What's new

Should Winners Be Able To Switch Variations After A Match?

Should people be able to switch variations after a win?

• Sure!

• Hell no!

Results are only viewable after voting.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
SonicFox actually created a poll to this question and shockingly, more people said yes than no. Personally, Uncle JBeezY says HELL NO! If you win with that character and variation, you stay locked in baby boy! You don't need another advantage because you just won the round. That's just me though. So I decided to bring that question here.

What do you guys think? Do you feel a winner should be able to change variations with the same character they won with just like the loser is able to change characters?

Let's talk about it ;)

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
No. why is this even a thought or question? you won you dont get to change lol that would just overcomplicate EVERYTHING and with counterpicking? lol nah man nah

Sanjo

Noob
Sorry but the rule stipulates "character locked on victory". Changing variation doesn't violate the rule sooo.... I agree with sonicfox. YES ! Plus, it alows secondary variations to be played, fulfilling their purpose which is covering match ups the 1st variation doesn't.

I see why he is asking. Because what’s the point of one kharacter having different variations if not to please kharacter loyalists? Now I also see your guys’ point of view and agree that winner shouldn’t be allowed to change anything. But you’ve got to agree there is no point in counter picking with a variation if I can more effectively counter pick with a completely different kharacter. Sonic is just entertaining the thought of loyalists being somehow rewarded.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Sorry but the rule stipulates "character locked on victory". Changing variation doesn't violate the rule sooo.... I agree with sonicfox. YES ! Plus, it alows secondary variations to be played, fulfilling their purpose which is covering match ups the 1st variation doesn't.
Hmmmmm....thinks....maybe u have a point. But still changing variations gives the winner an advantage when he already won. That's advantage enough and would cause a whole bunch of fuckery.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
My initial reaction is no, but I can see the appeal of saying yes. It would make it slightly harder to straight up counter pick some variations, and it would give players a reason to learn multiple variations of their chosen character. I still land on "no" overall, but I wouldn't hate it.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I see why he is asking. Because what’s the point of one kharacter having different variations if not to please kharacter loyalists? Now I also see your guys’ point of view and agree that winner shouldn’t be allowed to change anything. But you’ve got to agree there is no point in counter picking with a variation if I can more effectively counter pick with a completely different kharacter. Sonic is just entertaining the thought of loyalists being somehow rewarded.
You can also counter pick variations WHEN YOU LOSE! But nobody does that and I wonder why.

I've actually always liked the idea of this. I've always wished something promoted character loyalty a bit more.
Custom variations promotes character loyalty because you have so much more possibilities to outplay the whole cast with just 1 character.

If you are playing a character that has a really bad counter-pick you either need to game plan for that with a pocket character or just be bonkers good. I think it would be nuts to give an at advantage player a chance at squirming out of a counter-pick without forcing them to first gauge their opponent's skill with the counter.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Who cares what people say on a twitter poll? Most of them dont even play in tournament. Here in mexico they had the first MK11 tournament and opened a poll to choose the CONSOLE. And since more people play xbox here, xbox won, despite PS4 being the standard. And large amounts of votes came from people with no intention of playing, even outside the country.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
No, only in casuals where I think it would make sense to be able to change stuff, like especially the stage D:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Who cares what people say on a twitter poll? Most of them dont even play in tournament. Here in mexico they had the first MK11 tournament and opened a poll to choose the CONSOLE. And since more people play xbox here, xbox won, despite PS4 being the standard. And large amounts of votes came from people with no intention of playing, even outside the country.
But since its Fox and he has a big influence, NRS does look at that too. I doubt it will actually happen tbh because other pros are hella against that idea too.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Essentially it's a question about how much advantage to give the losing player after a game. Letting the winner switch variations while the loser could switch characters entirely would probably still be a net advantage for the losing player, but letting the winner switch variations would mitigate that advantage slightly. It would give the winner a small opportunity to try and counter the other player's counter pick if they so choose.

You can also counter pick variations WHEN YOU LOSE! But nobody does that and I wonder why.

Custom variations promotes character loyalty because you have so much more possibilities to outplay the whole cast with just 1 character.
Like.... I just said it in my previous post. Why counter pick with variation when you can pick a different kharacter, who is probably a harder counter than the same kharacter with 1 or 2 better tools) there is just nothing that promotes learning more variations rather than learning another kharacter altogether