What's new

Question - Grandmaster some changes the we'd like to see

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
this is why I don't post here... look, cryo and unbreakable got stuff... I just feel gm shoulda gotten something.
Again everything you asked for if given would make him a dumb character. Doesn't matter if you think GM should get something. Especially doesn't matter if the other 2 variations got something. It's not like GM can't perform. The only thing holding it back are some bugs and people still play well with character. Giving buffs like you mentioned is just a bad idea.

Unless you don't mind doing barely 10% per combo.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
In no order:
  1. Cassie
  2. Kung Lao
  3. Tanya
  4. Quan Chi
  5. Liu Kang
  6. Kitana
  7. Raiden
  8. DVorah
  9. Erron Black
  10. Shinnok
  11. Predator
  12. Takeda
  13. Sonya
  14. Reptile
Not to mention Kung Jin/Jax/Scorp, but regardless thats half the cast up there as is... for him to be "high mid tier" he has to be above multiple characters there, theres absolutely no way that GM is an upper mid tier character.
I know its difficult to predict, but assuming he got all his currently known bugs squashed (Lets assume also that B33xIceBall not hitting 'errbody is a bug) , how do you think that list would look? I'm curious where people think he would be with no 'buffs', just bug fixes.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I know its difficult to predict, but assuming he got all his currently known bugs squashed (Lets assume also that B33xIceBall not hitting 'errbody is a bug) , how do you think that list would look? I'm curious where people think he would be with no 'buffs', just bug fixes.
Like I said, in no order. The grades people are asking for are quality of life upgrades not really big buffs, I doubt he'd even move a position - my personal opinion. Fix those and give him some actual buffs like EX-Clone not going away on block (hell thats more just reverting less the less important pert of a prior nerf and actually giving Ex Clone some purpose), or giving EX-Clone some decent armour, and we can talk about him maybe being in the top half of the cast. No chance he is better than those characters I mentioned without some real changes. I know some characters struggle vs him, but for every matchup he stomps, there is two equally brutal losing ones. Just my opinion.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Like I said, in no order. The grades people are asking for are quality of life upgrades not really big buffs, I doubt he'd even move a position - my personal opinion. Fix those and give him some actual buffs like EX-Clone not going away on block (hell thats more just reverting less the less important pert of a prior nerf and actually giving Ex Clone some purpose), or giving EX-Clone some decent armour, and we can talk about him maybe being in the top half of the cast. No chance he is better than those characters I mentioned without some real changes. I know some characters struggle vs him, but for every matchup he stomps, there is two equally brutal losing ones. Just my opinion.
Fair enough, thats exactly what I was wondering actually, if the fixes would bump him up notches or just make him more stable where he already is.

I'm fine with EX Clone not going away on block.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Hahaha, you're special huh? Reading not something you're super strong at?/I've been advocating fixes and possible buffs for Sub since the beginning of this thread. I find him to be one of the most dynamic and interesting characters in the game. I just disagree with some of what's been proposed here and there.

As to the SG MU, I'm not butthurt in the least. I have Wargod or Tremor for GM Subs, because instead of thinking a character is OP because it happens to go crazy hard vs my main, I adapted by.picking my alts/secondary to help cover any glaring holes my.main left me with. II alsoexplored the SG MU as thoroughly as I could at my skill level, to equip myself to deal with it as best as I could. At no point did I whine about Sub needing to be nerfed or.my character buffed.

So, if its at all humanly possible for you, pull your head out of.your ass and look around. You might realize that cock-pocket you call a mouth is directing derision at the wrong person.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
In no order:
  1. Cassie
  2. Kung Lao
  3. Tanya
  4. Quan Chi
  5. Liu Kang
  6. Kitana
  7. Raiden
  8. DVorah
  9. Erron Black
  10. Shinnok
  11. Predator
  12. Takeda
  13. Sonya
  14. Reptile
Not to mention Kung Jin/Jax/Scorp, but regardless thats half the cast up there as is... for him to be "high mid tier" he has to be above multiple characters there, theres absolutely no way that GM is an upper mid tier character.
Don't agree with Quan, Reptile, Kitana, Raiden, Erron, Takeda, and Sonya. I've played all these characters with Sub and generally don't have a very hard time.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
another sub zero needs buffs thread meanwhile there's literally only been one jason needs buffs thread
Yeah, but no one here is really for these buffs, with the exception of strictly fixes. The REO Jason buffs thread was both written and received well.

