What's new

Breakthrough - Sonya Blade Sonya Blade Mortal Kombat X Halloween Costume Being Released

Dark

Noob
The question we need to be asking is 1) how many Special Forces characters do they need to be able to call it a "Faction" in MKX? And 2) If they don't use Cage or Sonya in Special Forces, who else could they add besides Jax?
Pretty sure it doesn't need a certain number of characters. Guarantee none of the black dragon are coming back besides Kano. Unless they add new ones.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
It's 25yrs in the future....You place characters kids in the game and give them moves and properties from their elders... It's not that hard to realize that these desnt's are the next generation (Hence the whole X thing) of these characters....And obviously it's not gonna be a copy n paste cause they still have to make these characters unique...I don't understand whats so complicated about this....
Fair enough. I see a lot of people making up their own rules about this. I was just curious about your view point, which makes more sense than some.

Sonya is easily the lamest of the original MK's Magnificent Seven, but maybe they can actually give her a coherent design for once since her conception.

She's a tough military chick--no, wait, she's an acrobat who blows cute little kisses of doom.

She dresses modestly, like an 80s yogini--NO, WAIT, her clothes are skimpier than Mileena's.

She has magical powers--HOLD IT, actually it's all military gizmos and the body of Ronda Rousey.

She's the main female character in the series--NO...that's Kitana! Like a lot of MK characters I suspect a lot of her fanbase respects the potential of the character design rather than the reality...

...that and her massive tits:joker:

Last edited:
Pretty sure it doesn't need a certain number of characters. Guarantee none of the black dragon are coming back besides Kano. Unless they add new ones.
There are 5 factions. Black Dragon, The Brotherhood of Shadow, Lin Kuei, Special Forces, White Lotus. There is a war every week. They probably want it to be somewhat fair. There is no way they are just going to have 1 person in a faction. I find it very hard to believe there would even be just 2 people in a faction. I am guessing 3 people minimum.

In a perfect world in a 30 man roster, there would be 6 people per faction, but that might be too hard to pull off.

Dark

Noob
There are 5 factions. Black Dragon, The Brotherhood of Shadow, Lin Kuei, Special Forces, White Lotus. There is a war every week. They probably want it to be somewhat fair. There is no way they are just going to have 1 person in a faction. I find it very hard to believe there would even be just 2 people in a faction. I am guessing 3 people minimum.

In a perfect world in a 30 man roster, there would be 6 people per faction, but that might be too hard to pull off.
The characters have nothing to do with the faction. You can choose any character in any faction.
So there wont be any advantage from having more characters in one faction.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
"Batgirl?! What a waste of a slot! We already have Batman, *sob, sniffle*, how could they possibly have her be different than him?! They're EXACTLY *whine, whimper* the SAME!!!!!"
"Black Adam AND Shazaam?!?! They both have the SAME powers! What a waste..."
MKX Raiden will probably just be a clone of IGAU Black Adam and/or Shazaam..."
"Quan Chi AND Shang Tsung?!?!"
"We really don't need Sektor AND Cyrax, one robot is enough. Cyrax would probably have a "Sektor" variation anyway..."
Batgirl was still a waste, even if I ended up maining her. Her moveset was fine, but it could've been given to anyone else and it would've been better.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

I believe they stated that any character can be picked to rep any faction. It might not make story sense, but i suppose that's not what they're going for with Faction Wars. That said, why have a faction to represent if there is only one playable story-driven character from that faction. If that's the case, then the Shirai-Ryu could have been a faction (arguably more popular)? Who knows.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Honestly, MKX needs more females. Not that many beyond MK3 was awesome if we're being honest. Hipsters will say things like, "Tanya" to sound knowledgeable, but I know whats going on. If Sindel isn't in it's a bust. Lets move on.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Sonya is easily the lamest of the original MK's Magnificent Seven, but maybe they can actually give her a coherent design for once since her conception.

She's a tough military chick--no, wait, she's an acrobat who blows cute little kisses of doom.

She dresses modestly, like an 80s yogini--NO, WAIT, her clothes are skimpier than Mileena's.

