What's new

Guide Skarlet's Execution

ryublaze

Noob
Hi. This is sort of a mini guide for anyone who is having trouble with Skarlet's execution. Skarlet is a character where you have to have patience when executing her combos. I don't know whether I'll make a video or not but for now this is what I have. Please note that I did not find all of these (Ninj posted about the Dagger Toss Dash Cancelling tip). If you don't agree with anything, please post so we can discuss. :)

Dagger Toss Dash Cancelling: (Tip from Ninj)
As soon as you see Skarlet's arm extend out all the way, dash cancel. This only applies to normal Dagger Toss. You can dash cancel immediately after EX Dagger Toss.

Red Dash, Up Slash/Down Slash/Red Slide:
Red Dash can be linked into Up Slash, Down Slash, or Red Slide. You must input F2 for Up Slash, B2 for Down Slash, or 4 for Red Slide. They can only be inputted while Skarlet is in the middle of her Red Dash animation. To execute them at the earliest possible time, you can simply hold F2, B2, or 4 down after inputting Red Dash.

In a combo or blockstring, you can hold F2 or 4 down after inputting Red Dash before Skarlet enters her Red Dash animation. B2 can only be held down while Skarlet is in the middle of her Red Dash animation. If you need to hit confirm Red Dash into Up Slash or Down Slash, you can let go of 4 and input F2 or B2, or you can input them even if you are still holding 4 down.

NOTE: If you hold forward while doing Up Slash after Red Dash, you won't gain meter from the Up Slash due to some meter glitch. You must let go of forward and press it again.

Red Dash, Down Slash Combos:
During a midscreen combo (B2, Down Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Red Slide) focus only on getting the Red Dash to come out. Once you see the Red Dash, input Down Slash.

2, 3, Red Dash: (Tip from EMMURE789)
When inputting 2, 3, Red Dash you can input it as 2, 3, D, F instead because of negative edge.

1 or Throw After 1, 1, 2, Red Dash:
If you end a combo with 1, 1, 2, Red Dash, you have a tiny window to get in a guaranteed 1 or Throw attempt. Watch the trail of blood Skarlet makes during her Red Dash. Once you see the blood stop, input 1 or Throw. (1, 1, 4 is recommended when inputting 1.) This is not 100% guaranteed but it helps with timing.

F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash/EX Dagger Toss:
You can input a special move anytime during F2, 1, 2, 1+2. On block, it is recommended to input EX Dagger after the overhead so you can hit confirm into Red Dash. (If the opponent is hit by the overhead, you might waste meter on EX Dagger Toss.)

2, 1, 2, Dagger Toss:
Input Dagger Toss while Skarlet is executing the second 2. If you input Dagger Toss before then, negative edge will occur and you will get an Up Slash after 2, 1 instead. This combo turns into 2, 1, 2, Dagger Toss (dash cancel), 2, 3, Dagger Toss (dash cancel), 1, 1, 2.

F3, 1, 2, Red Dash:
Input Red Dash while Skarlet is executing the 2. If you input Red Dash before then, negative edge will occur and you will get an Up Slash after F3, 1 instead, or the Red Dash might not come out at all. This combo turns into F3, 1, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Red Slide.

B1, 1, F4 Wall Combos:
During a wall combo (F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2) when you see the opponent's feet become level with Skarlet's head, input the first B1, 1, F4. The second B1, 1, F4 must be inputted right after the first.

Instant Air Dagger:
I can't really help you here. This is done by quickly inputting U, D, F1. Some may find it easier to jump backwards instead. It takes a lot of practice, and probably can only be done consistently with a hitbox.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
thanks man! this is very useful, picking up skarlet is a loooooooooooong road. and this can be very useful epically to players who haven't played a character with higher execution ( I'm coming from Rain so it's not that hard )

I know i had trouble doing Red dash after 2 3, and 2 red dash
for 2 3 red dash you don't have to input 2 3 down forward 3 just 2 3 down forward, this helped me out alot

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
RedRaptor10 quick update on the guide:
-Normals, strings, and specials explanation complete
-New 2,1,2 BnB for damage and reset
-New pressure on EX dagger cancel
-All punisher (max damage) combo's complete
-Almost finished with all resets
--Next: Setups
--Then: Strategies
---Then editing, audio, and posting

ryublaze

Noob
RedRaptor10 quick update on the guide:
-Normals, strings, and specials explanation complete
-New 2,1,2 BnB for damage and reset (puts 2,1,2 back on the map as a worthwhile punish)
-New pressure on EX dagger cancel
-All punisher (max damage) combo's complete
-Almost finished with all resets
--Next: Setups
--Then: Strategies
---Then editing, audio, and posting
Can't wait to see the guide and the new stuff!

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Very useful stuffs indeed. Too bad I had practice for hours to know those by myself instead of reading this when I started to play her xD

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Great post! The only way I can get her instant air daggers down, to a degree, is by circling counterclockwise from up to forward and quickly pressing 1.

All in all, this is very helpful in learning Skarlet!

Ninj

She is very technical but...let's be real here.

This is MK. MK is like a 10 piece puzzle compared to the 10,000 piece that is SF. Suck it up people!
A little exagerrated. There's plenty of depth and technical skill involved in both games and their characters.

