What's new

Skarlet General Discussion Thread

Raider

Noob
Hey guys, i might actually abandon you for Nightwolf in the future, Skarlet is a fun character to play and use, but at the same time i get this feeling that there are tools on her arsenal that should've been better, her combo could do a little rework too.
I am also struggling with her, and i am not even sure what it is about tbh. I feel like every time i am doing much better with Jade. Since i play them the most, but i feel like for me personally Jade is much better pick.

Like @thlityoursloat said, she has a lot of interesting stuff but everything combined just doesn't make much sense. It's like she lacks something that i can't even figure out and explain.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
I am also struggling with her, and i am not even sure what it is about tbh. I feel like every time i am doing much better with Jade. Since i play them the most, but i feel like for me personally Jade is much better pick.

Like @thlityoursloat said, she has a lot of interesting stuff but everything combined just doesn't make much sense. It's like she lacks something that i can't even figure out and explain.
Damage

So I know Skarlet can 212 before the last hit of Geras f212, but I can’t get it in practice. Is there something different you have to do to interrupt it?

thlityoursloat

kick kick

She feels sluggish and her buttons feel deceptively worse than they seem. Her buttons seem top notch at first glance until you realize this game has Kabal, Cetrion and a whole bunch of characters with insane d4s.
Her zoning also seems top notch at first glance but once you find someone who knows that a blocked tongue is their cue to move up, and someone who knows how to harass you back with their own faster projectiles.. yeah.
She's just that, good on paper.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So I know Skarlet can 212 before the last hit of Geras f212, but I can’t get it in practice. Is there something different you have to do to interrupt it?
WHAT?!

holy shit. I need to learn this!!!

How is the Jacqui matchup for Skarlet guys (and gals, we aint discriminatin)?
I don't think it's all that bad. Feels like I can zone her out a bit and it's the same battle as everyone else up close. Just gotta read when they're gonna stagger/cancel.

But I'm a newbie skarlet still so I don't have much input.

Only about 141/120 with her so far.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
WHAT?!

I don't think it's all that bad. Feels like I can zone her out a bit and it's the same battle as everyone else up close. Just gotta read when they're gonna stagger/cancel.

Few weeks ago Deoxxys was laughing how KingGambler did that to beat him. I can't nail it in practice mode so I really don't get how it works lol.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
WHAT?!

In action:
Block low and there's a window of opportunity after the F2 hits to do a standing 2. Just takes some practice. I haven't gotten this in a real match yet and you, of course, risk eating a whole conversion ha.

Edit: it's not the speed of the normal, it's the way she leans her hurtbox back with the S2 animation that seems to avoid the second hit of F212 when timed properly. I notice this when whiff punishing with 212 as well.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
In action:
Block low and there's a window of opportunity after the F2 hits to do a standing 2. Just takes some practice. I haven't gotten this in a real match yet and you, of course, risk eating a whole conversion ha.
Worth it tho to stop him from wanting to use F2.

Of course I assume that kind of creates a Liu Kang situation of F2 stagger, F22 (the low hitting one), or the full F212. But eh, I don't mind liu kang's mind game string. At least I know what I'm looking for and what I can do to stop/interrupt it.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
Worth it tho to stop him from wanting to use F2.

Of course I assume that kind of creates a Liu Kang situation of F2 stagger, F22 (the low hitting one), or the full F212. But eh, I don't mind liu kang's mind game string. At least I know what I'm looking for and what I can do to stop/interrupt it.
Yea. Typical Skarlet introducing a new layer to the mind game. I love her so much.

