What's new

Skarlet General Discussion Thread

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
If I want space, I definitely end in tentacle. Unless it's a matchup where I don't want them fullscreen (Scorpion, Raiden, and a few others), my first priority is to always keep them as far away from me as possible, ha. Other than that, I do tend to go for Blood Shot conversions if I have the bar to spend on health regen or if I want to keep them close. Doing something like 212 F43~BF2 AMP is my go-to; less raw damage than 212 212 44~DB4 but the health gain brings the net damage to slightly higher (260ish damage + 35ish health back versus 294 raw damage; can't remember off the top of my head).

Can always 212 212 4~BF2 but that's if you hit that second 212 at the highest point which I don't do very consistently. I also prefer 212 F43 if they have defensive meter since you recover way faster than getting caught in another 212 if they break away.
Thing is... this is my main combo: 124 ex bf2 lmao.

I use 124 way too much because of the speed and the fact I can jail into it from S1 (even though it's a 1F link), but until I get used to using 212, I'm gonna be a life stealing ho. Plus ending it like then seems like it leaves me in a good range to do F2 bf2 on their block or as they are coming in/jumping in. And of course I life steal again if that hits. Basically I'm trying to piss them off by constantly life stealing and trying to make them do more reckless shit due to that. lol

Throw in some enhanced parries and boom... they have to kill you like 1.5 times instead of just once. haha

212 F43 sounds good though. I'll start trying to do that more.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
Thing is... this is my main combo: 124 ex bf2 lmao.

I use 124 way too much because of the speed and the fact I can jail into it from S1 (even though it's a 1F link), but until I get used to using 212, I'm gonna be a life stealing ho. Plus ending it like then seems like it leaves me in a good range to do F2 bf2 on their block or as they are coming in/jumping in. And of course I life steal again if that hits. Basically I'm trying to piss them off by constantly life stealing and trying to make them do more reckless shit due to that. lol

Throw in some enhanced parries and boom... they have to kill you like 1.5 times instead of just once. haha

212 F43 sounds good though. I'll start trying to do that more.
I use 124~BF2 all the time too for the same reasons, heh. Getting health back plus leaves them in good range for meaty or block pressure, or even a B2 if you have a jumping bean on your hands.

I miss out on a lot of damage by going for 124 instead of 212 but I'm trying to incorporate 212 more where I can, especially for whiff punishing and super negative-on-block stuff. Plus I can get some silly teleport stuff going on with 212 conversions and that shit is mad fun.

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I use 124~BF2 all the time too for the same reasons, heh. Getting health back plus leaves them in good range for meaty or block pressure, or even a B2 if you have a jumping bean on your hands.

I miss out on a lot of damage by going for 124 instead of 212 but I'm trying to incorporate 212 more where I can, especially for whiff punishing and super negative-on-block stuff. Plus I can get some silly teleport stuff going on with 212 conversions and that shit is mad fun.
I barely use the teleport except to get away or at the end of round when I know they wanna throw a projectile after ducking mine. Teleport, combo them for the win on their whiff.

Do tell about these shenanigans.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
I barely use the teleport except to get away or at the end of round when I know they wanna throw a projectile after ducking mine. Teleport, combo them for the win on their whiff.

