What's new

Match-up Discussion Smarrgasm Rain MU Chart

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
It is definitely an interesting matchup but i think rain does well against scorpion for a couple reasons. Rains major problems come from zoners getting damage on him and being able to play keep away and force rain off his footsie game. With scorpion the only thing forcing me to not sit back and play my game is hellfire. Since that is his only major tool to throw at me at distance i can simply sit back and even check you multiple times with lightning since it trades well with hellfire and beats anything else you do anyway. Up close scorpions only real answer for my pressure other than his awful pokes is his armor. If i think you are going to even try armoring out then i can cancel into jump or any number of options like adding my d3 into pressure since it makes ex spear whiff. The only thing that scares me is the vortex but if i guess right you eat 50% making you scared to go for the mixup.
Hmm, okay, definitely a fair analysis, I don't think Rain punishing the vortex warrants it being in his favor though, any bad commitments on Rain's part can be punished just as hard by Scorp with no meter, I would say Scorp has it a little less risky trying to make advancements too, while it helps to have the instant teleport down, since Scorp doesn't have much reason to use meter in this matchup at footsie range he can check with EX tele and condition, while Rain's teleport might give him an inadvertent OS, I'm sure I was trying for a 2,1 mixup once and ended up punishing him with a B2, and it must've counted as an AA because it did like 36% damage (Scorp's B2 scales less on airborne opponents), even when Rain is applying pressure, Scorp can interrupt with EX Takedown, which if blocked, is safe, and doesn't have to worry about it being stuffed due to Rain's advantage on his blockstrings not being quite as intense as Cage or Kabal, and if hits cant be teched which is useful against his iffy wake-up choices.

Admittedly, I don't play the matchup much and I would much rather use Sektor for it, I just don't see a standout reason why it's in either's favor. Seems even.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Stryker versus Rain is 5-5. All of Stryker's great pressure options work on Rain's gigantic hitbox, he can zone Rain well enough and bait teleports with welll placed gun cancels. Rain has solid armor and pressure to keep this competitive and they both have a position on the screen where they have an advantage. Rain's tools for getting in are pretty unsafe when it comes to his teleport. I've played a lot of Rain mains from here too and the match is all about good reads, spacing and patience.

Sheeva is 4-6 in Rain's favor, not 7-3. Rain doesn't shut down her options to the point of making this a 7-3. He beats her undoubtedly, but there is no way he is nearly as hard as Reptile especially given that Rain's big hitbox gives Sheeva more offensive options and good footsies rule the day, fireballs should be thrown sparingly, which is applicable to Sheeva's fireball no matter who you're fighting because it's a slow projectile.

Skitzo

Noob
I have tried just about everyone and none feel quite like rain. Sonya was my main for a while but Rain just fits how i play and i understand what i need to do in almost all situations. I wish i could make it to NEC to show him off some more but it looks like it will only be at locals until Final Round.
I will more than likely go to FR ;)

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I would like to have Scar opinion since he is the best Rain so far.

Kabal zones Rain pretty good and puts good rushdown on his as well. Every single one of Rain's teleports will eat Kabal's f4 nomad dash and it's too hard for Rain to get in on good IAGBs
You don't need f4, nd. Just buzzsaw rapes teleport constantly xD

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Do you guys think Rain would be as good as JC with his pre-patch dash ?

How is scar considered the best rain?
How isn't ? He is the best with all characters he plays (skarlet, freddy, jax, rain). He is probably the only one Rain who can defeat Pig's Kenshi (he just needed to do 4, 3, ex-splash xD).

Also, cdjr doesn't play rain anymore, and despite him, only Scar has solid fondamentals to make this character as good as he ca be so far. But this is my own opinion ofc.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter

How isn't ? He is the best with all characters he plays (skarlet, freddy, jax, rain). He is probably the only one Rain who can defeat Pig's Kenshi.

Also, cdjr doesn't play rain anymore, and despite him, only Scar has solid fondamentals to make this character as good as he ca be so far. But this is my own opinion ofc.
ONLY scar has good enough fundamentals?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?

How isn't ? He is the best with all characters he plays (skarlet, freddy, jax, rain). He is probably the only one Rain who can defeat Pig's Kenshi.

I play with pig and i can beat his Kenshi from time to time. Ive definitely made him think differently about the character overall. When pig first met me he told me to give up on rain forever. Now if you ask him he will tell me to stick with rain cause of how much ive leveled up and develoed through the character. Scar is a great player but he doesnt put as much time into rain as his other characters and may not have the overall knowledge as other more dedicated rain players.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
So to you, you are the best Rain right ? Wanna see FT5 against scar then :p
If he comes to final round i will gladly ft5 him. But im not saying im a better player than him. He has definitely proved that he is a top player with his performances. Im saying that his knowledge pertaining to this character may not be as good as more dedicated rain players not just me but others like Reno_Racks BookBurning and many others.

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
I was expecting you to complain about my ermac number, and you come in here talking about Tombstone. BIG FREE PLS.
Well I figured the Ermac number was an obvious troll, so I wasnt gonna bother feeding in to your joke...but if your serious, get your head checked LOL. And yes, NW beats Rain 6-4

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
If he comes to final round i will gladly ft5 him. But im not saying im a better player than him. He has definitely proved that he is a top player with his performances. Im saying that his knowledge pertaining to this character may not be as good as more dedicated rain players not just me but others like Reno_Racks BookBurning and many others.
Man, I don't see how Cage vs Rain is 5-5 But we'll agree to disagree haha :REO

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Man, I don't see how Cage vs Rain is 5-5 But we'll agree to disagree haha :REO
I mean as an online player for the most part ive played a billion cages and the MU just isnt hard for me. Like i said in a comment on the video of you and STH i wanna play a true cage main offline to see how it feels in that situation.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
ONLY scar has good enough fundamentals?
At this level play I think yes. Smarrgasm is a damn great player, but to me (I ma be wrong) he is lower than top of the top ^^

Smarrgasm : Ok, scar is potentially the best Rain then. I know he doesn't play Rain that much but imo, even with that lack of experience, he is the best.

Im saying that his knowledge pertaining to this character may not be as good as more dedicated rain players not just me but others like @Reno_Racks @BookBurning and many others.

Against Sonya :

His Rain is hype =)

After Scar, I'll say f0xy is the 2nd best. They both have great footsies anyway and it's what Rain needs to.

I'm also 100% sure that Scar's Rain would rapped easily players like TylerLantern.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
At this level play I think yes. Smarrgasm is a damn great player, but to me (I ma be wrong) he is lower than top of the top ^^

Smarrgasm : Ok, scar is potentially the best Rain then. I know he doesn't play Rain that much but imo, even with that lack of experience, he is the best.

Against Sonya :

His Rain is hype =)

After Scar, I'll say f0xy is the 2nd best. They both have great footsies anyway and it's what Rain needs to.

I'm also 100% sure that Scar's Rain would rapped easily players like TylerLantern.
Now you're just trying too hard. In the video vs showtime i saw about 10 dropped combos in the first game alone. He played well but its not about how good a player he is. Foxy doesnt even play this game anymore and again (hes obviously a better player than me) its not just about how good he is.

And as for that last comment, Tyler is a great player and is one of the few people to ever knock pig out of a tournament and once he beat him twice in the same tournament. Are you saying that scar isnt able to lose to tyler like pig has? You cant make assumptions like that. You have derailed this thread about MU's by coming in here and starting an argument about your bromance for scars rain when he most likely wont give out his MU numbers for rain anyway.