What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Sonya Blade Sonya Blade Matchup Thread

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Any idea what to do against Hish Qu Ten Predator? I feel completely lost against him with Demolition Sonya (grenades too slow/out-zoned) and Covert Ops Sonya (out-zoned). Haven't yet tried Special Forces Sonya, but I think that might be the best option for this match-up with the drone's homing projectile. Any thoughts?

Not to sure about the hish qu ten variation as I've mostly faced hunter. When a hunter tries to setup his trap game in the corner, demo Sonya can bake and wake and pretty much shut down everything except when they trap and block.

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
Yup got taken out by hish whatever it's called predator, it was a close match went to three rounds but the minute he got into trouble he started spamming the laser blaster, the low and the straight one didn't bother me that much but the air laser blasts crippled my jump in attacks.

I'm gonna have to fight some more to see if there are any openings there, and I hate predators throw.

Any idea what to do against Hish Qu Ten Predator? I feel completely lost against him with Demolition Sonya (grenades too slow/out-zoned) and Covert Ops Sonya (out-zoned). Haven't yet tried Special Forces Sonya, but I think that might be the best option for this match-up with the drone's homing projectile. Any thoughts?
Not to sure about the hish qu ten variation as I've mostly faced hunter. When a hunter tries to setup his trap game in the corner, demo Sonya can bake and wake and pretty much shut down everything except when they trap and block.
Haven't gotten around to facing Hish Qu Ten yet either, I'm in the same boat as @nleaguewitsatan with facing the Hunter variation (and totally demoralizing them). If I'm lucky enough to face a few though, I'll definitely post my findings.

On another note, I've been absolutely loving Demo lately. Finally got the chance to break out of Covert Ops to give it a shot and the damage potential is pretty insane. I'll start posting some notes on some of the character matchups in regards to Demo.

Haven't gotten around to facing Hish Qu Ten yet either, I'm in the same boat as @nleaguewitsatan with facing the Hunter variation (and totally demoralizing them). If I'm lucky enough to face a few though, I'll definitely post my findings.

On another note, I've been absolutely loving Demo lately. Finally got the chance to break out of Covert Ops to give it a shot and the damage potential is pretty insane. I'll start posting some notes on some of the character matchups in regards to Demo.
I made the switch to demo about a month ago and haven't played anyone else or any other variation of Sonya. I never feel like she is out of options in any match up. If you happened to get caught with your yoga pants down and have no nades, you almost always have meter for those nasty ex drones. Hell sometimes I don't reload just to get some shenanigans going with the 112 ex reload setup!

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
One main problem I have with the Hish Qu Ten/Demolition variation is... When I do a 3-grenade combo finisher with F4-dd1 to safe reload, it just pushes them back into a comfortable zoning position. And Hish Qu Ten's zoning is insane. I don't want to push him far away. Is most of this match-up walking forward and blocking til he's cornered?

That's why I'm considering SF Sonya might be a better variation against Hish Qu Ten. I generally love all of Sonya's variations, but this particular match-up is making my head hurt.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I made the switch to demo about a month ago and haven't played anyone else or any other variation of Sonya. I never feel like she is out of options in any match up. If you happened to get caught with your yoga pants down and have no nades, you almost always have meter for those nasty ex drones. Hell sometimes I don't reload just to get some shenanigans going with the 112 ex reload setup!
Glad to hear people are integrating 112 ex-dd1 into their gameplay! I really feel like this is huge for Demolition Sonya.

One main problem I have with the Hish Qu Ten/Demolition variation is... When I do a 3-grenade combo finisher with F4-dd1 to safe reload, it just pushes them back into a comfortable zoning position. And Hish Qu Ten's zoning is insane. I don't want to push him far away. Is most of this match-up walking forward and blocking til he's cornered?

That's why I'm considering SF Sonya might be a better variation against Hish Qu Ten. I generally love all of Sonya's variations, but this particular match-up is making my head hurt.
OK so I have a bit more experience with hish qu ten now. Ending in f4 reload is not the way to play this match up. Ending with 2134 and using that meter you were holding on to for pressure doesnt let him play his game. You can sometimes get away with saving 1 grenade and still ending in f4 except instead of reload you toss a stun grenade. How far you choose to throw is the guess you need to make. If you throw close and they end up doing the ex scimitar from full screen you just got yourself a reload combo.

