What's new

Tech - Sonya Blade Sonya Corner Reversal Tech

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Hey,

New Sonya player here and I just wanted to let you guys know about the tech i just discovered.

You can easily reverse wake up attempts in the corner with Sonya by ending her combos with the 2134 splat string. There are 2 requirements to getting this wake up reversal to occur:

1. you must combo the opponent into the air (ex. in covert ops, b14xxcartwheel....)

2. you must end the combo with 2134

Once you have "splatted"(?) the opponent onto the ground, wait for a split second and dash over the opponent. When you have done this, you will be standing directly over top of them.

The next step is neutral jump. The neutral jump, if timed correctly, will reverse their wake up into the corner and you can come down on them with the njp and reset them into the same situation again.

I tested this on EX elbow dash and it works reliably.

The best part about this wake up reversal is that it also works when people tech roll and then wake up, giving them no opportunity to wake up without getting reversed into the corner and eating a full combo

Here's the video, finally, the AI is set to roll just to show you that the setup reverses their wakeup no matter what they try

Let me know what you guys think about this new Sonya development

Yours,

Shenron

edit: sometimes when the tech roll they may roll out of the corner, I have found that divekick prevents this and also creates a very ambiguous setup so they may have a hard time punishing the divekick if they actually block it

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Thread in the Sonya Forums.
This clearly isnt the same thing, if you tried out my tech you would actually understand what it is. It reverses their actual wakeup, not the way you have to input it.

Also you said cartwheel originally, not arc kick. Come here for constructive criticism please, not to shoot down my finding before you even try it -_-

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
This clearly isnt the same thing, if you tried out my tech you would actually understand what it is. It reverses their actual wakeup, not the way you have to input it.

Also you said cartwheel originally, not arc kick. Come here for constructive criticism please, not to shoot down my finding before you even try it -_-
Never said anything negative about your setup, so before you start calling me out how about you think. Please.

I was simply stating my set up.

skater11

The saltiest
Testing now.

Edit: From 5-10 minutes of testing I see that if you mess up the jump you still get the NJP whiff punish. BUT you have to convert into a midscreen combo instead of benefitting from a full corner combo.(the opponent's wakeup gets reversed but your NJP somehow puts you in the corner)So you lose the damage potential for a midscreen combo that you are forced to end with leg slam because otherwise you just freed your opponent from the corner.

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I was simply stating my set up.
Or you can just end your combo in cartwheel and do "the same thing."

not the same thing
Testing now.

Edit: From 5-10 minutes of testing I see that if you mess up the jump you still get the NJP whiff punish. BUT you have to convert into a midscreen combo instead of benefitting from a full corner combo.(the opponent's wakeup gets reversed but your NJP somehow puts you in the corner)So you lose the damage potential for a midscreen combo that you are forced to end with leg slam because otherwise you just freed your opponent from the corner.
the timing for the njp is different for different combos in the corner. I do (b14xxcartwheel, ji1, 12, 12, 2134) and the higher you keep them up with the juggle the easier it is to reverse their wakups by dashing in. make sure you jump just as their getting up because if you do it too early their wakeup will not be reversed

sometimes, yes, you will time the njp wrong (too early -- i think) and the opponents wakeups will not be reversed into the corner, but the normal direction instead. I believe if they do not tech roll before they wakeup that the setup still works and they are reversed successfully into the corner. ive found neutral jump divekick to still reverse them into the corner, but the only problem with this is if it is blocked its very bad for you.

im sure there must be other ways to keep them reversed into the corner if not stuck in it. i mean leg slam back into the corner isnt bad either

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I finally uploaded the video to show you the njp scenario and dive kick, the AI is set to roll just to show you that this covers both options

I like this setup, and i see how it's different from the other mentioned setup.

BUT you have to convert into a midscreen combo instead of benefitting from a full corner combo.
I did some testing on this and found that you don't have to commit to a mid-screen combo. You can run underneath after the n.jp hits and do 21, 12,12,12... into w/e for around ~26% and keep the corner.

skater11

The saltiest
I like this setup, and i see how it's different from the other mentioned setup.

I did some testing on this and found that you don't have to commit to a mid-screen combo. You can run underneath after the n.jp hits and do 21, 12,12,12... into w/e for around ~26% and keep the corner.
Yeah I figured you could do something like that but let's be real... you're gonna have to be on point right after every NJP to see if you have to run under or not...I think it's an unnecessary risk

Yeah i agree. It would be tricky to recognize if you need to run or not haha. Just wanted to say it's possible if you are that "on point" type of player.

SLH7671

When in doubt, armor out.
Hey,

New Sonya player here and I just wanted to let you guys know about the tech i just discovered.

You can easily reverse wake up attempts in the corner with Sonya by ending her combos with the 2134 splat string. There are 2 requirements to getting this wake up reversal to occur:

1. you must combo the opponent into the air (ex. in covert ops, b14xxcartwheel....)

2. you must end the combo with 2134

Once you have "splatted"(?) the opponent onto the ground, wait for a split second and dash over the opponent. When you have done this, you will be standing directly over top of them.

The next step is neutral jump. The neutral jump, if timed correctly, will reverse their wake up into the corner and you can come down on them with the njp and reset them into the same situation again.

I tested this on EX elbow dash and it works reliably.

The best part about this wake up reversal is that it also works when people tech roll and then wake up, giving them no opportunity to wake up without getting reversed into the corner and eating a full combo

Here's the video, finally, the AI is set to roll just to show you that the setup reverses their wakeup no matter what they try

Let me know what you guys think about this new Sonya development

Yours,

Shenron

edit: sometimes when the tech roll they may roll out of the corner, I have found that divekick prevents this and also creates a very ambiguous setup so they may have a hard time punishing the divekick if they actually block it
Now riddle me this, could we possibly substitute Dive Kick to confirm a full combo or not?