What's new

Breakthrough - Sonya Blade Sonya Blade Mortal Kombat X Halloween Costume Being Released

Elder God

Power!
I read Blade and my thoughts dancin in my head, Blade for DC Comics, Wesley Snipes movie would be a fabulous guess character for MKX.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
sooooo...some of you are saying Sonya would be a waste of a slot because Cassie Cage is in? How would that be a waste of a slot? I'm 99.9% sure those two wouldn't share the same move set lol. Is it because they're related? For all we know, family is going to play a huge role in story mode, since the game covers a long period of time.

Why do you think the devs are calling it Mortal Kombat "ecks?" Instead of saying ten? Maybe it has something to do with generations? Shit...the speculation/theory threads are getting to me...halp!

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
If Sonya is really in then that is the biggest waste of a fucking spot -_-... Nothing against her but come on we got Cassie....Get Sonya tf up outta here....The whole point of the descendants is to introduce a new character to replace the former....She is a hybrid of Johnny and Sonya. What sense does it make to include Sonya now...
Can we have a little conversation about this? I'm curious as to why you believe the whole point of descendants is to introduce a new character to replace a older one. I've have yet to hear a dev say that is the case. Why can't two generations exist? What characters do you feel warrant being in over Sonya?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I don't believe in wasted slots so long as the characters aren't clones of each other, and that isn't the case here.

That said Sonya was never interesting to me and I probably won't play her, but NRS has an amazing way of making characters I didn't really pay mind to previously(like Kano or Quan Chi) look fucking awesome and fun to play.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Can we have a little conversation about this? I'm curious as to why you believe the whole point of descendants is to introduce a new character to replace a older one. I've have yet to hear a dev say that is the case. Why can't two generations exist? What characters do you feel warrant being in over Sonya?
It's 25yrs in the future....You place characters kids in the game and give them moves and properties from their elders... It's not that hard to realize that these desnt's are the next generation (Hence the whole X thing) of these characters....And obviously it's not gonna be a copy n paste cause they still have to make these characters unique...I don't understand whats so complicated about this....

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
"Batgirl?! What a waste of a slot! We already have Batman, *sob, sniffle*, how could they possibly have her be different than him?! They're EXACTLY *whine, whimper* the SAME!!!!!"
"Black Adam AND Shazaam?!?! They both have the SAME powers! What a waste..."
MKX Raiden will probably just be a clone of IGAU Black Adam and/or Shazaam..."
"Quan Chi AND Shang Tsung?!?!"
"We really don't need Sektor AND Cyrax, one robot is enough. Cyrax would probably have a "Sektor" variation anyway..."

- All direct quotes culled from various TYM users.

GG's TYM. Never change.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
If Cassie was the daughter of Johnny Cage and some Hollywood Starlet would people still feel the same about Sonya being in? I mean, from everything we've seen, Cassie has from Sonya: 2 normals, a reverse Kartwheel that acts differently than Sonya, Sonya's MK9 air throw, and her MS grab. Out of all her moves that's what she's got from Sonya and that's enough for Sonya to be a "waste of a slot"?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If Cassie was the daughter of Johnny Cage and some Hollywood Starlet would people still feel the same about Sonya being in? I mean, from everything we've seen, Cassie has from Sonya: 2 normals, a reverse Kartwheel that acts differently than Sonya, Sonya's MK9 air throw, and her MS grab. Out of all her moves that's what she's got from Sonya and that's enough for Sonya to be a "waste of a slot"?
I'm not fully on the "waste of a slot" side, but I do think better choices could have been made.

It's not just a few shared moves, but also Cassie was introduced as the face of a "new beginning", just for reality to be most of the cast not being or going to be new. Then of all stories they gave her did she really have to be a young blonde special forces girl too???