As for Cryo, I feel like his saving grace is the fact that b33 and 12 combo in hammer for a good ~20% HKD.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Don't agree with Quan, Reptile, Kitana, Raiden, Erron, Takeda, and Sonya. I've played all these characters with Sub and generally don't have a very hard time.
Ok, but you have to realise you are in the very small minority of people by thinking Sub is higher on any tier list than Quan Chi.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
He's probably better than Reptile. No, this isn't a downplay, because I still think Reptile is pretty bullshit in all honesty.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
He's probably better than Reptile. No, this isn't a downplay, because I still think Reptile is pretty bullshit in all honesty.
It's pretty close. The ex acid puddle setups make his corner game kind of incredible, and the double slide enders put him close to 50%. That coupled with his mid screen damage (~30%), and all the proximity DOT, destroying my dreams of flawless victories... His klaw bounce is a great reversal/ anti air, he has the fastest advancing armor move in the game, crazy mobility on knock down, good pressure. Sub has his dirt too, but I t's a really blurry line between them as to who's better.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
In no order:
  1. Cassie
  2. Kung Lao
  3. Tanya
  4. Quan Chi
  5. Liu Kang
  6. Kitana
  7. Raiden
  8. DVorah
  9. Erron Black
  10. Shinnok
  11. Predator
  12. Takeda
  13. Sonya
  14. Reptile
Sub is likely better than reptile and especially kitana. I don't see how he is worse than sonya or raiden, and he is probably close to erron black. Takeda also has to be close. The only ones that truly are unquestionably better in more ways than one are Quan, lao, dvorah, cassie, and tanya. Shinnok and predator arnt as good as they're made out to be imo.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
You talk about buffing Subby and the discussion immediately boils down to either:

SUB ZERO IS FINE/JUST NEEDS BUG FIXES/DAMN FEMALE HITBOXES/CANCEL CLONE ON HIT...

...and we all forget that Unbreakable is probably the only variation that needs buffs. Three small changes and Suby is then a complete character. Cryo needs zero buffs. GM needs zero buffs (maybe some slight proximity adjustments). That's it. We should focus on the real problem here.

Universal Character Adjustments Needed:

Reduced Scaling on Ice Ball
- This is essentially a damage buff, and an avenue to buff Unbreakable (which essentially depends on the universal midscreen conversion for meterless damage). This will also help GM midscreen out as well, but as most of GM's game is played in the corner, ice ball won't play a significant factor as GM tends to juggle with clone instead.

Variation Specific Adjustments Needed:

0 Recovery on Frost/Ice Barrier when absorbing a projectile- This allows this move to be used as advertised without Sub-Zero having to practically put his life on the line for trying.

Sub-Zero gains meter for blocking attacks with aura active- Sub-Zero can actually benefit from turtling as opposed to merely allowing his opponent to bully him and gain meter while they're at it. He needs to gain something whereas before he simply didn't lose anything. This is essentially the same buff they gave Kotal.

You do these things and I legitimately believe Sub-Zero is Top 10 or Top 12 easily.

Wait, I thought Unbreakable was good now? I just thought it was along the lines of Cyromancer where the buffs made him good but everyone still just uses Grandmaster 'cuz reasons.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
It would be pretty awesome if Sub had a chargeable ice ball with 2 levels of charge. Without it being too crazy...

DF2 would give us exactly what we have now (charge 1) which scales poorly as it does now, but is slightly faster on start up like Cryo's hammer, comboing normally off of 11, in addition to new b33 and 12 links (again, similarly to what Cryo's hammer does). This charge 1 ice ball will be as punishable as current ice ball is on block. But executing DF2~2 gives a level 2 (charge 2) which scales ~2-3% better, moves across the screen faster, builds meter equal to throwing two ice balls, and only combos off strings/ normals with higher cancel advantage such as b12, f4, and 111 for Cryo (but able to combo normally in the corner off 11, b33, 12, etc.). Charge 2 differing from ex ice blast in that it doesn't eat other projectiles, is still a high, has much more recovery (making GM whiff clone > jip a tight link), and start up is longer creating a large gap if the opponent blocks the string preceding it (with the exception of f4, as it's SZ's jailing normal).

Make charge 2 dash/ run cancelable for 1/3 stamina in Cryo , make both charge 1 and 2 eat/ break opponents projectiles for Unbreakable so he can zone or turtle successfully as a defensive variation, and leave GM the way it is. Aesthetically, make it look similar to ex ice blast and provide an audio cue when it's casted successfully.

Lokheit

Noob
Wait, I thought Unbreakable was good now? I just thought it was along the lines of Cyromancer where the buffs made him good but everyone still just uses Grandmaster 'cuz reasons.
Nope, once the dust settled, Unbreakable was just slightly better than what it used to be (arguably the worst or one of the worst variations in the game). Note: And it's not like Cryomancer jumped into top tier or anything like that, but at least the changes there were good.

