What's new

Sonic Fox Playing SFV?

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
I could've never understand what is the point of making a competition between fighting games.

Every single fighting game franchise is unique in its own way, with its own unique mechanics, characters and story. Every single one of them takes skill to play well. Yes, some of them are easier to play than others, but that doesn't mean you don't need to play well in order to win - you have to.

It should be good actually that there are so many fighting games, much more people can find their place to enjoy in this genre. We are called Fighting Game Community, yet we hate fighting games that are not appealing to our personal preferences. That's stupid. If you don't like Street Fighter and Tekken, but love hella out of Mortal Kombat, that doesn't mean first two games are complete garbage, it's just means that they are not of your preferences, but from rational point of view they are great and excellent fighting games - you have to at least respect that, not hate it. You can dislike something, but respect it at the same time. Like real martial artists do after a fight when two represent different schools, they will respect each others styles and can actually gain and combine the experience to create a new fighting style. Fighting Game Community is suppose to be like a Shaolin temple, a place and heart of kung-fu, but of fighting games for us where people can enjoy and play whatever style they like.

You can't force people to like Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter over Tekken. They shouldn't be. People can actually like all of them (like I do, I play all fighting games). And instead of shitting on each other people of different fighting games should support each other no matter the differences in the games they play - they play same genre after all. I can learn and like my Chang Quan more over your Nan Quan, but I will respect your wushu style and might actually try learn it to see that maybe it is not so bad after all and I can have even more fun with learning it alongside with my favorite style.

SonicFox playing more fighting games shouldn't be a surprise. If you want to make fighting games your full time job, you might want to participate in more games, because it is more chances of winning lots pf prize money or finding sponsors or something. Though money shouldn't be the only reason to play fighting games. Playing fighting games gathers people together, you can make new friends, new connections and have some fun time.

Life is too short to waste it on hate and silly arguing competition. Play and like your favorite fighting games and respect those that are not. Just have fun and be a decent person, have a warm welcome for newcomers.

And just because a good player lost to another good player doesn't mean that the first one is now a bad player, it means that now he can make adjusements and become stronger. It is a lost that motivates the most to become better than your previous self. Daigo Umehara won't stop being legend or bad player if he loses SFV, just like SonicFox's accomplishment won't be nullified if he loses at MKX. They will just be motivated to become stronger. No one is invincible.

We can make love, not war. Potential of every person is to be a force for good. Love fighting games in general, people. It would be boring if there was just one fighting game franchise, don't you think? =)

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I could've never understand what is the point of making a competition between fighting games.

Every single fighting game franchise is unique in its own way, with its own unique mechanics, characters and story. Every single one of them takes skill to play well. Yes, some of them are easier to play than others, but that doesn't mean you don't need to play well in order to win - you have to.

It should be good actually that there are so many fighting games, much more people can find their place to enjoy in this genre. We are called Fighting Game Community, yet we hate fighting games that are not appealing to our personal preferences. That's stupid. If you don't like Street Fighter and Tekken, but love hella out of Mortal Kombat, that doesn't mean first two games are complete garbage, it's just means that they are not of your preferences, but from rational point of view they are great and excellent fighting games - you have to at least respect that, not hate it. You can dislike something, but respect it at the same time. Like real martial artists do after a fight when two represent different schools, they will respect each others styles and can actually gain and combine the experience to create a new fighting style. Fighting Game Community is suppose to be like a Shaolin temple, a place and heart of kung-fu, but of fighting games for us where people can enjoy and play whatever style they like.

You can't force people to like Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter over Tekken. They shouldn't be. People can actually like all of them (like I do, I play all fighting games). And instead of shitting on each other people of different fighting games should support each other no matter the differences in the games they play - they play same genre after all. I can learn and like my Chang Quan more over your Nan Quan, but I will respect your wushu style and might actually try learn it to see that maybe it is not so bad after all and I can have even more fun with learning it alongside with my favorite style.

SonicFox playing more fighting games shouldn't be a surprise. If you want to make fighting games your full time job, you might want to participate in more games, because it is more chances of winning lots pf prize money or finding sponsors or something. Though money shouldn't be the only reason to play fighting games. Playing fighting games gathers people together, you can make new friends, new connections and have some fun time.

