What's new

Question So....is anybody else actually trying to main Skarlet

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
lol. Why?
Agreed. Jade got better. Skarlet got... a little more tricky. But honestly, I can't imagine switching to any other character. If anything the patch has made me a bit more technical and intentional on what my game plan is going to be. Skarlet is my mai :)

The Skarlet club idea is funny. Skarlet mirror matches are an insane crazy time but I wouldn't want to do it all day though. Ninj already handed my ass to me good enough last time we met online.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Skarlet got more technical in the patch, but also got much stronger in the sense that she can now do get-up moves to get pressure off herself much easier. I didn't think Skarlet could get more technical, but here we have it. I'll be working on the Guide this weekend - I'll be starting from the ground up - her normals, pro's and con's, safe/unsafe combo starters and their potential, strategy vs each member of the cast (down to their specials!), combo setups, zoning strategies (yes there are a few of these), and anything inbetween. If you think I've missed something, please send me a msg or post here and I'll think on it.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Skarlet got more technical in the patch, but also got much stronger in the sense that she can now do get-up moves to get pressure off herself much easier. I didn't think Skarlet could get more technical, but here we have it. I'll be working on the Guide this weekend - I'll be starting from the ground up - her normals, pro's and con's, safe/unsafe combo starters and their potential, strategy vs each member of the cast (down to their specials!), combo setups, zoning strategies (yes there are a few of these), and anything inbetween. If you think I've missed something, please send me a msg or post here and I'll think on it.
Well, I think it sounds like you are covering everything. In my opinion, the discussion that will be most useful is the matchup discussion. A lot of the other stuff has been talked about, although its not all nice and tight and all in one place, and I appreciate you going through the trouble. We don't have any solid discussion of matchup strategy, and for Skarlet I think its the most important thing to consider. I'm finding that half of my energy in each matchup needs to be spent on taking away what the other character wants to do, and the other half can be trying to impose my will. I know thats really ambiguous theory talk but I think in order to be successful with skarlet you have to think on those lines.

Ninj

Well, I think it sounds like you are covering everything. In my opinion, the discussion that will be most useful is the matchup discussion. A lot of the other stuff has been talked about, although its not all nice and tight and all in one place, and I appreciate you going through the trouble. We don't have any solid discussion of matchup strategy, and for Skarlet I think its the most important thing to consider. I'm finding that half of my energy in each matchup needs to be spent on taking away what the other character wants to do, and the other half can be trying to impose my will. I know thats really ambiguous theory talk but I think in order to be successful with skarlet you have to think on those lines.
I see where you're coming from, and I intend to have the matchup discussion be the final segment of my guide. First understanding her basics and specials, then understanding her combo's - punishers, corners, and midscreen/oddball - then comes understanding your opponent's character, then finally the opponent themselves. All of these pieces are necessary and must be built on themselves in order to give Skarlet the fluid(read: adaptable) combat style she needs in order to dominate. I'm going to attempt to build this, and make revisions/expansions where I need to based on criticisms/compliments from you all. Video will be used along with text.

CoolStoryBro

Reppin' The Royalty!
Im Really working on my skarlet atm.. My fave Fighter in the game. I main Mileena/Sonya.. and i try to play as much skarlet as possible But, being inexperienced.. i tend to get my ass handed to me.. quite a bit ;) Dont get me wrong, I've probably had more wins than losses with her, But im waiting on this Guide From Ninj.. Hopefully That'll help me up my game alot.. Quick question for ninj, I've been Punishing With F4, DB2, 2,3 RD,B2, 2,3 RD,4.. Im just wondering if thats a good punisher to be using? Her F4 is very fast, and it works for me, but just wanted reasurance from the Skarlet God Himself :) Also, some praise coming for Ninj aswell.. reccomended you for skarlet mod, hope thats cool.. Your extremely helpful and your skarlet is BEAST. (with capitals for enphasise) :)

