What's new

Sonic Fox's criticism of Mortal Kombat 11

haketh

Noob
Its not a smart design. Thats what i was trying to explain to THTB. There is no other fg out there that punishes the attacker and rewards the attacked during a combo. Thats ridiculous and i really dont understand why certain people in the community are still trying to defend that, amongst other things.
Guilty Gear & BlazBlue

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
What are y’all doing that you’re constantly getting punished by Breakaway? Even as a Cetrion player the number of times I’ve been punished by a well timed breakaway is minor.
One example is Raiden. His V1 launcher can be broken out of immediately upon startup, which gives the opponent time to get up before Raiden even begins recovering from the move. It creates situations where Raiden is hesitant to even hit-confirm if the opponent has meter at the threat of being full-combo punished for simply catching the opponent in the first place. Against a competent opponent, they can simply react to storm cell and then break away with proper timing for a punish.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's funny how people constantly talk about "No fighting game has X" but have actually never taken the time to investigate that claim.

I see this constantly and it always gives me a little chuckle :p Almost inevitably when someone says "X should never happen in a fighting game" it's already in multiple other well-known fighting games.

Like hey, folks, fg mechanics are broader than you think. Maybe it's time to open our minds a bit instead of the tired "a fighting game can only be one way" mentality.

Injustice 2, Killer Instinct
The attacked is in no way rewarded in KI. Yes you can combo break, but you don't get to turn that into damage/advantage. They even patched it when it turned out there were rare exceptions.

Getting hit in KI is always bad, the only thing it does is let you play a minigame, which lets it be less bad, at the risk of getting locked out/cb whihc makes it MUCH worse.

"Like hey, folks, fg mechanics are broader than you think. Maybe it's time to open our minds a bit instead of the tired "a fighting game can only be one way" mentality. "

"I see this constantly and it always gives me a little chuckle :p Almost inevitably when someone says "X should never happen in a fighting game" it's already in multiple other well-known fighting games. "

Oh come on, what is this? "Hey guys there's some rare cases where you can burst and punish someone in gg so it's ok". Yeah...that's what GG is known for.

I already gave a list of games that I personally know of that have combo escape mechanics, and barely any of them allow for the defender to get damage off of it, and those that did patched it out.

Or is the standard for good mechanic now MK vs DC.

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
It's funny how people constantly talk about "No fighting game has X" but have actually never taken the time to investigate that claim.

I see this constantly and it always gives me a little chuckle :p Almost inevitably when someone says "X should never happen in a fighting game" it's already in multiple other well-known fighting games.

Like hey, folks, fg mechanics are broader than you think. Maybe it's time to open our minds a bit instead of the tired "a fighting game can only be one way" mentality.
I usually dont reply to these kinds of posts anymore but since you want an answer here it is (cause i know that was going for me you have done it before, but i didnt bother to answer then).

First of all, its not on multiple games, its on two games which are pretty much the same game style (GG and BB).

And before you answer, yeah i know that BB and GG are competitive af.

You dont get punished with a full combo which can take away your almost half of your life, like in MK11. And i am saying again from a BURST.

There are ways to get past the burst mechanic in those games if you perform burst safe combos. And even then you can bait burst and punish or continue your pressure afterwards irrc.

Majority of the cast in MK11 do not have unbreakable combos which deal a good amount of damage.

Also it would be wise not to compare MK with the likes of GG and BB cause the latter are far more aggressive that MK11. That mechanic belongs there simply because of that reason.

In MK11, you can get punished by even using strings during combos if opponent breaks away (not even talking about specials as well cause thats taken for granted).

The meter management mechanics and the fatal blow mechanic, make it so that combos are pretty much irrelevant to some extend, simply because if you turtle your opponent you regen your meter or if you are low on life and have fb.

Name me another COMPETITIVE fighting game which gives meter and super moves for free.

And before you say why did i bring the meter management and fatal blow mechanic up, its because these two are the other part of the problem. These mechanics are the root of the same issue.

I really like MK11 in general and i continue to play the game and support my scene but that doesnt change the fact that it has issues that should be addressed. Even the best and most recognized player of our community says it (and i really think thats he is not the only one).

My suggestions would be:

Make FB dissapear on whiff or block (OR increase the cd if it is blocked or whiffed to 20 seconds, since i dont feel they will change that so late in the game's lifespan).

Meter should regenerate slower (since they wont change the way its earned thats for sure now).

Make break away put both opponents on neutral (pretty much like the breaker mechanic i know).

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
You mean the wager mechanic? Unless they changed something in KI i dont recall it having a similar game mechanic.
Well I don't think this games rewards the defender with breakaway, I think it's still in the attackers favor. But there's other games that have counterplay in their combos. It was an underwhelming mechanic but air escapes from INJ2 could lead to punishes. It's much different but KI had combo breakers/counter breakers.

E

Eldriken

As the attacker, I'd much rather the person break because all their defensive options are now kaput outside of wakeup buttons, jumping, blocking or delayed wakeup. Nothing invincible. I no longer have to worry about them rolling or waking up when knocked down. It's basically bully central provided them breaking away didn't buttfuck me to begin with.

I still don't like Breakaways.