I think the biggest difference is the barrier to entry within the necessary movements to perform moves. MK9 went with a more normalized method, whereas SF requires you one character to do B D F F HP HP LP HK to do a super while another just has to do two fireball motions and hit the PPP button. To me, that doesn't really make any sense. Why should one character's attacks be any harder than another? That's just forcing people to learn complex motions for the sake of learning complex motions, not necessarily making them better players.

Anyway, /rant. I like the normalized feel of MK9, and as far as its characters go, Skarlet is as technically demanding, if not more so, than Kabal.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
She is very technical but...let's be real here.

This is MK. MK is like a 10 piece puzzle compared to the 10,000 piece that is SF. Suck it up people!
Compared to the SFIV series at least, Skarlet's execution is tied with, if not slightly harder, than the hardest stuff in that game.

People underestimate how hard MK9 really is.

And to clarify I played SFIV in tournaments for years, and I can do the hardest practical stuff (which is probably Viper) consistently in that game.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I play ssf4 too...kabal and skarlet are tough but I still can't do some things in ssf4. I tried to lean viper...no go. I played honda

D1 HHS standing HK standing HP...WIN

Flagg

Noob
Always make me laugh when people say "Viper" when they talk about characters that are technical in SSF IV when characters like Gen and Makoto are more if not harder to use.

Skarlet and Kabal are two different beasts. While NDC's on their own is easy, doing them at the end of strings is hard. I think Skarlets over all execution is harder than Kabals, but doing dagger cancels and dash cancels is a piece of cake compared to strings into NDC.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Always make me laugh when people say "Viper" when they talk about characters that are technical in SSF IV when characters like Gen and Makoto are more if not harder to use.

Skarlet and Kabal are two different beasts. While NDC's on their own is easy, doing them at the end of strings is hard. I think Skarlets over all execution is harder than Kabals, but doing dagger cancels and dash cancels is a piece of cake compared to strings into NDC.
Makoto was my main for all of super and her execution isn't as hard as viper or ibuki.

I can do everything consistently with her too, including Kara karakusa and hp xx hayate cancel > mp xx whatever

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
Hi! Questions:
- Blockstrings?
- Damage: Risk vs Reward : I'm playing online, what's lag-safe?
- Frame traps?
- Rushdown + Zoning... I know I should look at frame data and will do, but-- uh. She seems to be very rushdown inclined. How does that work for her? Being clever. (Movie reference!)

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Hi! Questions:
- Blockstrings?
- Damage: Risk vs Reward : I'm playing online, what's lag-safe?
- Frame traps?
- Rushdown + Zoning... I know I should look at frame data and will do, but-- uh. She seems to be very rushdown inclined. How does that work for her? Being clever. (Movie reference!)
hey how long have you been playing with her? Just to show you a little stuff with online or watch Ninj online videos: http://testyourmight.com/media/mortal-kombat-2011-chronicles-in-blood-khaotic_xshangx-vs-gamerblake90.284/
Now just to clear this up now i have only been using skarlet for a month now so yes i dropped alot of punishes, dropped alot of combos, and teleported in alot of situations that lost me alot of these matches but gamerblake90 is really good and i just wanted to test my skill level against him. I found out that if someone stuffs her slide which puts u at -3 that they can d1 or d3 if you try to jump back or forward so i think you have to block right after if they know what they are doing. Blake said he didnt know he could do that and he is the first person that has done it to me.

Ninj

hey how long have you been playing with her? Just to show you a little stuff with online or watch Ninj online videos: http://testyourmight.com/media/mortal-kombat-2011-chronicles-in-blood-khaotic_xshangx-vs-gamerblake90.284/
Now just to clear this up now i have only been using skarlet for a month now so yes i dropped alot of punishes, dropped alot of combos, and teleported in alot of situations that lost me alot of these matches but gamerblake90 is really good and i just wanted to test my skill level against him. I found out that if someone stuffs her slide which puts u at -3 that they can d1 or d3 if you try to jump back or forward so i think you have to block right after if they know what they are doing. Blake said he didnt know he could do that and he is the first person that has done it to me.
Only have time to watch one match - not bad, but keep in mind, with Skarlet, everything leads to a reset. If you touch your opponent and it doesn't lead to a reset, it should be an oddity.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Only have time to watch one match - not bad, but keep in mind, with Skarlet, everything leads to a reset. If you touch your opponent and it doesn't lead to a reset, it should be an oddity.
i will remember that for my future lab experiments

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
hey man can u link me any videos of your skarlet , pretty please:)

fr stack

man im lovin skarlet so far shes like a puzzle i just have to solve
quick question is f33 a good string to use to get in
im only using her since yesterday but i was having trouble against people crouching an stuff i couldnt get in and kept gettin uppercutted

Warborn

Freebies for all
man im lovin skarlet so far shes like a puzzle i just have to solve
quick question is f33 a good string to use to get in
im only using her since yesterday but i was having trouble against people crouching an stuff i couldnt get in and kept gettin uppercutted
Try throwing a dagger and canceling into a red dash mix up. If they are sticking to crouching low and blocking you can use a down slash, but it is punishable. You could also just red dash and throw at the end of it instead of a slide or a slash. If they are trained to block something a throw will keep them in check.

fr stack

Try throwing a dagger and canceling into a red dash mix up. If they are sticking to crouching low and blocking you can use a down slash, but it is punishable. You could also just red dash and throw at the end of it instead of a slide or a slash. If they are trained to block something a throw will keep them in check.
thanks man ive just been sittin in practice wit her for de last 2 days lol shes got some crazy shit