Life is too short to waste it on hate and silly arguing competition. Play and like your favorite fighting games and respect those that are not. Just have fun and be a decent person, have a warm welcome for newcomers.

And just because a good player lost to another good player doesn't mean that the first one is now a bad player, it means that now he can make adjusements and become stronger. It is a lost that motivates the most to become better than your previous self. Daigo Umehara won't stop being legend or bad player if he loses SFV, just like SonicFox's accomplishment won't be nullified if he loses at MKX. They will just be motivated to become stronger. No one is invincible.

We can make love, not war. Potential of every person is to be a force for good. Love fighting games in general, people. It would be boring if there was just one fighting game franchise, don't you think? =)

wow.. I think I got a cavity in my tooth by reading this post.. what a load of horse hockey.

People are animalistic and naturally form groups or tribes or clicks or w/e you prefer to call it. There will ALWAYS be cross gamer community conflict and bragging and fighting as that is how humans behave. Youi may as well make a post saying.. why can we just all not eat ever. or why can we not all just never sleep. It is just as ridiculous.

Cross gamer community hate is one of the reasons that FGC players that concur many games get so much respect as it IS a big frickn deal and it IS worth of note.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
People are animalistic and naturally form groups or tribes or clicks or w/e you prefer to call it. There will ALWAYS be cross gamer community conflict and bragging and fighting as that is how humans behave.
Who said that people have to act like that though? Everything we are begins and ends with outselves only, a person doesn't have to be a conflict/bragging type in order to be a part of community. And if a single person can be, why everyone can't be?

Cross gamer community hate is one of the reasons that FGC players that concur many games get so much respect as it IS a big frickn deal and it IS worth of note.
I thought the reason why players play multiple fighting games at a good level is because they like what they play. Never thought of hate between representatives of different games communities as a motivation to play them. That's just ridiculous in my eyes. But being great at many fighting games at the same time is indeed worth of a note and a big deal, no arguing here.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
He doesn't have to come first, to prove them wrong

It doesn't matter what he does, haters will hate regardless.

I'm just keeping it real though, there's a fundamental skill set needed to play Street fighter at the highest level. Sonicfox may have it, but there are players who have mastered this skill set for 10-20+ years.

Not saying he CANT it, but it'll be tough and I don't see him doing it unless he focuses 100% on SFV.

Jynks

Who said that people have to act like that though? Everything we are begins and ends with outselves only, a person doesn't have to be a conflict/bragging type in order to be a part of community. And if a single person can be, why everyone can't be?
yes it dose "have" top be like that. You can not fight human nature.. it has nothing to do with logic or growth or anything like that.. it is part of the evolution of our species over 1000s of years. There was a great social experiment a while back about this... it was called communism and put forth by a philosopher called Marx. Yes in theory everyone should help each other and there should be no conflict or people in power over others. Yeah these kind of misguided ideas have been in circulation form the days of the Ancient Greeks.

The problem is that it is all fucking bullshit.

Reality dosn't work like that. At best people that think this kind of stuff are simply self delusional, at worst they are cynically manipulating the delusional people for their own gains.

I thought the reason why players play multiple fighting games at a good level is because they like what they play. Never thought of hate between representatives of different games communities as a motivation to play them. That's just ridiculous in my eyes. But being great at many fighting games at the same time is indeed worth of a note and a big deal, no arguing here.
That is not what I said. I'll try again and this time in a more simple way.

Earning respect in different groups is a big deal, precisely because of the separation of allegiances between those groups. There is natural friction and one one-upmanship between gaming communities, or any community.. look at DC vs Marvel as an example, or how about just different sports teams in the same sport. Still, if you can earn respect across all those groups the very fact that there are these barriers make it a impressive feet.

vicious1024

Does it matter?

I'm just keeping it real though, there's a fundamental skill set needed to play Street fighter at the highest level. Sonicfox may have it, but there are players who have mastered this skill set for 10-20+ years.

Not saying he CANT it, but it'll be tough and I don't see him doing it unless he focuses 100% on SFV.
Not only this, but people need to consider the ridiculously large pool of international competition Street Fighter has.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
That is not what I said. I'll try again and this time in a more simple way.