She has magical powers--HOLD IT, actually it's all military gizmos and the body of Ronda Rousey.

She's the main female character in the series--NO...that's Kitana! Like a lot of MK characters I suspect a lot of her fanbase respects the potential of the character design rather than the reality...

Every one of your points is exactly what makes Sonya awesome. The fact that you think that a militaristic, thong-wearing acrobatic yoga instructor with magical kisses and Rousey's body should NOT be in the game is exactly why...

The characters have nothing to do with the faction. You can choose any character in any faction.
I believe they stated that any character can be picked to rep any faction. It might not make story sense, but i suppose that's not what they're going for with Faction Wars.
Very weird. I did not know that. Ok, I don't get faction wars at all now. So I can play Cassie and just say I want it to go towards The Black Dragon? Won't most people just choose whatever faction is already winning so they just win every time?

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Very weird. I did not know that. Ok, I don't get faction wars at all now. So I can play Cassie and just say I want it to go towards The Black Dragon? Won't most people just choose whatever faction is already winning so they just win every time?
You play in teams of five players (belonging to one faction) against another team of five (belonging to another faction). At the end of the week, all the winners from all the games are totaled and ranked, and an overall champion Faction is declared. That's what I got from the trailer, anyway. Could be wrong.

Dark

Noob
You play in teams of five players (belonging to one faction) against another team of five (belonging to another faction). At the end of the week, all the winners from all the games are totaled and ranked, and an overall champion Faction is declared. That's what I got from the trailer, anyway. Could be wrong.
I believe that's just one online mode. You gain faction points from everything you do in the game, whether single player or multiplayer.

As for why the most popular faction wouldn't just always win.. I don't know.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
And you can play with Scorpion for the Lin Kuei faction!!, isn't it great?!!

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Gee how shocking...the no.1 female protagonist of the series is in the major new release. I was shocked enough that scorpion and sub zero made the cut. What's next, pigs flying? :rolleyes:

Bi-on-iC

I'm innocent, I mean..not guilty.
Well After Batgirl, I'm not worried over the "waste of slot" thing. And I would totally love if Sonya's in. she was my only high tier main in MK9.
And I'm so down for a grappler variation!!

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp

Could you give me a bit of your salt, please?

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
People complaining before she's even confirmed, if indeed she is actually in this game.

Have faith in NRS to pull this off, y'all owe them that.
I don't get it either...
Also the whole it's suppose to be new people and her daughters is there thing... I mean the story is 25 years.. It in itself is a transition from old to new... There is no way a lot of these characters will make the next game... This is the passing the torch game so to speak...so that in the next game the new characters are familiar and losing older ones won't hurt as bad...

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Don't forget her broke d4. Or her regular cartwheel only being -3, which might as well read +3, since no one wanted to touch a button anyways for fear of ex cartwheel follow up.
You don't even have to think when you play you just do stuff. It is great!

RiBBz approved

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
"Batgirl?! What a waste of a slot! We already have Batman, *sob, sniffle*, how could they possibly have her be different than him?! They're EXACTLY *whine, whimper* the SAME!!!!!"
To be honest, BG does feel quite superfluous despite not being anybody's copy gameplay-wise. NRS could at least give her crunch to some other character, that at least has different theme / comes from different original arc.
As of topic itself, Cassie didn't borrow too much from Sonya tbh. It's like what, 1.5 moves? Problem some people have with Sonya lies elsewhere IMO.

I don't get why people think that adding Sonya would be a waste of slot because Cassie and Sonya aren't that similar. Cassie looks more like Johnny Cage than Sonya. She's like the military version of him. I'd be very pissed if NRS would bring characters that died in MK9 and not bring back Sonya or Johnny who were actually alive. I can't even imagine the Special Forces faction without Sonya.
Frametrap machine with retreating special b3, fast projectile and options to get airguns / mixup game / setups? :p
That said, I can agree with the second part to an extent.

We do remember, but don't you think it's weird to have a faction without making sure it's kind of both plot-relevant and represented in gameplay?