Having Ice Bomb/Burst in the variation is a welcomed change, but they focused the buffs on the 1 exclusive that actually would've been fine if they kept it as it was (the aura).

Now Unbreakable can combo into aura into string to make his strings a bit longer... but then you realize that the aura has a 85% damage penalty over following damage and it turns out that the final damage from most combos isn't much better than it used to be (even with the enhanced ice burst with aura, the penalty from using the aura during a combo reduces the damage too much).

It also introduced a huge personality crisis for Unbrekable, as you're supposed to keep the aura on to reduce damage, but then if you have the aura before a combo you can't use the "extended" strings, but then you're supposed to be a low damage variation because of the aura... so you're supposed to keep the aura on in the neautral game... etc, etc, etc...

In my opinion the move that should have been changed from Unbreakable is the parry. Make the parry a holdable and cancelable move and the variation gets much better. Right now the parry ends before opponents can counter from most of your strings and once it ends you're eating combo salad and there is nothing you can do aboit it. A holdable parry creates mind games, and if you can cancel it, either by down down or by run cancel (depending on how much pressure ability you want to add to the character from a balancing perspective) it's no longer the suicide move that it currently is.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
You talk about buffing Subby and the discussion immediately boils down to either:

SUB ZERO IS FINE/JUST NEEDS BUG FIXES/DAMN FEMALE HITBOXES/CANCEL CLONE ON HIT...

...and we all forget that Unbreakable is probably the only variation that needs buffs. Three small changes and Suby is then a complete character. Cryo needs zero buffs. GM needs zero buffs (maybe some slight proximity adjustments). That's it. We should focus on the real problem here.

Universal Character Adjustments Needed:

Reduced Scaling on Ice Ball
- This is essentially a damage buff, and an avenue to buff Unbreakable (which essentially depends on the universal midscreen conversion for meterless damage). This will also help GM midscreen out as well, but as most of GM's game is played in the corner, ice ball won't play a significant factor as GM tends to juggle with clone instead.

Variation Specific Adjustments Needed:

0 Recovery on Frost/Ice Barrier when absorbing a projectile- This allows this move to be used as advertised without Sub-Zero having to practically put his life on the line for trying.

Sub-Zero gains meter for blocking attacks with aura active- Sub-Zero can actually benefit from turtling as opposed to merely allowing his opponent to bully him and gain meter while they're at it. He needs to gain something whereas before he simply didn't lose anything. This is essentially the same buff they gave Kotal.

You do these things and I legitimately believe Sub-Zero is Top 10 or Top 12 easily.
The problem I have with your post is the reasoning used in reduced ice ball scaling. You can't just say GM won't benefit that much. You have to look at as "buffing the damage for all 3 variations." not "buffing the damage for unbreakable and kinda sorta buffing the other 2".

The gaining meter on block thing is cool but the difference with blood god is he doesn't even have one armor move. His only wakeup option is parry and EX parry. Sub has 2 (one that switch sides and one that could give him a combo) and a parry that grants full combo. It's not really the same situation at all. Kotal's extra meter gain is more defensive and comeback oriented. Hypothetically he gets more breakers, X-rays (Kotal's is REALLY good) and if he does get a chance to hit you, he more than likely has bar to spend.

Nope, once the dust settled, Unbreakable was just slightly better than what it used to be (arguably the worst or one of the worst variations in the game). Note: And it's not like Cryomancer jumped into top tier or anything like that, but at least the changes there were good.

Having Ice Bomb/Burst in the variation is a welcomed change, but they focused the buffs on the 1 exclusive that actually would've been fine if they kept it as it was (the aura).

Now Unbreakable can combo into aura into string to make his strings a bit longer... but then you realize that the aura has a 85% damage penalty over following damage and it turns out that the final damage from most combos isn't much better than it used to be (even with the enhanced ice burst with aura, the penalty from using the aura during a combo reduces the damage too much).

It also introduced a huge personality crisis for Unbrekable, as you're supposed to keep the aura on to reduce damage, but then if you have the aura before a combo you can't use the "extended" strings, but then you're supposed to be a low damage variation because of the aura... so you're supposed to keep the aura on in the neautral game... etc, etc, etc...

