What's new

Smite - who here plays?

AYSAMO

Noob
i hear LoL has it 10 times worse yeah, i'm just not used to this type of player yet.

really fun game though, the combat is so intuitive, and the whole concept of playing as gods is just badass.

MOBAs usually have a steep learning curve and no random is ever willing to help you learn. LoL is fine if you play ranked and get past silver, everyone starts to calm down and holds the L when it comes instead of "REPORT REPORT REPORT". MOBAs are a lot less frustrating and easier to learn if you have a full team of ppl to play with, too. I might get smite, it looks kind of interesting but I mostly play LoL.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
MOBAs usually have a steep learning curve and no random is ever willing to help you learn. LoL is fine if you play ranked and get past silver, everyone starts to calm down and holds the L when it comes instead of "REPORT REPORT REPORT". MOBAs are a lot less frustrating and easier to learn if you have a full team of ppl to play with, too. I might get smite, it looks kind of interesting but I mostly play LoL.
I play LoL primarily too and I main Blitz/Naut/Thresh (pulls all day) so I was a little sad to see there was no similar god as of yet. However, even then I found there to be some pretty fun people to play. Snagging someone in a pool and dick-slapping them with a kraken is pretty fun.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Anyone whos played LoL and now playing Smite- how would you compare?

It looks good in most respects but it doesnt look like you have the map awareness you need for Moba games.... am i just nitpicking? :p

My user is Icenick

Does anyone have ways to deal with Loki? He seems just so broken with his insane burst even with little farm...
I'm new to smite but I understand the genre

It looks good in most respects but it doesnt look like you have the map awareness you need for Moba games.... am i just nitpicking? :p
Like I mentioned I hate with a passion LoL but really enjoy smite.

I'd say yes because there's no runes but there are wards in the game, honestly have played a real competitive match or one with even 10 good players (5v5).
1 difference I noticed is the carries, in smite you don't send your carry mid you send someone who clears the creeps the fastest lol

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Like I mentioned I hate with a passion LoL but really enjoy smite.

I'd say yes because there's no runes but there are wards in the game, honestly have played a real competitive match or one with even 10 good players (5v5).
1 difference I noticed is the carries, in smite you don't send your carry mid you send someone who clears the creeps the fastest lol
I only play support roles in LoL and would likely do the same in Smite if i played, but watching your map and being able to keep an eye on the whole game is pretty much required to play at a decent level... how does smite cope with that?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

At the lower levels of gameplay, no you really don't because people are usually too trigger shy to gank.
At the higher levels, however, it becomes even more necessary with all of the air-dive champs in the game. No ward? Looks like you didn't see Apollo crashing on you and smacking you with a thousand damage before even landing.

Its easier on account of most gods having some means of escape and every one of them has a generally good balance. You aren't finding stuff like pre-buff Eve and pre-nerf Darius, generally if you play smart you can get by. You also have stuff like meditation which is like a permanent clarity and sprint being ghost (albeit with a short duration), so theres not too much stress on sustain. Buy an item that heals on attack and go in there.

Once you get into teamfights though it really gets more hectic than "Ult ult ult ult" because so many champs have AoE and disengages, traps, chases, and the so on. Laning is easy, very back and forth and just don't get ganked. Once the ganking phase comes into play though that's when it really picks itself up.

I like it, its fun, and it doesn't suffer from the "meta or gtfo" style of other games. You still have scaling, but the items cover such large bases that you can really build just about anything and it'll work.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
At the lower levels of gameplay, no you really don't because people are usually too trigger shy to gank.
At the higher levels, however, it becomes even more necessary with all of the air-dive champs in the game. No ward? Looks like you didn't see Apollo crashing on you and smacking you with a thousand damage before even landing.

Its easier on account of most gods having some means of escape and every one of them has a generally good balance. You aren't finding stuff like pre-buff Eve and pre-nerf Darius, generally if you play smart you can get by. You also have stuff like meditation which is like a permanent clarity and sprint being ghost (albeit with a short duration), so theres not too much stress on sustain. Buy an item that heals on attack and go in there.

Once you get into teamfights though it really gets more hectic than "Ult ult ult ult" because so many champs have AoE and disengages, traps, chases, and the so on. Laning is easy, very back and forth and just don't get ganked. Once the ganking phase comes into play though that's when it really picks itself up.

I like it, its fun, and it doesn't suffer from the "meta or gtfo" style of other games. You still have scaling, but the items cover such large bases that you can really build just about anything and it'll work.

