What's new

Sonix Fox's Thoughts on MK11

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
What was really wrong with the old breakers is what I wanna know? Remember in MKX a breaker reset neutral and took both players stamina? Why cant we just have that back? Take my defense bars and the opponents offence bars and put us at neutral. Offense recovers faster than defense so it still favors the player that made the right choice and got a combo. Or just plain ass breakers once a match for all bars.

Rizz091

Noob
Can't agree with Sonic on chip kills, comebacks lose all their hype without them. Not to mention it just feels like such a lazy band-aid solution. Getting out played should not all of a sudden reward you and you can now ignore part of your opponent's moveset. I get that there's unwinnable chip situations and it sucks sometimes, but it's worth keeping imo

Fully on board with no chip kill. Watching people get chipped to death by Starfire left a bad taste in my mouth.

Flawless Block should lead to counter but not launch

Breakways shouldn't allow you full counter combos or make it so if you bait it you get punished harder.

I don't agree with his Fatal Blow changes but it's otherwise a good list.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
My take:

Regarding FB, sounds like not many here don't know of our have played Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike. If you have, you will know that you cannot just willy nilly attack someone with the threat of a parry blowing you up. The threat of a parry only becomes real when the following conditions are met:

1. Your opponent practiced the parry timing a lot, and I mean a lot.
  2. You are so predictable that it's almost guaranteed that you will attack with something that can be easily parried.
  3. You have not figured out that you must bait the parry with a move that counters it such as a throw etc.
Once these conditions have been addressed and you start playing mind games to bait your opponent, The FB counter becomes less of a threat and more circumstantial.

I say let it rock as it is. In 3rd Strike, you could lose a third of your life from a well timed parry. On the flip side your opponent who tries to parry you takes a huge risk of mis-timing the parry and eating a full combo as well.

The same will be true of the flawless block. Just like 3rd Strike, those highly skilled with the FB mechanic will be in the minority. Pro players like Sonic Fox should be able to overcome the initial threat of being countered by a flawless block due to careless play very quickly.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
No thats BS. Scorpion can do fully grounded combos if he chooses. Instead of confirming into ex teleport just start with ex spear to leave them on the ground. He can do 1 bar combos without any chance to breakaway. If he wants to do a 2 bar combo he can do a string jnto spear, string into teleport, then d2 for a 1 chance break combo and still recover first if they do break. Everyone is just doing the same day1 beta combo and that happens to be vulnerable to break away. Adapt
Personally I hope they change it to make the one comboing not able to full combo punish in some way. I don't think it's fair that the opponent who just lost in neutral and made all the wrong reads gets to pay to get ahead with bars. That's beyond obnoxious imo. Stopping damage is strong enough. Regardless if Sonic likes the change or not that change would benefit those who play right not give the ones playing poorly more tools to tip the scales.

I don't know about the community but I want my combos to juggle them up not stay on ground. That's not Mortal Kombat if we go with your I and leave breakaway the way it is my opponent can punish me for doing the right thing if I juggle them with swagg and force me to keep them on ground..
No thanks

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Personally I hope they change it to make the one comboing neutral. I don't think it's fair that the opponent who just lost in neutral and made all the wrong reads gets to pay to get ahead with bars. That's beyond obnoxious imo. Stopping damage is strong enough. Regardless if Sonic likes the change or not that change would benefit those who play right not give the ones playing poorly more tools to tip the scales.

I don't know about the community but I want my combos to juggle them up not stay on ground. That's not Mortal Kombat if we go with your I and leave breakaway the way it is my opponent can punish me for doing the right thing if I juggle them with swagg and force me to keep them on ground..
No thanks
There is no such things as "changing it to make it neutral" because the timing for who is at advantage or not is dependent on the move the attacker is doing when the other player breaks away. The only reason breakaway is punishing anyone is because they are doing their move with the absolute most recovery like spear. Scorpion only has to do a different combo ensure he can deal damage and still be at advantage if they do break away. Once training mode is out people will find out low recovery ways to end combos that will keep them safe or at advantage against break aways. Then the big comboes are saved for when you bait and whiff punish a wake up so now they dont have the meter to break. Not only does this make for good mind games across matches and rounds but will also make the game better to watch because it promotes combo variety.

And this whole "i won neutral so i deserve everything" is bs. Neutral is not everything. The game is neutral based this time and i love it but that does not mean resource management and mind games cannot be rewarded too. If someone wants to spend all of their resources to break away and then potentially not be able to wake up or use interactables for 30 seconds and hold a bunch if mix then let them, you should have considered it as known its an option they have. There is plenty of risks to break aways if they get baited. Its a new game with a new meta and new mind games

LawAbidingCitizen

What was really wrong with the old breakers is what I wanna know? Remember in MKX a breaker reset neutral and took both players stamina? Why cant we just have that back? Take my defense bars and the opponents offence bars and put us at neutral. Offense recovers faster than defense so it still favors the player that made the right choice and got a combo. Or just plain ass breakers once a match for all bars.
Only the one who did breakaway should lose the bars. Otherwise I like your post

LawAbidingCitizen

There is no such things as "changing it to make it neutral"
Except there is, they can do that you know. It's how it worked in mkx even though there where very high recovery moves on oponents end.

I'll give you an example, Cyrax from MKX had a startup on far bomb more than 107f and recovery longer than a second. If it was an intended feature we would have seen this happen in MKX. On top if that it's proof reset to neutral can be implamented.

They simply forgot to add a buffer that's attached to opponent which changes thier recovery based on oponents.