Earning respect in different groups is a big deal, precisely because of the separation of allegiances between those groups. There is natural friction and one one-upmanship between gaming communities, or any community.. look at DC vs Marvel as an example, or how about just different sports teams in the same sport. Still, if you can earn respect across all those groups the very fact that there are these barriers make it a impressive feet.
So you are talking about something like Ryu who is considered the greatest fighter in SF lore and other characters are either like him or respect him, even though they happen to be of different factions/countries/fighting styles. A local hero of some sort.

yes it dose "have" top be like that. You can not fight human nature.. it has nothing to do with logic or growth or anything like that.. it is part of the evolution of our species over 1000s of years. There was a great social experiment a while back about this... it was called communism and put forth by a philosopher called Marx. Yes in theory everyone should help each other and there should be no conflict or people in power over others. Yeah these kind of misguided ideas have been in circulation form the days of the Ancient Greeks.

The problem is that it is all fucking bullshit.

Reality dosn't work like that. At best people that think this kind of stuff are simply self delusional, at worst they are cynically manipulating the delusional people for their own gains.
Well, we still came from caves to a better form of community and somehow made out way to current day's technology. It might be slow progress, but maybe a world peace at some point of history won't be a myth. At least I like to believe that.

Jynks

Well, we still came from caves to a better form of community and somehow made out way to current day's technology. It might be slow progress, but maybe a world peace at some point of history won't be a myth. At least I like to believe that.
As I said that sentiment is self-delusion at best and it is this kind of wishful thinking that impedes actual constructive growth. Better to look at how the world really works and think of real solutions than sit around a drum circle smoking weed wondering why nothing improves.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
FANG is generally considered to be really bad. I mean people are throwing out phrases like LOW TIER but the fact is the game is like only a week old or w/e.. so no one really knows. The "rumour" going around is that sonic picked him as a "fuck you" to the shoryuken trolls. The idea was that if he won "it would only be cause he picks top tier like a scrub". I know for a fact people are already saying that he has done so well on day 1 as winter brawl has a low turn out for top street fighter players. .

I think Dhalsim is the best or at least one of them form what I have seen / played. His cross up setups are insane. Also Karan has a bug that leads to a 68% punish but I am sure this will be taken out. The other one I think looks great is Chun-LI. Still as Sonic shows it is the player that counts. Zangief is also supposed to be really bad but Snake Eyez still owns everyone he faces with a bunch of grand final wins already in the bag.
I'm maining Chun and shes definitely dope, and shes perfect for my preferred playstyle. I'm second-maining / fun playing R Mika however, and she feels to me like the strongest in the game, a grappler with some sweet tools to get in, and I think shes just going to get stronger and stronger, people keep finding ridiculous set-ups with her V-Trigger, there is a holy grail worth of untapped in that, some of the stuff sound so far is just super co-incidental stumbled upon in the opening days, really gonna keep my eye on her.

Fo sho. I fully agree with all this, I don't think he's coming first in shit. However I can see him punching a lot of top tier U.S. players out of the park, and I've got my fingers crossed that he does

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
it will immediately force people to admit the legitimacy of MK as a Fighter if a dominant player from NRS can kick a bunch of people's ass in Street Fighter, or look undebatably stupid if they still refuse to admit it, there's not really much room to say there's no competition. Unfortunately I think many of them will still choose the latter. Here I took a little time to compose a list of quotes taken from the Street Fighter community from a period of early to late last year, concerning SonicFox playing/doing well in SFV. Certainly not comprehensive this is just some choice quotes from like 2 quite small threads.

^^ many times in multiple forms

In response to the question: What is Sonic Fox doing that makes him so unbeatable?

This seems to be the Capcom community's general opinion of SonicFox and MKX, so I'd LOVE to see where this goes lol.
Wow lol, I didnt realize how cancerous the Capcom community is. I mean these quotes are "Twitch Chat" level of dumbness lol.

then i remember when J. Wong was playing MKX back when it was released and everyone here in the NRS community was pretty happy about that....

smh

vicious1024

Does it matter?
That too lol, Street fighter is a literal WORLD WIDE thing. He's a prodigy alright, but if there's any time to prove it. It's now.

How do you feel @SonicFox5000 ???
Fox is a great fighting game player. That being said, I absolutely hate the way he plays and how much he gets away with.