Yeah i can respect that its balanced and alot of stuff in LoL has been toned down in Smite, but as far as playing a team game and not being able to see your team unless they are right in front of you, puts even more pressure on having a well communicated team, which is one of the main reasons you cant play Mobos on your own without causing rage-fests.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Yeah i can respect that its balanced and alot of stuff in LoL has been toned down in Smite, but as far as playing a team game and not being able to see your team unless they are right in front of you, puts even more pressure on having a well communicated team, which is one of the main reasons you cant play Mobos on your own without causing rage-fests.
It seems fair to say we are all beginners or smite though not of Mobas, so let me go on record to say this...

Wards are necessary. 100% in Smite, but it doesn't look like it on the surface. Once you get on the bigger maps and get those better abilities, you begin to find that you need to gank to win. This isn't like league where you can play top, stay top, and be fine and dandy. If you aren't getting kills, you won't be able to compete with someone who has. Warding jungle camps is basically a given, and warding through the jungle prevents you from dying and also stops you from losing vision on the opponent.

If you can avoid dying and get kills, you pretty much can't be stopped. Its all about who can play the game the smartest, get the strongest the fastest, and building to beat the opposition. Instead of thinking of it like a MOBA, think of it more like a less-intensive SC2. Its all about what you do, not who you are. Its not about how you farm, its about pushing and getting that map control.

In the world of gods, control is everything.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
A friend of mine recently introduced me to the game Smite, it's a free to play MOBA with a heavy emphasis on co op with friends, it's a fun little game that i'm really finding myself losing hours to, especially when i have buddies to play it with, just thought i'd make a quick thread to see if any of you guys play and wouldn't mind joining me sometime!

right now i only know how to play Ra, and a little of Arachni if someone manages to nab Ra before i do. :p

i'll compile a list of player names as you guys post them in this thread.

List
1. PNDMustard
2. R3AL3NTL3SS
3. Doomsey

Smite homepage: http://www.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/home

My buddy and I play this fairly frequently. We were playing 100% Arena for a while because the momentum can swing easier than it can in Conquest. Domination is also another where momentum can swing. Conquest is basically Dota (why does everyone play LoL? isn't that shit pay-to-win? not fun...) - and the guy saying Apollo can hit you for 1k damage before he lands...Maybe when he has 6 items and the 3k damage potion.

Anyways, my tag on there is Ninj, send me a friend request. I got rank 10 on Isis (got a little obsessed with her and ONLY played her for the past month or so) but I play Hel and Fenrir as well.

Oh and to the guy who gets owned by Loki - just gotta anticipate him. Sometimes he's got you and you're fucked, but he's a melee and so he's subject to having to have good aim, be right on you, or have good support helping him out. Get combat blink if you're that terrified of him...or just get some physical defense :p CC will bring him out of his stealth, and level 3 beads are godlike. I dunno why more people don't use this item...I almost invariably always get it. -5 sec on all your cooldowns + cc immunity for 3'ish seconds? gg. Every single support character should always get level 3 beads, regardless. -5 sec on all cooldowns is retarded coupled with a 25% cooldown reduction item.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
My buddy and I play this fairly frequently. We were playing 100% Arena for a while because the momentum can swing easier than it can in Conquest. Domination is also another where momentum can swing. Conquest is basically Dota (why does everyone play LoL? isn't that shit pay-to-win? not fun...) - and the guy saying Apollo can hit you for 1k damage before he lands...Maybe when he has 6 items and the 3k damage potion.

Anyways, my tag on there is Ninj, send me a friend request. I got rank 10 on Isis (got a little obsessed with her and ONLY played her for the past month or so) but I play Hel and Fenrir as well.

Oh and to the guy who gets owned by Loki - just gotta anticipate him. Sometimes he's got you and you're fucked, but he's a melee and so he's subject to having to have good aim, be right on you, or have good support helping him out. Get combat blink if you're that terrified of him...or just get some physical defense :p CC will bring him out of his stealth, and level 3 beads are godlike. I dunno why more people don't use this item...I almost invariably always get it. -5 sec on all your cooldowns + cc immunity for 3'ish seconds? gg. Every single support character should always get level 3 beads, regardless. -5 sec on all cooldowns is retarded coupled with a 25% cooldown reduction item.
awesome, word of warning though, if you play with me be prepared to have to carry me and my free Arachni and Ra. :p

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Every MOBA community barring like Dota does it. I'm used to it from the FGC and they all play the same so I usually get by.
:3

DOTA is the worst offender of that though. If you play any other MOBA, then your treated like a black man in the 20's.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

I'm all about that max damage build. ;)

Also LoL is pay for skins, but you can just get the characters with in-game and honestly you still need to be good to use them against someone who knows what they are doing. Can't even buy runes with real money, gotta work for that shit.

Also me personally, I like Apollo when he has the multi-bow and the Qul's swords. You'd be surprised how many people don't pay attention to an Apollo who pops their entire team with a few audacity shots. Beads? Ehhhh...... I think I got beads once on like Ra, and that was only because I was going with my "throw a circle and hope they stay in it" build.