Last edited:

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
In action:

Edit: it's not the speed of the normal, it's the way she leans her hurtbox back with the S2 animation that seems to avoid the second hit of F212 when timed properly. I notice this when whiff punishing with 212 as well.
Never actually seen it, thanks.
This makes me wonder what else can interrupt that string from other characters. Wonder if Noob's B1 can, his hurtbox moves back on that move too.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I suck against Skarlet, I dont know how to deal with her and she seems so damn safe with tentacle strike being safe with huge pushback. So I labbed her, and I remember seeing Jacqui being able to reversal kick Cetrion between Natural Barrier and its amplified version. So, I decided to test it out with f43 into Tentacle, and she can consistently reversal between the 3 and tentacle. It's a fullcombo punish if it's baited, but if it works for f43 it probably works for every cancel as well. But then again, it forces Skarlet to let go of her tools that make her so dominant in the neutral as well

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I suck against Skarlet, I dont know how to deal with her and she seems so damn safe with tentacle strike being safe with huge pushback. So I labbed her, and I remember seeing Jacqui being able to reversal kick Cetrion between Natural Barrier and its amplified version. So, I decided to test it out with f43 into Tentacle, and she can consistently reversal between the 3 and tentacle. It's a fullcombo punish if it's baited, but if it works for f43 it probably works for every cancel as well. But then again, it forces Skarlet to let go of her tools that make her so dominant in the neutral as well
Just remember that Skarlet also has a parry that can be enhanced to give her lifesteal. So F43 parry could blow that up.

In fact, I don't even end my strings in tentacle. I either straight stagger, parry, or use the fast projectile.

I don't even end my combos with tentacle. I always lifesteal with fast projectile. So I guess I'm unorthodox with her. Point is, watch out for parry. lol

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
How is the Jacqui matchup for Skarlet guys (and gals, we aint discriminatin)?
I wreck most Jacquis, if i was a Jacqui player i would use the second variation to force Skarlet to move into my range. Very easy to zone her and keep her out and just tele away as u get closer to the corner. Blood ball and blood shot check her fast advancing moves then just lock her down and laugh

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
WHAT?!

Its difficult to do in match, its basically on a read that they will do the string, highly recomend practice mode to get the timing, and gl online lol

hatyr

tease out the impurities
Yea, F43 does not have much cancel advantage so you can literally just poke if she tries to cancel that string into anything (sometimes Blood Tentacle trades on poke). Heart Pierce can always cancel into parry though; low pokes will beat it of course as well as flawless blocking in the gap in F43 itself (if you have an U2 or U3 reversal that's fast enough to beat the parry).

Don't let Skarlet get away with F43 into tentacle or F2 into tentacle. The latter has a flawless block gap.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Its difficult to do in match, its basically on a read that they will do the string, highly recomend practice mode to get the timing, and gl online lol
I don't run into many Geras players at all tbh. With Skarlet it's usually Scorpion, Sonya, and Shang Tsung. Run into him more with Jax but even then it's usually a more hardcore zoner than Geras.

But who needs practice? Imma do this to the next Geras I run into. No practice mode at all :p

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I don't run into many Geras players at all tbh. With Skarlet it's usually Scorpion, Sonya, and Shang Tsung. Run into him more with Jax but even then it's usually a more hardcore zoner than Geras.

But who needs practice? Imma do this to the next Geras I run into. No practice mode at all :p
Lets just say i tried it a ton against gr8one the other night and didnt hit it once lol. I wasnt hitting the right buttons he would say lol

hatyr

tease out the impurities
I don't even end my combos with tentacle. I always lifesteal with fast projectile. So I guess I'm unorthodox with her. Point is, watch out for parry. lol
If I want space, I definitely end in tentacle. Unless it's a matchup where I don't want them fullscreen (Scorpion, Raiden, and a few others), my first priority is to always keep them as far away from me as possible, ha. Other than that, I do tend to go for Blood Shot conversions if I have the bar to spend on health regen or if I want to keep them close. Doing something like 212 F43~BF2 AMP is my go-to; less raw damage than 212 212 44~DB4 but the health gain brings the net damage to slightly higher (260ish damage + 35ish health back versus 294 raw damage; can't remember off the top of my head).

Can always 212 212 4~BF2 but that's if you hit that second 212 at the highest point which I don't do very consistently. I also prefer 212 F43 if they have defensive meter since you recover way faster than getting caught in another 212 if they break away.