Not to sound like a douche, but nothing he does (other than win) impresses me. I don't think it has to do with his or his opponent's performances, however, moreso than it is the games he gravitates towards.

I'm really interested to see how he'll perform in SFV, but I'm not too optimistic about how he'll fair against the international players.

Fox is a great fighting game player. That being said, I absolutely hate the way he plays and how much he gets away with.

Not to sound like a douche, but nothing he does (other than win) impresses me. I don't think it has to do with his or his opponent's performances, however, moreso than it is the games he gravitates towards.

I'm really interested to see how he'll perform in SFV, but I'm not too optimistic about how he'll fair against the international players.
So are you saying everyone else are crap because they let sonic get away with murders? Id like to see you teach everyone to stop let sonic do that then. Such a pretentious post

vicious1024

Does it matter?
So are you saying everyone else are crap because they let sonic get away with murders? Id like to see you teach everyone to stop let sonic do that then. Such a pretentious post
No, not at all.

I think there are so many incredible MK players that just lose to Fox because they're afraid of him.

Players who make incredible reads, know all their punishes and showcase new tech. But, when they play Fox, they drop combos, go for sub-optimal punishes and generally make poor decisions. It makes makes matches vs him less interesting.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"

You can be a fan of his play and still agree he doesn't always do the smartest shit. Sometimes the dumb shit works too. Jeeze

I call sonicfox winning every tournament he enters, doesn't mean imma suck his dick dude.

Such a pretentious post.

I'm maining Chun and shes definitely dope
instant air lightning legs baby!!!

You can be a fan of his play and still agree he doesn't always do the smartest shit. Sometimes the dumb shit works too. Jeeze
It is the "dumb shit" that makes the great players. People that are slaves to frame data and theory craft are just predictable and never make it. I think it is the ability to take those risks at unexpected times that tip[s the scales form a good player to a great one, this is one of the things that maeks sonic with out doubt the greatest player in NRS. Anyone that says he isn't just is plain wrong. Not a dick suck... a reality.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
It's not dumb shit if it works. He doesn't just randomly throw this shit out, he makes reads and predicts his opponents head, a lot of you can't see past shit like "wow unsafe opener at a random time, of course it just HAPPENS work for SonicFox" or "connects a random punishable on armor when any sane opponent would be blocking lolol random dumb shit". Sonic is a level above almost everyone who plays this game, he isn't just smacking random buttons and his opponents don't all coincidentally forget how to play against him. Sonic is incredibly good at playing moves ahead and having incredible focus on what is happening in his field, and just for example that unsafe armor in the neutral when you are plus, isn't really unsafe when you KNOW sure your opponent is going to go for a poke under your High pressure to take back his plus frames.

People don't understand greatness so they are quick to call it dumb, or luck. And that's why he's where he is.

I'm a part of both, I think it's silliness both ways, we all play Fighters, elitism in GAMING always makes me cringe in any form
you and me both, i dont frequent TYM that much so i never noticed, i wonder if the same type feud/hate exists between other communities as well, like the smash, skull girls, KI and guilty grear communities.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Well, not to discredit Fox, but plenty of Capcom players did well at MK9, Injustice, and MKX tournaments when the games first came out. Those players then fell of the map when the rest of the scene got better at the game.
You're all acting as if the SF community is getting shut up because an MK player is doing well at the first ever tournament. I know we're all eager to talk shit to the Capcom community, but save the bragging rights for when the scene has actually gotten time with SFV. If Fox does well then, feel free to go nuts. Right now it's just up in the air. People who will never be heard of again can do well at tournaments, such is the nature of a new fighting game.

Well, not to discredit Fox, but plenty of Capcom players did well at MK9, Injustice, and MKX tournaments when the games first came out. Those players then fell of the map when the rest of the scene got better at the game.
You're all acting as if the SF community is getting shut up because an MK player is doing well at the first ever tournament. I know we're all eager to talk shit to the Capcom community, but save the bragging rights for when the scene has actually gotten time with SFV. If Fox does well then, feel free to go nuts. Right now it's just up in the air. People who will never be heard of again can do well at tournaments, such is the nature of a new fighting game.
didnt read, the hype train continues choo choo