Ninj

awesome, word of warning though, if you play with me be prepared to have to carry me and my free Arachni and Ra. :p

Have you played Arena or Domination? Arena is the most fun to me in that game. Conquest is basically dota, and if I wanted to play a legitimate Dota game I'd just play Dota 2 where it's entirely skill based without any pay to win nonsense. Not to mention the balance is top quality and the meta game adds a solid layer to the game.

RM Truth

Also, I've played quite a bit of Smite since it came out. I usually play Fenrir, but I also like to play Zeus and Hel....Actually, fuck it. I pretty much play everybody.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
DOTA is the worst offender of that though. If you play any other MOBA, then your treated like a black man in the 20's.
Its only that way if you are Russian. For some reason the DotA community is anti-Russian. Literally that's it, DotA was my first Moba and I played Pudge. I got so much help I almost went pro in the later year but I couldn't fund myself. :(

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Have you played Arena or Domination? Arena is the most fun to me in that game. Conquest is basically dota, and if I wanted to play a legitimate Dota game I'd just play Dota 2 where it's entirely skill based without any pay to win nonsense. Not to mention the balance is top quality and the meta game adds a solid layer to the game.
Hey, carry me too :(
I'm free in Smite too D:

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
When I play with my buddies we only do Arena or Conquest, I do enjoy conquest the most due to how satisfying it is to win at, but I still do alot of things wrong, I think I die too often, and items still confuse me.

Ninj

I'm all about that max damage build. ;)

Also LoL is pay for skins, but you can just get the characters with in-game and honestly you still need to be good to use them against someone who knows what they are doing. Can't even buy runes with real money, gotta work for that shit.

Also me personally, I like Apollo when he has the multi-bow and the Qul's swords. You'd be surprised how many people don't pay attention to an Apollo who pops their entire team with a few audacity shots. Beads? Ehhhh...... I think I got beads once on like Ra, and that was only because I was going with my "throw a circle and hope they stay in it" build.

Have you ever played against an intelligent Ares? Blink + Ult = you and whoever is caught with you is about to get royally boned. Not to mention the myriad of stun/aoe slow setups people have that it gets you out of, and it's on a 90 second cd. If you play Support, you need beads. There's just no way around it.

But this is coming from someone who mains Isis, where beads + cd reduction allows you to cast most of your spells twice in a row which is godlike.

RM Truth

Its only that way if you are Russian. For some reason the DotA community is anti-Russian. Literally that's it, DotA was my first Moba and I played Pudge. I got so much help I almost went pro in the later year but I couldn't fund myself. :(

That's strange, I've told people in games of Dota 2 that I play League and Smite, and I was treated like I had the plague, and the last time I checked, I'm not Russian. Really strange.

RM Truth

Also, I've played quite a bit of Smite since it came out. I usually play Fenrir, but I also like to play Zeus and Hel....Actually, fuck it. I pretty much play everybody.

You can add me to the list if you want. I'm down to play with other people. Username is Shishigami4591.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Have you ever played against an intelligent Ares? Blink + Ult = you and whoever is caught with you is about to get royally boned. Not to mention the myriad of stun/aoe slow setups people have that it gets you out of, and it's on a 90 second cd. If you play Support, you need beads. There's just no way around it.

But this is coming from someone who mains Isis, where beads + cd reduction allows you to cast most of your spells twice in a row which is godlike.
Hades is the bane of my existence right now. Him and the damn jaguar guy, though to be fair my Ra bodies them out because its just like "-15% life every spell cast" + "Slow whenever hit by spells" + "Drop that resistance when hit by spells" + "CDR" + "More cooldowns" + insert shoes here. I was just like Blind -> Circle -> Beam -> Beam -> Blind.

Ninj

Hades is the bane of my existence right now. Him and the damn jaguar guy, though to be fair my Ra bodies them out because its just like "-15% life every spell cast" + "Slow whenever hit by spells" + "Drop that resistance when hit by spells" + "CDR" + "More cooldowns" + insert shoes here. I was just like Blind -> Circle -> Beam -> Beam -> Blind.

Hades also gets fucked by his opponents having beads. That's why I don't play Ares or Hades - anyone who takes a minute to think about it will simply buy beads every time they fight me, so what's the point in playing as them?

It helps to find a God you connect with. For me, Isis was it. She's such a powerful support I'd call her a support/carry.

But anyways...Ra is pretty straight forward and simple. Not a lot of complexity to him. Item builds are important, and using custom auto-skill level up setups are useful too. My Isis levels up the same way every time, so I don't have to assign skill points in the middle of a fight.