I think the combination of all things considered leads to the "why did they add Sonya" response.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I'd rather have Johnny, Jax, and Sonya all back then any PS2 era character.
Not sold on Jax's daughter, but we only have the comic to go by, and she hasn't exactly done much.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
"why did they add Sonya".
1. She is the first lady of MK
2. She featured heavily in MK9 story mode, interacting with many characters - both alive and now "Dead" - as a comrade, potential love interest, and bitter enemy.
3. She did NOT die in MK9.
4. Given her background, with access to all military training, equipment and sci-fi style gadgets (energy rings), she is almost unlimited in terms of potential moveset.
5. Seeing an older, wiser and toughened Sonya would really help with the evolution of the series.
6. Watching the older generation (who have been in MK tournaments) interact with the younger generation, especially blood relatives, opens up so much story/drama potential.
7. Her banter with Johnny was a highlight of the MK9 storyline, and seeing how their relationship evolved enough to produce Cassie could be very interesting.
8. Tits.
9. Many casual fans know the name Sonya, and more females of note in the cast are never a bad thing (given many on TYM bitch about the lack of female fighters).
10. Because @RM GamerBlake .

I could go on, but the case has clearly been made. I do not beat dead horses (anymore).

- Swindle™

Last edited:

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Jax being in makes sense...

Sonya... when you already have Cassie... does not.
i personally agree that if the next generation characters like cassie takeda jacqui etc are in the parents shouldnt be but eh maybe we are getting more than 24 launch characters/more than 30 total and they have the room to spare? one can only hope

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
1. She is the first lady of MK
2. She featured heavily in MK9 story mode, interacting with many characters - both alive and now "Dead" - as a comrade, potential love interest, and bitter enemy.
3. She did NOT die in MK9.
4. Given her background, with access to all military training, equipment and sci-fi style gadgets (energy rings), she is almost unlimited in terms of potential moveset.
5. Seeing an older, wiser and toughened Sonya would really help with the evolution of the series.
6. Watching the older generation (who have been in MK tournaments) interact with the younger generation, especially blood relatives, opens up so much story/drama potential.
7. Her banter with Johnny was a highlight of the MK9 storyline, and seeing how their relationship evolved enough to produce Cassie could be very interesting.
8. Tits.
9. Many casual fans know the name Sonya, and another females of note in the cast is never a bad thing (given many on TYM bitch about the lack of female fighters).
10. Because @RM GamerBlake .

I could go on, but the case has clearly been made. I do not beat dead horses (anymore).

- Swindle™
1- And still less popular than Kitana.
2- Agree.
3- Agree.
4- All that "potential" I'd guess went to Cassie. I'd highly doubt Sonya's moveset will be all that different. Cassie is where the differences went.
5- Disagree immensely. Seeing that would only remind people who aren't fans why they wish she would've been replaced as originally thought.
6- Almost the same as #2.
7- Agree. But not worth a full game inclusion depending on who is left out.
8- They seem to be moving away from that in MKX, as they should be moving away from Sonya.
9- Agree.
10- Who? :DOGE

Dunno man. She's a borderline level addition to me. I don't have a problem with her getting in, as long as it isn't at the expense of someone who should definitely be in the game. I rather Sonya than all those non Kenshi MK4 and after garbage characters, but not more than Shang Tsung, Liu Kang type of characters.

The question we need to be asking is 1) how many Special Forces characters do they need to be able to call it a "Faction" in MKX? And 2) If they don't use Cage or Sonya in Special Forces, who else could they add besides Jax?

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I don't get why people think that adding Sonya would be a waste of slot because Cassie and Sonya aren't that similar. Cassie looks more like Johnny Cage than Sonya. She's like the military version of him. I'd be very pissed if NRS would bring characters that died in MK9 and not bring back Sonya or Johnny who were actually alive. I can't even imagine the Special Forces faction without Sonya.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
The question we need to be asking is 1) how many Special Forces characters do they need to be able to call it a "Faction" in MKX? And 2) If they don't use Cage or Sonya in Special Forces, who else could they add besides Jax?
I suppose the potentials are Jax, Sonya, Johnny, Kenshi and Jacqui, with the remote chance of Takeda (being Kenshi's son, and no competing Shirai-Ryu faction). That's quite a big pool to choose from.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Being that it's a 25 year span, I think by then it'll be Sonya, Jax, Cassie, and Jacqui. That's 4 playable SF Chars right there.