What's new

Question - Sorcerer So, about that Sorcerer variation

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
So, i've recently made the move to Sorcer quan from my other main. I have spent the day in the lab today, and this variation seems pretty ridiculous. I know people complain about the mixups from Summoner but this variation is stupidly strong (no, i dont just mean the rune trap).

Things i've discovered today:
I threw out the BNB's folks are using and starting just making shit up. most mid screen combos for me now equal about 35-40% using 1 bar, most lead to a safe armored portal or stagger pressure

Did not know that Enhanced trance gives either some sort of damage boost during the combo you use it in or a scaling modifier (earlier the better), and dont see it mentioned anywhere. easy way to see what i'm talking about is do trance, 4 MB close rune, RC 4 Mid run
Normal trance dmg: 26%
no Trance: 30%
Enhanced Trance: 33%

Enhanced trance also guarantees meter drain portal into combo as well as chip portal, letting you do 40% midscreen with 2 bars while draining 3/5ths of an opponents bar. can take over a full bar in the corner

I have corner combos now using 1 bar that lead into 45% and either give safe armored portal into pressure or into vortex mixup

Skydrop can be somewhat abused in the corner when you combo into it from NJP, jump kick and skydrop when you already have an armor portal up. skydrop immediately upon landing again and the opponent cannot armor out, and on block if they attempt to punish you still absorb a hit and can punish most of the cast for it. I dont know why i like hitting with this move.

Got some other tech i discovered but i'm keepin it in my pocket (I am a tech monster :D)

macro

Eezeepeezee
Then I apologize. I read a lot of the forum threads, and found no mention of MB trance giving a damage boost and guaranteeing the Purple portal plus 14 frames roughly.

I also didnt find any mention of people trying to incorporate sky drop, just that it sucks 99% of the time :-P

Back into my hidey hole then :(
It's all good man.
Were just trying to help out the community here, and I thank you for this thread any ways. Because I know you took time out of you day to try and help the quan community grow and learn something new.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
You will be hit and won't have enough ime to run all the way up and combo and that is a bar wasted. Rather trade with a rune whilst zoning. Check out the zoning tutorial if you need help :D
Nah, I don't like him, thx though

I actually tried to do ex trance combos, and with precise timing it really is possible to do any spell and continue the combo. it is useful to drain meter with doing Meter drain spell into b32 xx ex rune, rune and it is all in one combo.And as OP has stated you can do the Armor spell and combo into d3, so you are at +15 into 50/50 while having armor.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
EXtrance is pretty worthless. Only use it if it will end the round or for swag combos. That is all in my opinion
I disagree. EX trance does not give 4% extra dmg like others have stated, it changes the scaling the earlier you do it. It also guarantees all 3 portals into combo, and you can actually even do the chip dmg aura and have time to do a crossup and continue the combo. the power of MB trance with drain portal is strong

The only odd thing about it is that the length of the trance varies depending on the gravity of the combo you linked it in. Made this as a quick example

Last edited:
I disagree. EX trance does not give 4% extra dmg like others have stated, it changes the scaling the earlier you do it. It also guarantees all 3 portals into combo, and you can actually even do the chip dmg aura and have time to do a crossup and continue the combo. the power of MB trance with drain portal is strong

The only odd thing about it is that the length of the trance varies depending on the gravity of the combo you linked it in. Made this as a quick example

MB trance does 5% damage itself, that is why it usually adds 3-4% to combos.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
MB trance does 5% damage itself, that is why it usually adds 3-4% to combos.
He's right, it changes the scaling. I tested it last night. Dont recall the exact numbers, but I did B2xxTrance, B2, then did it again with EX. After EX trance, the 2nd B2 did like 1.6 more damage.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo

That's actually a very cool combo does the purple spell make the air skull recover faster or can you always combo from air skull like that? I've never seen it done before. That's some pretty solid meter stolen, sucks you have to waste 3 bars to do it but still pretty neat.

macro

Eezeepeezee

This is amazing man! #STOLEN

macro

Eezeepeezee

Look at this shit bro @Under_The_Mayo this opens up so much!

He's right, it changes the scaling. I tested it last night. Dont recall the exact numbers, but I did B2xxTrance, B2, then did it again with EX. After EX trance, the 2nd B2 did like 1.6 more damage.
I agree that it scales less than the regular trance, I meant that it doesn't give a damage boost but on top of scaling less adds some percent to overall combo because it is 5% damage itself. And regular Trance is 2%.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
This is amazing man! #STOLEN
The irony here is I didnt plan on posting this, or anything else. After my first post it was all "everyone already knows all this". I'm not ketchup or Mayo so no one listens to me hehe. The only reason I did is because when the guy said MB trance was ass, and it made me upset for some reason :D

That's actually a very cool combo does the purple spell make the air skull recover faster or can you always combo from air skull like that? I've never seen it done before. That's some pretty solid meter stolen, sucks you have to waste 3 bars to do it but still pretty neat.
You and others may not be aware of this (and i didnt either until like two days ago) but unlike MK9, any time you perform a jumping attack whether it hits, is blocked, or even on full whiff, after active frames you can cancel into a special move at ANY point. What i was doing in that video was an instant jump, and then waiting until i got close to the ground before i did the air fireball. Low enough, and you can convert off of it midscreen into runes, or near the corner into trance with or without purple portal

this would actually be useful i think because it allows you to avoid trip guards since low enough and the skull is safe on block. especially dirty if you have them cornered with an armor portal and suspect a jump, you jump back 1 and if it hits, convert. if they dont and it whiffs, skydrop back into your armor and make em hold it since your skydrop is now safe :)

Also, first combo is only two bars, does 44% (you can make this higher and with all sorts of difficult swag and meter stealing if thats your thing, this was just an example) and took an entire bar from them. second combo is overkill, but you can still take a full bar from them midscreen using only two bars as well. This isnt my personal BNB and not what i do midscreen, but the corner one? absolutely either that or my armor combo

Bear in mind that i havent gotten a lot of matchup experience yet. this is all from a few days in the lab. right now im working on my execution and punishment when i get a chance to play against actual people but thats only like once a week for a few hours.

macro

Eezeepeezee
The irony here is I didnt plan on posting this, or anything else. After my first post it was all "everyone already knows all this". I'm not ketchup or Mayo so no one listens to me hehe. The only reason I did is because when the guy said MB trance was ass, and it made me upset for some reason :D

You and others may not be aware of this (and i didnt either until like two days ago) but unlike MK9, any time you perform a jumping attack whether it hits, is blocked, or even on full whiff, after active frames you can cancel into a special move at ANY point. What i was doing in that video was an instant jump, and then waiting until i got close to the ground before i did the air fireball. Low enough, and you can convert off of it midscreen into runes, or near the corner into trance with or without purple portal

this would actually be useful i think because it allows you to avoid trip guards since low enough and the skull is safe on block. especially dirty if you have them cornered with an armor portal and suspect a jump, you jump back 1 and if it hits, convert. if they dont and it whiffs, skydrop back into your armor and make em hold it since your skydrop is now safe :)

Also, first combo is only two bars, does 44% (you can make this higher and with all sorts of difficult swag and meter stealing if thats your thing, this was just an example) and took an entire bar from them. second combo is overkill, but you can still take a full bar from them midscreen using only two bars as well. This isnt my personal BNB and not what i do midscreen, but the corner one? absolutely either that or my armor combo

Bear in mind that i havent gotten a lot of matchup experience yet. this is all from a few days in the lab. right now im working on my execution and punishment when i get a chance to play against actual people but thats only like once a week for a few hours.
Well good on you man!