What's new

Sonic Fox's Official Post Patch Tier List

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Also, in my book, an S tier character is a character that either goes even or wins against the whole cast. I still feel Jax loses to Cetrion, Skarlet and Kabal. (My mind could be changed on Skarlet and Kabal, I might just be ass...but I can't see an argument for Jax going even with Cetrion)
Personally, as of 1900 games in with Jax, I think his MU chart looks something like:

3-7:
Cetrion
Kabal

4-6:
Skarlet
Sonya
Jade
Cassie
Erron Black
Geras
Liu Kang
Shang Tsung

5-5:
Baraka
Dvorah
Frost
Jacqui
Jax
Kung Lao
Scorpion
Shao Kahn
Sub Zero
Nightwolf

6-4:
Johnny Cage
Kano
Kitana
Kollector
Kotal Kahn
Noob Saibot
Raiden

So 17 even or favorable matchups and 10 unfavorable matchups. But in his unfavorable ones there are frequently used/potential high tier characters which is why you don't see a lot of Jax.

Of course this is all IMO and I'm a scrub. But I still don't think Jax is anywhere near S tier.

E

Eldriken

Personally, as of 1900 games in with Jax, I think his MU chart looks something like:

3-7:
Cetrion
Kabal

4-6:
Skarlet
Sonya
Jade
Cassie
Erron Black
Geras
Liu Kang
Shang Tsung

5-5:
Baraka
Dvorah
Frost
Jacqui
Jax
Kung Lao
Scorpion
Shao Kahn
Sub Zero
Nightwolf

6-4:
Johnny Cage
Kano
Kitana
Kollector
Kotal Kahn
Noob Saibot
Raiden

So 17 even or favorable matchups and 10 unfavorable matchups. But in his unfavorable ones there are frequently used/potential high tier characters which is why you don't see a lot of Jax.

Of course this is all IMO and I'm a scrub. But I still don't think Jax is anywhere near S tier.
I can agree that Kabal is unfavorable for Jax, but 7-3? I just don't see it.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^

3-7:
Cetrion
Kabal

4-6:
Skarlet
Sonya
Jade
Cassie
Erron Black
Geras
Liu Kang
Shang Tsung

5-5:
Baraka
Dvorah
Frost
Jacqui
Jax
Kung Lao
Scorpion
Shao Kahn
Sub Zero
Nightwolf

6-4:
Johnny Cage
Kano
Kitana
Kollector
Kotal Kahn
Noob Saibot
Raiden

I don't think Jax 6-4 Kollector. Yes, it's tough in the corner for him but that would be the only situation where it's tough. I personally like the Jax matchup.

Jax is not top 3 at ALL. Too many bad MUs

hes mad good, but easily countered
Exactly. I main Jax hunker down and he’s not S tier. Gets fucked hard by zoning and can have a bad time dealing with characters like Jade and Kabal that utilize spacing and whiff punishes

Regardless of what you think - I think it's a very good sign for the game that all this is debatable within the community.

The fact that next to no one seems to agree on this stuff.. makes me think the game is in a pretty decent place balance wise (yes it can always be better).

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I can agree that Kabal is unfavorable for Jax, but 7-3? I just don't see it.
Play it as Jax. lol

Kabal's buttons out range all of jax's. Kabal always wins the zoning war. Jax can't even really trade unless he's heated up, but good luck with that since it's never your turn. He doesn't even win the Fatal Blow contest which he normally does, cause Kabal has one that freezes you in place just like Jax's.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't think Jax 6-4 Kollector. Yes, it's tough in the corner for him but that would be the only situation where it's tough. I personally like the Jax matchup.
You could very well be right, which only strengthens my point. Jax isn't an S tier character. Too many wonky matchups.

Dvorah, Frost, Kollector and of course NW cause he's new, I don't really have enough experience against to know for sure. But I highly doubt he completely bodies any of them so hard that he's suddenly S tier. lol

@STB Sgt Reed I agree with your Jax match-up chart 100%. A good Kabal that isn't taking needless risks and forces Jax to keep approaching just locks him down. Very few moments in this game have left me feeling completely and utterly out of options like trying to compete with Kabals movement, range, general safety, and (when I am unheated) zoning.

Last edited:

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Would you have a link? I'm curious. I haven't used Skarlet in quite a while.
No link sorry. I watched it when he was streaming on twitch while getting ready for work. I believe it was right around when he did the FT3 with Sweet Neptune and TitaniumTigerz.

this to me make a lot of sense besides sub been so low and scorpion in the same tier with kano and skarlet way too high. but sonic is a genius

edited , i know some people can react to sub mix but i cant i guess aging does that.

Wigy

There it is...
At a high level, being able to flawless block her glow kick is huge. It changes her gameplay drastically, she can't really confirm into the glow kick to be safe on block. I think that just means she's more honest and has to use spacing more, and she has amazing spacing tools. At most she's top 6-8.
I mean I think it's jumping the gun a little.

Cetrions up boulder plays very similarly with a pokable/flawless blockable gap and gets abused endlessly.

I think she will still play very similarly but just doesn't get out of the corner completely free.

Go read my posts from the very begining, long before the patch. I always said that this character have all the tools. The more people playing him and discover his strength and get good with him, the more powerful he become.
If i`m not wrong Ninja at the begining was saying that hes Dragon Parry is very unsafe and he barely used him, now he is using it constantly and doing insane combos with that tool.
The game is still young, a lot of characters is probably a sleeping giant, they just need the right player to discover them and start doing sh** with them.
Exactly like it was with Liu Kang in MK10.
That’s not the point. The point is he wasn’t really nerfed & didn’t receive any game changing buffs. If he wasn’t broken before, it’s no way he is now.

I still feel Kabal is better than him & has better MU’s.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Sonic always has spicy tier lists and this is no exception.

I agree with a lot of the people in this thread, Kang was underrated in the first place and is an easy choice for top 5 now imo.

I'm just glad Frost is part of the game now.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I mean I think it's jumping the gun a little.

Cetrions up boulder plays very similarly with a pokable/flawless blockable gap and gets abused endlessly.

I think she will still play very similarly but just doesn't get out of the corner completely free.
Sure, if people don't know how to deal with it, then whatever, just mix their shit. If they do, it'll change your gameplan. I don't think anyone can F/B it 100% of the time and in the KL that's not gonna happen, but my comment was for high-level play specifically.