What's new

Question - Sonya Blade Should Sonya's aerial attacks get nerfed?

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
I don't understand your logic here. How does showing the options you have to counter something a form of downplaying?
To understand someones logic, you have to see the whole picture. Allow me to explain. @Scott The Scot posted the video showcasing liu kangs options against Sonya's jip and dive kick.

Out of context this video appeared to say to me "Hey, Sonya's totally fine guys. Her jip and dive kick are fair. Just d2 guys, duh"

But after reading the comments (and watching the video with volume) its clear that Scott understands Sonya is very very strong and was in no way trying to downplay(my bad Scott). He was just posting a smart ass video that legitimately shows that LK can d2 anything.

Sooo.. @Error Macro you follow me here?

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
To understand someones logic, you have to see the whole picture. Allow me to explain. @Scott The Scot posted the video showcasing liu kangs options against Sonya's jip and dive kick.

Out of context this video appeared to say to me "Hey, Sonya's totally fine guys. Her jip and dive kick are fair. Just d2 guys, duh"

But after reading the comments (and watching the video with volume) its clear that Scott understands Sonya is very very strong and was in no way trying to downplay(my bad Scott). He was just posting a smart ass video that legitimately shows that LK can d2 anything.

Sooo.. @Error Macro you follow me here?
Wait, you interpret ''Hey, Sonya's totally fine guys. Her jip and dive kick are fair. Just d2 guys, duh" as downplaying?

"Sonya is a bad character, guys, her jip has shit range and her dive kick sucks'' = Downplaying.

One of these things is not like the other.

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
It feels like she recovers fast and with her low hit box most characters can't punish consistently. You shouldn't have to walk up or run to punish.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
It feels like she recovers fast and with her low hit box most characters can't punish consistently. You should have to walk up or run to punish.
You want something difficult to punish? Try johnny's nutpunch on block. Sonya's dive kick is not hard to punish unless she hits the very tip of your toes. Even then it's still -15 and basically any reversal will punish.

There really is nothing wrong with how punishable her divekick is; you honestly just need to work on punishing it.

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
You want something difficult to punish? Try johnny's nutpunch on block. Sonya's dive kick is not hard to punish unless she hits the very tip of your toes. Even then it's still -15 and basically any reversal will punish.

There really is nothing wrong with how punishable her divekick is; you honestly just need to work on punishing it.
Jin is -33 Lao is -35. She should have the same frames. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Jin is -33 Lao is -35. She should have the same frames. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.
She's -26. I'm not sure what punish you can get with -33 that you can't also get with -26. If you're missing punishes, that's on you. Essentially, get good mate.

Reactions: jmt

JermLord

Noob
Instead Sonya should have an EX dive kick, along with already having an EX arc kick and leg grab fuck it might as well give her a bicycle kick then cut off her arms

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
She's -26. I'm not sure what punish you can get with -33 that you can't also get with -26. If you're missing punishes, that's on you. Essentially, get good mate.
Haha! Y'all are too funny. You know what bro, you're right. It's just me. I'm just terrible at this game, at no point did I say I can NEVER punish her. She shouldnt be more safe than any other character. WTF makes Sonya so special? 7 frames is 7 frames. This thread was made For a reason and it's not just DK on block in question, it's also the whiff recovery. So spare me the get good non sense.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Haha! Y'all are too funny. You know what bro, you're right. It's just me. I'm just terrible at this game, at no point did I say I can NEVER punish her. She shouldnt be more safe than any other character. WTF makes Sonya so special? 7 frames is 7 frames. This thread was made For a reason and it's not just DK on block in question, it's also the whiff recovery. So spare me the get good non sense.
At what point did I even insinuate that you can never punish her?

Whiff recovery is comparable to Lao's and Cyber Sub's.

Honestly it sounds like you need to hit the lab and learn how to punish it.

I wouldn't even care if you made it -33 on block. If you can't punish it when it's -26 on block, you're not gonna punish it when it's -33 lol

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
At what point did I even insinuate that you can never punish her?

Whiff recovery is comparable to Lao's and Cyber Sub's.

Honestly it sounds like you need to hit the lab and learn how to punish it.

I wouldn't even care if you made it -33 on block. If you can't punish it when it's -26 on block, you're not gonna punish it when it's -33 lol
You insinuated I personally have a problem punishing her and your advice was to get good as if you saying its punishable is the last say in the matter and people should follow your word as law.

I didn't make this thread. I contributed my thoughts. If you as a Sonya player (I don't know if you are) have a problem with what I said, tough shit.

I've never gone to any thread wether I agreed or not and told someone to just get good. It's not my place to judge anyone's skill level.

Sorry bro, I guess I'll come to you for my future MKX related issues after the patch and once I "get good" since you seem to be the MK God around here.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
You insinuated I personally have a problem punishing her and your advice was to get good as if you saying its punishable is the last say in the matter and people should follow your word as law.

