i have time to dash up and start a string. It's still good damage, and you can earn more easily after it. But i still have to check if it's truely safe and reliable. What do you guys think?
It's certainly combo ender of choice, the same as JCage's Nut Punch - it's allows you to continue pressure without a pain of trying to go in again.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
I just registered on this forums and...

A Sonya Combo Thread??? YES!

I knew there was other people who share the passion I have for the Lieutenant in this game. She's just a beast!

And through this passion I made a Sonya Combo Video (my first MK9 video, actually), showcasing combos from 42% to 56%.

Funny thing is that I recorded the exact same 50% combos that Lt.Blade posted in page 3, but I had no idea that those were discovered after many Youtube searches and no results for this specific combos. :confused:

Also, I recorded two variations of Vex Kasrani's combo shown on his "Sonya Combos I Guess" video (the last combo) -- one using the Enchanced versions of the Special Moves, and another ending with a X-Ray. All credits goes to him! =D

And I didn't know about the Military Stante Cancel to Dive Kick... Hm... It looks interesting. Is it an infinite? I should try that out.

Poto2222

And finally... my masterpiece...

Dude, 56% midscreen? :wow:
Now THAT'S impressive!

So yeah, [2, 1, Military Stance jump cancel, Air Drop] is indeed an infinite combo, right?

Also, what about hitting a JumpPunch before the first Air Drop? Will it scale the combo badly?

ucrosh02

Noob
I'm training the kombos to use in match up. I play as Sonya Blade, and I am much offensive (there are some characters that I have to be more cautious). At the tag team I play as Mileena, Sonya and Mileena, I think that they do a good team :spider:

Lately i've been using 1,1,4~cartwheel to start ground combos, it's a bit longer a string so you have more time to see what is going on and ofcourse, there's more time for your opponent to mess up hehe. After the hit, you can just follow up as you usually do, probably not with as damaging a result, but i think this starter is sort of unexpected because it works alot.

Also 1,1,2~cartwheel almost instantly tags a reseted opponent with a mid that launches. It's way quicker than a dash up throw and hopefully, if the opponent isn't expecting it will net you something like 1,1, dash,1,1,2 dash up throw from wich one dash puts you in a postition where you can either 1, play oki from the ground 2, do a cross-up jump punch 3, do a cross-up divekick that goes back to the side you jumped from and thus has a good chance of avoiding some anti airs while netting you damage. The especially nasty thing though is that if you go for the divekick and the opponent chooses to techroll away, the divekick will follow and you've probably got a hit.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
The big advantage for 1 1 4 is that 1 starts waaaay faster than 2 does, but the sacrifice is that the 4 in that chain uses up a little bit of the juggle potential in the combo, so the follow ups have to be weaker.

As for the 1 1 2 into cartwheel to reset, I don't believe cartwheel is an overhead. It is safe on block and builds a lot of meter though. In fact I've been using cr.4 xx Carthweel a lot to get in on people. Sonya has one of the longest reaching cr.4's in the game.

I use 114 to move the character across the screen.. However, I found that the most you can do on a 114 is 23-25%.. also you have to be careful about inputting 114.. if you do it too fast, negative edge.. comes out as a leg lift..

The safer better is 112 cartwheel OR mixup 112 miltary stance f1 (hits low).. great mixup..

The biggest problem Im having with Sonya is the dive kick 21 cartwheel.. Sometimes I do dive kick very low to the ground really really low.. and then the timing of the 21 iis off stopping the combo.. its happens alot..

Oh one more thing about negative edge.. I have found that after dashes, the b21 f2 comes out as fireball.. it doesnt happen when there is no dash involved.. can someone test this? Maybe its just me.. This sucks because the bnb with dive kick 21 cartwheel sometimes requires a dash next to hit the b21 f2.. i think its character specific or due to positioning.. sometimes you dont need the dash..

In fact I've been using cr.4 xx Carthweel a lot to get in on people.
Have you tried stance cancelling the d4? On hit, it leaves you with frame advantage. When 2 becomes a mid again, a dash in 2,1 xx MS into stance trap will be guaranteed. Also, when a d4 xx MS hits, the opponent must crouch block a second d4 xx MS or he stays in hit stun. Of course this all depends on the distance and timing.

The big advantage for 1 1 4 is that 1 starts waaaay faster than 2 does, but the sacrifice is that the 4 in that chain uses up a little bit of the juggle potential in the combo, so the follow ups have to be weaker.