Do tell about these shenanigans.
Man, I abuse the hell out of teleport. I definitely eat shit for it sometimes but when it works out it just makes me so happy. Some are guaranteed, most are gimmicky and tend to work when weaved in sparingly (once you have an idea of your opponent's sensibilities).
  1. 212 44~DUB - corner carry while keeping your side and ends with great spacing but costs a bar. The spacing this gives you by omitting the second 212 (so it's a damage loss as well, gotta weigh if you think it's worth it) is perfect for B1, F2 etc and out of range of a lot of wake-ups. People react to teleport's sound and animation but can't tell where you'll end up and always seem to default to regular teleport. Can't even count how many times people try to roll away from me on wake-up after this setup and end up rolling into me instead to eat B12 KB or other punish (lol).
  2. 124~DU catches people sleeping all the time and missing their wake-up window; I usually throw to try to queue up an escape fail.
  3. DB1 (non-amp), delay or dash, DU - delayed right, their moves come out the wrong direction if they wake-up. I usually dash into an immediate DU after the parry hits and get this consistently. If they're scouting this, they can easily just wait a second then wake-up buttons to punish you though. This one is good for people that can't help but wake-up every time they're knocked down.
  4. DB1 AMP, DU - not only do you have enough time to safely teleport and block (great if you end up cornering yourself by parrying), you can squeeze in another DB1 (really tight against 6f wake-up but possible) or flawless block any wake-up attempt. Once they start respecting that, you can turn it into a little mix of short-hop, b3, throw, etc.

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Man, I abuse the hell out of teleport. I definitely eat shit for it sometimes but when it works out it just makes me so happy. Some are guaranteed, most are gimmicky and tend to work when weaved in sparingly (once you have an idea of your opponent's sensibilities).
  1. 212 44~DUB - corner carry while keeping your side and ends with great spacing but costs a bar. The spacing this gives you by omitting the second 212 (so it's a damage loss as well, gotta weigh if you think it's worth it) is perfect for B1, F2 etc and out of range of a lot of wake-ups. People react to teleport's sound and animation but can't tell where you'll end up and always seem to default to regular teleport. Can't even count how many times people try to roll away from me on wake-up after this setup and end up rolling into me instead to eat B12 KB or other punish (lol).
  2. 124~DU catches people sleeping all the time and missing their wake-up window; I usually throw to try to queue up an escape fail.
  3. DB1 (non-amp), delay or dash, DU - delayed right, their moves come out the wrong direction if they wake-up. I usually dash into an immediate DU after the parry hits and get this consistently. If they're scouting this, they can easily just wait a second then wake-up buttons to punish you though. This one is good for people that can't help but wake-up every time they're knocked down.
  4. DB1 AMP, DU - not only do you have enough time to safely teleport and block (great if you end up cornering yourself by parrying), you can squeeze in another DB1 (really tight against 6f wake-up but possible) or flawless block any wake-up attempt. Once they start respecting that, you can turn it into a little mix of short-hop, b3, throw, etc.
  1. Dash forward or backward?
  2. That sounds godlike

hatyr

tease out the impurities
  1. Dash forward or backward?
  2. That sounds godlike
Dash forward. If you're around tonight (between 3p MDT and like 8p MDT), we can hop into the lab and I'll show you some stuff. I'd be keen to see what you're working on as well.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Dash forward. If you're around tonight (between 3p MDT and like 8p MDT), we can hop into the lab and I'll show you some stuff. I'd be keen to see what you're working on as well.
Well hopefully I'll be playing my xbox fanboy clan mate @Jimmypotato at that time lmao (who's also a skarlet player). If you'd like to join a hill with us I'm sure we could do that.

What ya gotta learn about me is... I'm not really a labber. I steal tech and make up my own style as I play games seeing what does and doesn't work. So you probably won't learn anything from me. lol
I'll join you in the lab one night if you like but it'll basically just be you showing me stuff to steal lmfao

hatyr

tease out the impurities
Well hopefully I'll be playing my xbox fanboy clan mate @Jimmypotato at that time lmao (who's also a skarlet player). If you'd like to join a hill with us I'm sure we could do that.

What ya gotta learn about me is... I'm not really a labber. I steal tech and make up my own style as I play games seeing what does and doesn't work. So you probably won't learn anything from me. lol
I'll join you in the lab one night if you like but it'll basically just be you showing me stuff to steal lmfao
I'm all about spreading the Skarlet love. Just figured it may be easier to demonstrate than type out, ha.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
it is hilarious to see the biggest Skarlet dude finally come to grips with what I said about her like.... the 2nd day I used her.