I didn't make this thread. I contributed my thoughts. If you as a Sonya player (I don't know if you are) have a problem with what I said, tough shit.

I've never gone to any thread wether I agreed or not and told someone to just get good. It's not my place to judge anyone's skill level.

Sorry bro, I guess I'll come to you for my future MKX related issues after the patch and once I "get good" since you seem to be the MK God around here.
So you have no problem punishing it but you think it should be made more punishable... because why?

It's not only just punishable, it's friggen negative as hell. This isn't alien's overhead flip, it's not a just frame, if you're missing the punish it's on you and your execution needs to improve.

I have no trouble regulating what you're saying if what you're saying is crap. If someone complained about Scorpion's teleport being difficult to punish, I'd offer them the same advice, "It's not, you need to improve your execution".

And I'm glad that you think I'm an MK God. I really appreciate the complement. If in future you want my advice before posting asinine crap, I'd be happy to give it to you :).

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
So you have no problem punishing it but you think it should be made more punishable... because why?

It's not only just punishable, it's friggen negative as hell. This isn't alien's overhead flip, it's not a just frame, if you're missing the punish it's on you and your execution needs to improve.

I have no trouble regulating what you're saying if what you're saying is crap. If someone complained about Scorpion's teleport being difficult to punish, I'd offer them the same advice, "It's not, you need to improve your execution".

And I'm glad that you think I'm an MK God. I really appreciate the complement. If in future you want my advice before posting asinine crap, I'd be happy to give it to you :).
So me saying Kung Lao gets punished more often than Sonya is asinine? I mean, that's what started all this. Having a 9f advantage over Lao on a blocked DK I believe that would be fact.

You're whole point was she is punishable and my argument was she should be as negivitive as the rest of the cast. Not that I have a problem punishing, just that it should be fair and balanced.

Right, I guess I'm talking out of my ass here. Glad you're here to regulate.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Here's Bo Rai Cho attempting to punish a well spaced divekick from Sonya with his 10 frame Belly Bash reversal. This is really good spacing, but when Bo Rai Cho has to resort to using a special move with bad hit advantage and bad placement(for Bo) against the better spaced dive kicks he should at least get it guaranteed on reversal imo. @10 seconds.

Last edited:

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
So me saying Kung Lao gets punished more often than Sonya is asinine? I mean, that's what started all this. Having a 9f advantage over Lao on a blocked DK I believe that would be fact.

You're whole point was she is punishable and my argument was she should be as negivitive as the rest of the cast. Not that I have a problem punishing, just that it should be fair and balanced.

Right, I guess I'm talking out of my ass here. Glad you're here to regulate.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Wait, you interpret ''Hey, Sonya's totally fine guys. Her jip and dive kick are fair. Just d2 guys, duh" as downplaying?

"Sonya is a bad character, guys, her jip has shit range and her dive kick sucks'' = Downplaying.

One of these things is not like the other.
I apologized to @Scott The Scot for misinterpreting his video. That matter was settled without you sticking your nose in it.

Regarding the totally objective fighting game term "down playing". Yeah one of those things isn't like the other.. because we both have slightly different opinions on what it means. Stop playing Semantics.

We will just agree to disagree here. But if you have a problem with me, we can play MKX and settle it there. No need to be a petty douche bag.

Regards,
DanableLector

Last edited:

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I apologized to @Scott The Scot for misinterpreting his video. That matter was settled without you sticking your nose in it.

Regarding the totally objective fighting game term "down playing". Yeah one of those things isn't like the other.. because we both have slightly different opinions on what it means. Stop playing Semantics.

We will just agree to disagree here. But if you have a problem with me, we can play MKX and settle it there. No need to be a petty douche bag.

Regards,
DanableLector
I suggest you to eat many Amanita Muscarias. You need those in your life.

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
You forgot the part when you need to guess between her JI1 and divekick. You think that she will use her JI1, so you use your D2, and she uses her divekick.

Kang's BF2... I guessed right and blocked her divekick/arc kick in the ''right way'', cool, now let me punish her with 7% damage. And when my BF2 does not punish her and I'm in the Dualist or Flame Fist variation? She blocks my flying kick and punish me just because I tried to punish her -20 move.

And don't forget that not all characters in the game has a fast advacing move/special move.
I just started reading this thread and was going to say what you just demonstrated lol.

Dedlock

Noob
Seeing people cry over Sonya's dive kick which is one of her least threatening tools is Leaving me dumbfounded.

All Sonya players know and are advised to keep dive kick usage to a minimum, because they're sluggish, unsafe on block and whiff and have no ex variation as added back up.

It seems to me that some people will not be satisfied unless they have Sonya not being able to jump or use her legs, perhaps they can remodel her and have her fighting on a wheel chair.