The game is neutral based this time and i love it but that does not mean resource management and mind games cannot be rewarded too.
The game I've been watching has resource management and absolutely rewards it as well as mind games which is what's it's based on like you stated earlier.

I start combo opponent breaks combo and combos me, no that's not fair and is rewarding those two bars a little to much maybe take thier bars for match.

Its a new game with a new meta and new mind games
The thing is the game doesn't need to be this way, it's a flaw that many players agree is dumb. I sure as hell know it's not intended.
From what I see, I think boon knows to change it.

I vote for breakaway system to be adjusted.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I don't even know why the break away is in the game.
It feels like they finally decided to get rid of the garbage ass breaker but then were insecure about their decision and added the flipout from I2 at the last minute and changed it slightly.

The is no point to it anymore, combos are short and damaging.
You don't need a band aid fix to make the game work anymore.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Jesus dude. “Express himself”. He literally promotes beastiality, has one of the foulest mouths I have ever seen on a stream and carries himself horribly while shoving his sexuality down everyone’s throat. He also stood infront of thousands and called half the country bigots.
Can you explain what any of this, or the rest of his personal life, would have to do with his critique of a fighting game?

And while you’re at that.. Beastiality, really? That’s a massive reach. Come on man.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
He has been accused of posting highly inappropriate content on his Twitter account, which I personally could not careless about. I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy and fanaticism. Every individual should be held to the same standards. However, Sonic Fox is not because he wins, which appeals to sheep like you and many others who lack critical thinking skills. Certainly, the sponsors would have abandoned him a long time ago for posting sexually explicit content.
You constantly speak down your nose at people and it's not cool. You can get your point across without being a condescending ass.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
@Wetdoba Youve swayed me. Maybe training mode will help us all see a bigger picture when that comes.
There is no such things as "changing it to make it neutral" because the timing for who is at advantage or not is dependent on the move the attacker is doing when the other player breaks away. The only reason breakaway is punishing anyone is because they are doing their move with the absolute most recovery like spear. Scorpion only has to do a different combo ensure he can deal damage and still be at advantage if they do break away. Once training mode is out people will find out low recovery ways to end combos that will keep them safe or at advantage against break aways. Then the big comboes are saved for when you bait and whiff punish a wake up so now they dont have the meter to break. Not only does this make for good mind games across matches and rounds but will also make the game better to watch because it promotes combo variety.

And this whole "i won neutral so i deserve everything" is bs. Neutral is not everything. The game is neutral based this time and i love it but that does not mean resource management and mind games cannot be rewarded too. If someone wants to spend all of their resources to break away and then potentially not be able to wake up or use interactables for 30 seconds and hold a bunch if mix then let them, you should have considered it as known its an option they have. There is plenty of risks to break aways if they get baited. Its a new game with a new meta and new mind games
How can I bait out a wakeup from someone who has no bars to wake up?

SINGH E

Noob
I don't want MK breakers to return, keep the escape just tweak it a little so it's not so easy for the initial aggressor to eat a huge combo. Breakers, in my opinion, don't make the game look aesthetically pleasing either. I think what they are doing is a step in the right direction they just need to tweak it.

I wish I could get my hands on the stress test Beta being from the UK. I found Ketchup and Mustard managed to get their hands on a code. Once I found out how they did it, it was already too late. Oh well, I have pre-ordered the game so will get access to the open Beta at the end of the month. Looking forward to it.

haketh

Noob
Jesus dude. “Express himself”. He literally promotes beastiality, has one of the foulest mouths I have ever seen on a stream and carries himself horribly while shoving his sexuality down everyone’s throat. He also stood infront of thousands and called half the country bigots.

I think in a lot of ways he is an example of what not to act like. Concerning the game the only thing I agree with are supers being unsafe and perfect block u3 launcher option select has to go.

Also, there have been many great threads on this site that where players are professionally conducting themselves. Why are they not getting praise?
You mad

Wetdoba

All too easy...
@Wetdoba Youve swayed me. Maybe training mode will help us all see a bigger picture when that comes.

How can I bait out a wakeup from someone who has no bars to wake up?
Im saying that if you do bait a wake up at any point and full combo ounish since that cost the other player a bar of defensive meter than you can do you big 2 bar combo into spear without fearing a breakaway

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Im saying that if you do bait a wake up at any point and full combo ounish since that cost the other player a bar of defensive meter than you can do you big 2 bar combo into spear without fearing a breakaway
I see what youre saying now, yeah, this is true. What do you think about he flawless block mechanic?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Haven’t played yet. How exactly do you flawless block at the gap? Do you have to let go of block and then quickly block again at the exact moment of the gap?
Yes, exactly. I still dont get it everytime, but most of the time I end up just getting regular block, sometimes I eat a hit. Ive just been jumping into matches and blocking the whole time to practice.

I don't even know why the break away is in the game.
It feels like they finally decided to get rid of the garbage ass breaker but then were insecure about their decision and added the flipout from I2 at the last minute and changed it slightly.

The is no point to it anymore, combos are short and damaging.
You don't need a band aid fix to make the game work anymore.

Exactly get rid of those STUPID BREAKERS! They are stupid and have always been.

Let's get back to the Mortal Kombat where if you got hit you have to hold the punish.

I should be rewarded for winning in neutral. All the other defensive options like Flawless Block and wake up rolls and wake up attacks I think are good but I hate that breaker mechanic and always have.

If I hit you or if the opponent hits me then they should have to take the damage.