As for the 1 1 2 into cartwheel to reset, I don't believe cartwheel is an overhead. It is safe on block and builds a lot of meter though. In fact I've been using cr.4 xx Carthweel a lot to get in on people. Sonya has one of the longest reaching cr.4's in the game.
Well, the point is that 1,1,4 is great for pressure. The damage isn't great but if you score a reset, that combo can do atleast as much again and that is very good for safe pressure.

I don't know for sure if cartwheel is a mid but i think so. Either way, the most important part of adding the cartwheel is that it will almost instantly tag the opponent after the reset if he/she isn't ready for it.

lol, stance 3 is can be canceled 2 xray?
wow, good 2 know^^

@necreal
here some ONLINE combos:
:l:bp:fp:r:bp,NJ:bp,:l:bp:fp:r:bp,uppercut - safe damage
jump-in:fp,divekick,:bk~cartwheel,divekick -safe damage 4 jump ins

i use ONLY that xray combo: jump-in:fp,divekick,:bk~:x - 47% its super eazy, hitcomfimable, u can start it also with divekick, means u can land it in a match A LOT

^^

Just started with Sonya today, not looking forward to testing and trying to perfect all these combos you guys have up. I don't know if anyone has posted something like this but I found it while messing around and I like it.

[Corner X-Ray combo]

:l+:bp :fp :d:r:fk, :l+:bp :fp :d:l:fp, :bk:bk :x

If you only connect one :bk it chains together for 47% but if you hit :bk twice the first combo ends at 32% and the second kick starts another combo that ends at 32%.

So it's really a 64% combo.

Poto2222

Am I the only Sonya player who doesn't go for a :fp:fp:bp/:bk combo?
Yeah, it's fast and it's pretty useful to keep pressure. But :fp:fp:bk scales the combo badly, and kills any possibility of a effective followup. I barely use it.
:fp:fp:bp isn't useful at all IMO. A 3 hit combo that resets and gives the opponent the chance to block any attack that could come afterwards? No, thanks.
I think that :fp:fp + Special Move (specially the Cartwheel) is way more helpful. But unfortunately it doesn't give you much time for hit confirmation.

I mostly go for a :bp:fp:d:r:fk. Even though it doesn't have a good reach (missing the :fp isn't rare), it's quite fast, and if it succeeds your opponent is done.

Oh yeah, one more thing:
Thanks to Wonder_Chef's video, I'm now able to do 59% Midscreen (54% Meterless, I think) and 66% Wall combos! YES!
I'll try to record it later! :horse:

Am I the only Sonya player who doesn't go for a :fp:fp:bp/:bk combo?
Yeah, it's fast and it's pretty useful to keep pressure. But :fp:fp:bk scales the combo badly, and kills any possibility of a effective followup. I barely use it.
:fp:fp:bp isn't useful at all IMO. A 3 hit combo that resets and gives the opponent the chance to block any attack that could come afterwards? No, thanks.
I think that :fp:fp + Special Move (specially the Cartwheel) is way more helpful. But unfortunately it doesn't give you much time for hit confirmation.

I mostly go for a :bp:fp:d:r:fk. Even though it doesn't have a good reach (missing the :fp isn't rare), it's quite fast, and if it succeeds your opponent is done.

Oh yeah, one more thing:
Thanks to Wonder_Chef's video, I'm now able to do 59% Midscreen (54% Meterless, I think) and 66% Wall combos! YES!
I'll try to record it later! :horse:
cool, u record the combos in a match right? ;)

Poto2222

cool, u record the combos in a match right? ;)
Actually no, since they involve :bp:fp into Military Stance Jump Cancel.
But there's a variation of it, starting with :r:bp:bp which is doable in any fight, as Master_Chief showed us, but it just doesn't make that much damage.

Poto2222

I cant seem to dash x into dive kick...is it literally , f,f, dive kick...Im not sure how to input the xcell. Any help would help.
Wait, wait, wait. If I understood you right, you're trying to do the Military Stance Cancel and then the Dive Kick. And if you're trying to do it the way you're saying, you're doing it wrong.
In order to do the Dive Kick after the Military Stance, you must cancel it with a Jump, not with a Dash!

What I've understood from your post is that you're doing a combination like this:
:d:l:bp (Military Stance)... :r:r (Dash Cancel) :u:d+:bk (Dive Kick)

If you're doing it like this, you'll never be able to fit the Dive Kick in the same combo you were doing before the Military Stance.
You must do this:
:d:l:bp... :ur:ur (Jump Cancel) :d+:bk

But it is EXTREMELY hard, specially after :bp:fp. You must do :d:bk as soon as Sonya starts her jump animation, which is quite hard do get.

Or maybe I just got what you've said wrong and I'm just wasting my time here... xD