I was having a real mess of a time with Kitana (Royal Storm) last night. Haven't really played a lot of them before her buff, but it seems like her d1 disrupted any of my starter strings on the ground with range and speed. The better of the three Kitanas that I faced pretty much had the zoning game on lockdown as well. He wasn't scrubbing it either, when I got in he actually had legitimate combos (something close to 50% corner stuff as well). Lag wasn't helping, but I don't want to blame it on the connection because everyone else can attest to the servers being lackluster, so has anyone had success with this matchup?

I was having a real mess of a time with Kitana (Royal Storm) last night. Haven't really played a lot of them before her buff, but it seems like her d1 disrupted any of my starter strings on the ground with range and speed. The better of the three Kitanas that I faced pretty much had the zoning game on lockdown as well. He wasn't scrubbing it either, when I got in he actually had legitimate combos (something close to 50% corner stuff as well). Lag wasn't helping, but I don't want to blame it on the connection because everyone else can attest to the servers being lackluster, so has anyone had success with this matchup?
Kitana is tough to fight in covert ops. The only perk of this variation vs kitana is the parry. Military stance means nothing if you can't get in. Sonya wants to control the air space against kitana and it's just not possible, unless your doing delayed projectiles catching her on the way down from her fans, then moving in(only works on non instant air fans) I pretty much only play demo these days and the match up seems to be in demos favor. If she is zoning with fans you have your stun grenades to catch her on the way down. I can go into more detail, if your interested in the demo match up.

Kitana is tough to fight in covert ops. The only perk of this variation vs kitana is the parry. Military stance means nothing if you can't get in. Sonya wants to control the air space against kitana and it's just not possible, unless your doing delayed projectiles catching her on the way down from her fans, then moving in(only works on non instant air fans) I pretty much only play demo these days and the match up seems to be in demos favor. If she is zoning with fans you have your stun grenades to catch her on the way down. I can go into more detail, if your interested in the demo match up.
All up to you, I can add whatever you delve into on the OP if you're interested and credit you obviously :D.

I think you're definitely right with Covert Ops being pretty useless against Kitana, while Demo and Special Forces probably shine the most. I'm still fairly new to Demo and have literally no experience with SF, but let me mess around with Demo's timing online (still need to input the commands faster due to lag input). I'll let you guys know my results when I get them. Thanks!

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
All up to you, I can add whatever you delve into on the OP if you're interested and credit you obviously :D.

I think you're definitely right with Covert Ops being pretty useless against Kitana, while Demo and Special Forces probably shine the most. I'm still fairly new to Demo and have literally no experience with SF, but let me mess around with Demo's timing online (still need to input the commands faster due to lag input). I'll let you guys know my results when I get them. Thanks!
This is a hard match up because you want to get in and wreck but good Kitanas will do everything to keep you out.
Rule of thumb against Kitana:
duck fans (avoid blocking them because it gives her extra meter and gives you chip damage)
Avoid truly unnecessary jumps or random dive kicks if you can avoid it. 1 fan juggle = 30+%; however, i do random neutral jumps from 3/4 to full screen away to make the kitana think that i'm going to jump occasionally and make her jump in the air to throw fans. when that happens, you can move in and cover the ground a bit more
push her towards the corner (she might do that already to herself with jump back fans and such)
watch your spacing and be very patient. With that said, watch for run up grabs or a square boost (Royal Storm) when she conditions you to crawl
conserve meter
she'll most likely have a combo breaker with all the meter she builds from fan tosses so you're going to have to get in again her after she combo breaks. this is your big opportunity since she won't have stamina to back dash or run.
do not trade projectiles with her, but if she jumps you can shoot a projectile and hope to catch her on the way down. run in after this but respect her wake up because 1 square boost or throat slice can make you start all over from full screen again.
watch out for her mid-air float to njp. if she does it raw you have a few options here:
a) if you're not confident, block it but you end up being on the defensive and she can jump over you and switch sides afterwards.
b) if you practice this enough times, do a neutral 3. the timing is strict but you can anti air her from that. can lead to grenade juggles afterwards
c) backdash/run behind her on reaction if you are quick enough
d) ex bf4
if she jumps in attack and then do the float to njp, then you can armor through it or back dash. depending on spacing, if you block the very tip of her hand from the jump in and does the float, you can actually do a regular arc kick and hit her out of it. the arc kick shrinks sonya's hit box and avoids the kitana float > njp.
Watch out with her newly buffed rising fan move since it can be 2-in-1'd now. I think you can actually low profile this with d4. don't quote me on this but I've seen it happen.
Don't be afraid to blow a bar on ex arc kick when she jumps and throws a fan at a certain distance. You can armor through the fan and it's pretty good corner carry.