If they just let the bf2 amp launch midscreen she'd be golden.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'm all about spreading the Skarlet love. Just figured it may be easier to demonstrate than type out, ha.
Either way is fine for me! Was just letting you know that I don't really practice so I don't have my own tech unless it's something that I just happened to do during a match that ended up working. Like I know some stuff about Jax but it's because I've played 1600 matches with him lol. I've only played 250 ish with Skarlet so far.

If I learn new tech it's because I read/watched it and then applied it during a game. Basically my philosophy is if I can't do it during an actual match... it doesn't really help me.

Plus I'm too ADD and want to play vs stare at an AI and menus lmao

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'm the opposite heh. I spend too much time in practice setting up scenarios then never end up happening in real matches ><
Some people (a lot of people) are like that. I don't understand it at all, but different strokes as they say!

We all learn tech differently. :)

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
it is hilarious to see the biggest Skarlet dude finally come to grips with what I said about her like.... the 2nd day I used her.

If they just let the bf2 amp launch midscreen she'd be golden.
I'd still rather have functional pokes and hit advantage like a normal character over more damage

darth_infamous

#InfamousXO
Hi all, just picked up Skarlet for Season 2. Is there any tips or tricks you have for connecting the 44 for her 212 212 44 DB4F combo? I'm still getting used to her but it feels hard to judge the distance you need to connect the 44.

Also. I've ususally shied away from characters that have close mid far and very far directed projectiles, so trying to get used to judging distance to use with her Blood Tentacle, as well as the (to me at least) awkward ways of holding a direction after the input.

Hi all, just picked up Skarlet for Season 2. Is there any tips or tricks you have for connecting the 44 for her 212 212 44 DB4F combo? I'm still getting used to her but it feels hard to judge the distance you need to connect the 44.

Also. I've ususally shied away from characters that have close mid far and very far directed projectiles, so trying to get used to judging distance to use with her Blood Tentacle, as well as the (to me at least) awkward ways of holding a direction after the input.
The timing for the 212 212 44 DB4F is not too bad but is a little more strict than it seems, and is sometimes difficult to do online. Here are some tips:
  • You don't HAVE to do DB4F if that part is giving you trouble for some reason; the standard medium-range DB4 will connect, albeit it makes the window a little tighter. Occasionally the standard range version will whiff even when you connect 44 if you are a few frames late, which is primarily an issue against female characters, so using the far version is generally much better (since you then only have to worry about landing 44, and the tentacle will always hit if you do)
  • It helps to try to get the second 212 at max height. You should be pressing 4 while your opponent is falling and still above your head. This is a true juggle - think about it like you want the opponent to come down and land on your kick.
  • Ending with 4~DB4 instead of 44~DB4 is a BIT more consistent and sacrifices about 3.7%
As far as general usage with DB4, the good news is the hitbox is substantial and you can hit everywhere on the screen. There is really no dead zone along the ground, although it's sometimes wonky trying to hit aerial opponents. The tricky part is anticipating movement since the 26-frame startup is pretty slow and reactable. You have understand your opponent's game plan: When you find yourself full-screen, are they trying to close space or create space? You can use this to your advantage when deciding the appropriate range to throw your tentacle if you are unsure. Put it in front of them if they are trying to close space - the far end of the tentacle has a good bit of extension so you can clip people with the very tip of it. If they dash/jump forward during startup, your anticipatory tentacle will likely land on them. If they don't move or they move backward, you've impeded their game plan.

Overall, you want to learn when, why, and how to utilize ALL of Scarlet's zoning tools (including BF2, DB2, BF3, DB4, and far-reaching normals like F2 and standing 3) to make it difficult for your opponent to close space on you. Changing your cadence is very important.

ManiacFGC

Button Masher Extraordinaire
2,1 in the neutral is kinda godlike. Hit confirmable, crazy hitbox that can ani-air, AND it's safe.

@Szkarad I generally use bf3 amp as a combo extender in the corner to get SOME sort of damage out. Otherwise it's kinda meh. I think the regular bf3 is like -2 on hit so it's pretty buns