Ninj

Im Really working on my skarlet atm.. My fave Fighter in the game. I main Mileena/Sonya.. and i try to play as much skarlet as possible But, being inexperienced.. i tend to get my ass handed to me.. quite a bit ;) Dont get me wrong, I've probably had more wins than losses with her, But im waiting on this Guide From Ninj.. Hopefully That'll help me up my game alot.. Quick question for ninj, I've been Punishing With F4, DB2, 2,3 RD,B2, 2,3 RD,4.. Im just wondering if thats a good punisher to be using? Her F4 is very fast, and it works for me, but just wanted reasurance from the Skarlet God Himself :) Also, some praise coming for Ninj aswell.. reccomended you for skarlet mod, hope thats cool.. Your extremely helpful and your skarlet is BEAST. (with capitals for enphasise) :)
Hey CSB, thanks for the recommendation. Guide is in the works!

As for your punisher F4, DB2, 2,3 RD,B2, 2,3 RD,4, yes that's a good one. When I go for a JIP to F4 or a standing F4, I always do F4,df3,db2 if I want to try to snag a launcher on them. The reasoning for doing this is that you can go with df3,4 to make them unsure whether or not they need to block low or high, so you can have them in 50/50 guessing mode whenever you're close.

There may be advantages to doing F4,db2 and not doing the df3 - mainly I'm seeing it leaves you distanced from them a little bit so it'd be harder for them to punish a blocked db2 (unless you're already in touching range, in which case I would highly recommend adding the df3 before the db2 always).

CoolStoryBro

Reppin' The Royalty!
Ah, Cheers man. Makes perfect sense. Actually never thought of doing the red dash after the F4, but putting it as you did, seems to be the best thing to do.

galindo

Noob
her moves are so unsafe, wasnt easy for me to try her so i quit
(no quitter) its just there where other characters that interested me more.

only about 1% of the players i play online have been skarlett, any psn user out there?
the only decent skarlett ive fought is krazie's but that was offline

Ninj

her moves are so unsafe, wasnt easy for me to try her so i quit
(no quitter) its just there where other characters that interested me more.

only about 1% of the players i play online have been skarlett, any psn user out there?
the only decent skarlett ive fought is krazie's
Her moves are designed to be linked into df3,4/Up or Downslash, depending on the situation. By themselves, a lot of her moves are very punishable and very unsafe, but Skarlet is very proficient at setting people up for massive damage juggle combos.

Hopefully my guide shows you how safe moves can be and how deadly Skarlet really is!

galindo

Noob
Her moves are designed to be linked into df3,4/Up or Downslash, depending on the situation. By themselves, a lot of her moves are very punishable and very unsafe, but Skarlet is very proficient at setting people up for massive damage juggle combos.

Hopefully my guide shows you how safe moves can be and how deadly Skarlet really is!
i dont think she is bad.

but i really dont know how good she can be. definitely want more matchup info against her so i will be reading.

How come blood ball is not that much talked about i think using blood ball to put a bigger gap in the life lead is insane !! What are other peoples thoughts ?

Ninj

How come blood ball is not that much talked about i think using blood ball to put a bigger gap in the life lead is insane !! What are other peoples thoughts ?
Blood Ball is highly situational, that's all. It cannot be linked into any remotely realistic combos, has slow startup, slow recovery, and damages yourself. It's not useless, but it's not terribly useful either (assuming you have a competent opponent).

I am really starting to question why skarlet is so underused because just now exploring her ability's and i can see extreme amounts of potential.

Ninj

I am really starting to question why skarlet is so underused because just now exploring her ability's and i can see extreme amounts of potential.
Good question. The way her character is setup allows for some very interesting combo's - the Red Dash allows for a lot of flexibility in what can connect to what.

Drayn0

Noob
Good question. The way her character is setup allows for some very interesting combo's - the Red Dash allows for a lot of flexibility in what can connect to what.
Lots of potential indeed. Her blockstrings are decent and they become good when cancelled into red dash, so she has some rushdown potential as well as zoning potential. She also has damaging strings that lead to resets and more mixups. She's just not very popular.

I noticed that Skarlet has crazy wall carrying combos so what other than a high damaging combo do you do when you lock the opponent into the corner ?

kandehbar

The Gryphon
I dont realy know much about scarlet but im gonna pick her up just cause yall look like a good character community