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
I havent come across the newly buffed Kitana online but I was having problems with the previous iteration before, her half page of buffs have really paid off her usage in the game has substantially increased if the online MK statistics is anything to judge.

Death

Noob
Ferra/Torr. How the hell do you guys fight this MU? I'm really struggling with it. She seems to outrange/outpoke everything I do. The NJP cant really be whiff punished and controls so much spacing. She seems to have good AA for jumping and cross ups. Its one of the only MUs I'm struggling with at this point. Do you guys just lame the MU out?

Using CO var btw. Any tips?

Reactions: jmt
Ferra/Torr. How the hell do you guys fight this MU? I'm really struggling with it. She seems to outrange/outpoke everything I do. The NJP cant really be whiff punished and controls so much spacing. She seems to have good AA for jumping and cross ups. Its one of the only MUs I'm struggling with at this point. Do you guys just lame the MU out?

Using CO var btw. Any tips?
I've only had a few matches in ranked against F/T so I can't totally weigh in on the MU, but I stayed on the ground more than usual to avoid getting hit by their njp (assuming you're going against Vicious/Ruthless obviously). Against Lackey you can get away with dive kicking/cross-ups way more. You can try mixing it up with a few dive kicks, but I wouldn't overdo it. Blocking high for Boss Toss on wakeup is pretty standard as well for their zoning game.

My guess is your b332 string should be your go-to conditioning string against F/T (if you can get close), or d4 pokes. If you can condition him to block low then switch it to b14 and continue on with your bnb MS combo. If he blocks the b332 and you go into MS, my advice would be to hit MS3 for the low or MS1 for the command grab, just to be safe. I know that sounds basic in terms of playing CO, but it's always a pretty solid gameplan. Zoning with bf2 is always decent as well, especially since the EX version is plus on block now.

If you're having trouble with rushdown tactics, you could probably switch it up to Demo for the Wake and Bake to relieve pressure. If he blocks your strings, you could always end it with the EX reload to throw some mind tricks into the mix, seems to be a very powerful tool in Demo. My personal fave is conditioning my opponent with 112 while having grenades, then when I'm empty I'll do 112 xx EX reload to mix it up and usually break their block. Works on a lot of characters, can't see that being an issue against F/T either. If he zones fullscreen however, throwing far grenades never hurt anyone.

Hopefully that helped a bit :cool:.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Might be more later, but TL:DR; for Ferra/Torr:

Don't zone him. His is better. you need to do better than a 3 to 1 trade with projectiles.

His NJP is the only thing to watch out for. I've been most successful getting in by running and then doing an air to air ji1. Combo is ~16% but do ji1 (A2A), run 12, run 21u4. After getting this a few times he'll stop NJP'ing. If he doesn't just take it with this.

Go in the lab and have ferra/tor just jump NJP over and over and see where the hole to run in is.

DO NOT jump in from full jump in distance on him. He has too many easy answers for this. Cross-up game is strong, but jump in game should be watched.

He cannot deal with rush down and will start throwing out his armor charge which is super unsafe and gets him only like 10%. Either parry it or just block and combo him after.

Mish

Noob
How do I deal with hish-qu-ten corner pressure and the low-mid-overhead spear poke that all Predator variations have? I can't find any way to counterattack against these as the block advantage is so ridiculous. (covert ops)

Dedlock

Noob
How do I deal with hish-qu-ten corner pressure and the low-mid-overhead spear poke that all Predator variations have? I can't find any way to counterattack against these as the block advantage is so ridiculous. (covert ops)
I've found Ex parrying or regular parrying to be useful against him in close up pressure situations, also he has just one wake up that is commonly used but its trash, cause it can be parried easily or block punished. now where it gets really tricky is when he spams the discs and lasers together, thats when you;ve got to play him like a jackie and try moving in slowly before jumping in exclusively with Sonya's Jump in FP.

Most good/cheap predator players spam one of his low hits and jump in kick (forgot which one) they are the only moves that give him advantageous frames and they also have good range.

with covert ops you're going to have to be careful rushing in also predator has range so backdash and placement is important. also from what I hear he is broken so until a patch comes we'll just have to play it careful.