What's new

SonicFox Uses D'vorah - Analyzing Tech

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
i just find anoying to do her optimal bnb her f1 is so fucking slow its anoying
It is stupid slow but it has range to reach at the very start of the match, which is what some characters lack. Up close, i just use d1, 12 to start my combos. Well...at least it worked in towers lol. Gonna try it online today

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
You can really tell sonic was nervous in cb (not only in the finals), so many combo drops and input errors. In casual games with no pressure, he mops everybody with any character.
It's casuals, you think Scar wasn't nervous at CB?

JTC

ABILITY TO FREEZE
@JTC @JBeezYBabY
Let's be real for a second, try to forget we're on TYM. Just for a moment.
Sonic making Vora look good has nothing to do with how good or bad the character is.
It's the same dude that can double flawless you to a 13-0 with Geras and won't even break a sweat.

He needs to play the worst character in the game to have some fun.

As far as anyone reasonable is concerned right now, D'Vorah is as bad as Sheeva was in MK9.
Yes we know Dvorah has problems. But my comment was directed towards people who blames the character as a crutch for their losses.

It is stupid slow but it has range to reach at the very start of the match, which is what some characters lack. Up close, i just use d1, 12 to start my combos. Well...at least it worked in towers lol. Gonna try it online today
i mean after after her launcher db1 amplify you need to dash s1 then f13 the f1 whiff a lot for me and even more offline cause f1 is so slow.

Lun

proud TERF!
My main problem with D'vorah is that she's just so slow on everything. I like to pressure, but you just can't pressure with D'vorah.

Lun

proud TERF!
Sonya has #1 pressure in the game. Try her.
I'll get to that...... eventually. So far I'm playing Raiden, Shao Kahn, Cetrion, and of course, my dear D'vorah.

The problem is, D'vorah is the coolest character in the game to me, and I just feel kinda frustrated by how weak she is compared to everyone else.

Lun

proud TERF!
Has SonicFox mentioned why he picked D'vorah?

Does he like her?

Did he pick her precisely because she's weak and he wanted to challenge himself?

....Does he want the devs to nerf her more since SonicFox played her? XD

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

Does he like her?

Did he pick her precisely because she's weak and he wanted to challenge himself?

don't think so ... I think he is just testing a new character, labing things as usual, to discover ..... Sonic seems to enjoy to explore a lot of gameplay from any character to see what fits best for his own competitive playstyle :)

Second Saint

A man with too many names.

Does he like her?

Before the game came out, Sonic legitimately intended to main D'vorah. There is nothing that man loves more than rushdown trap characters with good neutral, so she was practically tailor made for him before the day 1 patch.

Reactions: Lun

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Tier list ain't shit when it comes to outplaying your opponent.
She is probably 4-6 or 3-7 vs cast but just cuz a character has bad odds of winning doesn't mean the best player can't win with them.
Just like how sonic beat Forever King with Shao after he practicing for just 5 min.

The tools sonics uses to win is number of hit guess, mix (50/50), throw/staggers to open up opponents. The top tiers all have these tools plus a whole lot more. When we compare D'Vorah or Kotal to top tiers like Geras/Error/Sonya the difference is monumental.
D'Vorah has issues up close and no fast moves, Kotal is shit far away and close up do to frames and hitbox.

Even though its a bad matchup for Sonics it doesn't really matter since scar and rye will respect him in many situations instead of forcing the character in its weaknesses where it loses.
I don't think those players are putting D'Vorah where it hurts and that's why he is getting away with so much shit. Those bug setups go away on hit. At least I seen that on honeybees stream and that's why sonics is jumping right after setting it. He doesn't want normals to hit him. Projectiles won't be able to get them to go away.
She is also only getting 23℅ off combo so scar and rye made several mistakes in the neutral otherwise sonics wouldn't win.

Bottom line, D'Vorah, Shao Kahn and Kotal Kahn need buffs. They struggle in so many areas. Rye even said the only reason D'Vorah was winning was because it was Fox behind her.

Yeah sonic is just really good with fundamentals, understanding a character, and using their tools in the most efficient/effective way. He didnt do anything too crazy besides making reads and getting good conversions from stray hits

Even myself im starting to think yeah she could use a buff on a faster button somewhere even if its not her mid. But she may just need a slight bit of damage like bnb with meter doing an even 30-32 with df2 ender and 25-27 on setup ender that way she doesnt have to rely on opening someone 10-15 times when others can just kill you in 4-5 touches

Sonic got away with alot of d4 x strep/puddle stuff that could be interrupted

Full combo is a bit of a stretch. The damage scaling is massive, you're getting like what, 22% for two bars? But is it free, so yeah i'll take it.
Yeah ppl REALLY need to stop complaining about the grab bug tech. The whole thing is counterable and cost all resources to get and then she's only doing 20+ damage not 30/40. I wouldn't even mind if they kept the scaling from strep hits as long as he bnbs did more

LawAbidingCitizen

Yeah sonic is just really good with fundamentals, understanding a character, and using their tools in the most efficient/effective way. He didnt do anything too crazy besides making reads and getting good conversions from stray hits

Even myself im starting to think yeah she could use a buff on a faster button somewhere even if its not her mid. But she may just need a slight bit of damage like bnb with meter doing an even 30-32 with df2 ender and 25-27 on setup ender that way she doesnt have to rely on opening someone 10-15 times when others can just kill you in 4-5 touches

Sonic got away with alot of d4 x strep/puddle stuff that could be interrupted
I Agree.
She needs to be able to combo from 1 and 2 and F22 should be safe on block. F224 is punishable.
Her setups are all counter able and bug goes away on hit and block. She only gets 25% for a bar only from a 15f high and a 20F mid.
Her mix F4/B3 are slow af 17f low and 21f overhead meaning she only gets mix after she opens them up and her throw puts them full screen. Easily one of the worst characters. Not to mention her pokes are -6 Ob or worse.

Definitely needs buffs and her 7f high to combo and I say her DF3 bug should stay on block.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
i just find anoying to do her optimal bnb her f1 is so fucking slow its anoying
This. At least watching Sonic Fox drop it against Silverrye that many times made me feel better about myself though lol.

Also the fact that even f13 won’t combo into her shit in Arachnophobia and ONLY s4 or f22 will is completely wack.

I love trap characters and would consider manning her even if she stayed trash tier if her execution wasn’t also so damn annoying on top of how bad she is.

LawAbidingCitizen

This. At least watching Sonic Fox drop it against Silverrye that many times made me feel better about myself though lol.

Also the fact that even f13 won’t combo into her shit in Arachnophobia and ONLY s4 or f22 will is completely wack.

I love trap characters and would consider manning her even if she stayed trash tier if her execution wasn’t also so damn annoying on top of how bad she is.
You and me both. I love setup characters. Xfingers for Cyrax but yeah she has to many problems on the fundamental level. SonicFox can make anything look good and most players respect him out of fear. He was getting away with murder in those sets.

I even made customs and they seem lackluster no matter what you put on her.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think a big thing about the D'Vorah matchup in the pro scene is that no one has any experience against her and no one is currently labbing defensive options against her. So gimmicks are totally working for anyone with the execution to use her and an understanding of how she is supposed to be played.