In my opinion the move that should have been changed from Unbreakable is the parry. Make the parry a holdable and cancelable move and the variation gets much better. Right now the parry ends before opponents can counter from most of your strings and once it ends you're eating combo salad and there is nothing you can do aboit it. A holdable parry creates mind games, and if you can cancel it, either by down down or by run cancel (depending on how much pressure ability you want to add to the character from a balancing perspective) it's no longer the suicide move that it currently is.
I honestly would hate if they made another "special cancel for advantage/"mind games"" character. Just having a parry is a mind game. What if you could turn the aura on and off? So if you have it on and are doing strings you can turn it off to get the extra combos. That way you could use it in the neutral and to be defensive but you're not "handicapped" for using it correctly. The damage penalty does suck though and I don't get why it's like that. Probably just bad testing. I don't think he should get some big damage in unbreakable but if you're averaging pre-buff damage then that's probably bad scaling.

Lokheit

Noob
I honestly would hate if they made another "special cancel for advantage/"mind games"" character. Just having a parry is a mind game. What if you could turn the aura on and off? So if you have it on and are doing strings you can turn it off to get the extra combos. That way you could use it in the neutral and to be defensive but you're not "handicapped" for using it correctly. The damage penalty does suck though and I don't get why it's like that. Probably just bad testing. I don't think he should get some big damage in unbreakable but if you're averaging pre-buff damage then that's probably bad scaling.
Well, I suggest the "down down" cancel in my post (meaning no combo pressure but safer parry removal than the current suicidical iteration) because run cancels could be too much, but the parry needs something for sure to make the whole variation better. There is no mind game currently as the way most of Sub-Zero's strings work, parry is not useful (the timing is horrible and you're hit most times when it's being removed meaning you can't block during those frames).

An on/off command for the aura would mean having to search opportunities to turn it off (meaning risks to get hit just when you're removing your defensive aura), and the fact that something like that could be useful under some situations speaks about how bad an idea the whole "aura combos" was, when the aura was fine and the problems were on the parry. The idea worked really well for Deceptive Reptile (who only has a 98% penalty on his aura btw, less than the penalty of a regular jab) but here it creates problems without really improving the character.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Well, I suggest the "down down" cancel in my post (meaning no combo pressure but safer parry removal than the current suicidical iteration) because run cancels could be too much, but the parry needs something for sure to make the whole variation better. There is no mind game currently as the way most of Sub-Zero's strings work, parry is not useful (the timing is horrible and you're hit most times when it's being removed meaning you can't block during those frames).

An on/off command for the aura would mean having to search opportunities to turn it off (meaning risks to get hit just when you're removing your defensive aura), and the fact that something like that could be useful under some situations speaks about how bad an idea the whole "aura combos" was, when the aura was fine and the problems were on the parry. The idea worked really well for Deceptive Reptile (who only has a 98% penalty on his aura btw, less than the penalty of a regular jab) but here it creates problems without really improving the character.
I'll admit I don't know how to play Sub like that. But a parry does not need to come after all your attacks. Doing parry sometimes and not doing parry after your own attacks is only one mind game you could use. I played against a sub who parried during Cassie's b123 gap meterless. Meterless 6f punish and 3f with meter is a scary threat. Usually Parries give one off damage or maybe some advantage. Sub has one of the few throughout fighting games that give full blown combos. There has to be big risk in there.

A parry cancel is just silly imo. Not only can you stop others attacks but you could then erase your own mistakes or even just make things safe and have a combo starter covering your ass.

The parry being blown up by projectiles does suck and I think Sub should get some advantage or at least be able to keep up with projectiles like how Kotal can with his parry.

Turning off ice aura wouldn't be some super risky thing. That's like saying turning it on is super risky. You do it on knockdowns, when there's space or mid combo like I see all the other unbreakable subs do now. Why do people have this thing where they have to look for negatives in everything? Not that sub couldn't use some tweaks but it's like everything has to be perfect or else a move is just bad. . .

champdee

Noob
Again everything you asked for if given would make him a dumb character. Doesn't matter if you think GM should get something. Especially doesn't matter if the other 2 variations got something. It's not like GM can't perform. The only thing holding it back are some bugs and people still play well with character. Giving buffs like you mentioned is just a bad idea.

Unless you don't mind doing barely 10% per combo.
wow.. even in OP is bug fixes mostly.. he's safe off clone off of f4~clone, f33~clone, d4 clone at max distances, s3~clone, 1~clone ad maybe others.. This wasn't meant for a buff/nerf thread it was meant to see what other sub gm (and other variants) would like.. fairly.

It was a wishlist, why does every thread have to be an argument? And remember is the infamous breathing hitbnoxes were to be fixed... it'd not just help sub-zero but everyone else.. watch during the life of this game they'll be more "hitbox issues" discovered