What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

@GGA Max I have just watched the latest GBS. You are showing some nice stuff with both Bone Shaper and Impostor, but of course people are just starting to pick up on how unsafe his ass is) but I think you should try Sorcerer Quan Chi: get them to the corner, put an armor spell and you have got Bane all over again) at least until they buff Shinnok))

GGA Max

@GGA Max I have just watched the latest GBS. You are showing some nice stuff with both Bone Shaper and Impostor, but of course people are just starting to pick up on how unsafe his ass is) but I think you should try Sorcerer Quan Chi: get them to the corner, put an armor spell and you have got Bane all over again) at least until they buff Shinnok))
Thanks man, I am going to use bone shaper anytime imposter pulls a useless special.

I've got a small Quan Chi on the side, actually lol. Starting off with summoner, but yeah the corner setups are endless, and with the armor his poking game is damn better.

Kinetic Balding1

Day 1 Phenomenal Cyborg
How to make Shinnok good (this may apply to other variations too.)

Make his db2 a fullscreen move.
Db2 should be -15 or safer
Df4 should be a low and should catch running opponents.
Increase the cancel advantage on all of his strings and normals.
F22 should be a true mid and should work on all hitboxes
312 should work on all hitboxes
Make b1 a launcher
Increase damage slightly on b2
Decrease startup on bf1 from 16 to 9
Decrease recovery frames from bf2, df4, and db1
Slightly better hitbox and tracking on bone flick. You still will be able to run through it. It just wouldn't be possible to be just an inch behind the fingers and not get hit.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
How to make Shinnok good (this may apply to other variations too.)

Make his db2 a fullscreen move.
Db2 should be -15 or safer
Df4 should be a low and should catch running opponents.
Increase the cancel advantage on all of his strings and normals.
F22 should be a true mid and should work on all hitboxes
312 should work on all hitboxes
Make b1 a launcher
Increase damage slightly on b2
Decrease startup on bf1 from 16 to 9
Decrease recovery frames from bf2, df4, and db1
Slightly better hitbox and tracking on bone flick. You still will be able to run through it. It just wouldn't be possible to be just an inch behind the fingers and not get hit.
Unnecessary
Agreed
Unnecessary, DF4 is already relatively fast and safe enough that if you use it from a distance you're both pretty much neutral
Why? So he has no gaps whatsoever? Still wouldn't make him safe
Agreed
Agreed
It is a launcher...
Hmm, not sure since it's not really used anyway
Could be useful
Unnecessary, I mean it'd make him better but that could end up being too good
It's still just as useless if you can still run through it but it does need better tracking I think.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
So funny story... currently Texas Showdown is going on right now and Alex Valle (Calipowerrrrrr!) played Impostor Shinnok against Cusco's Covert Ops Sonya, someone Valle also plays.

He lost all four rounds relatively quickly lol... Was rooting for him.

regulas

Your Emporer
So funny story... currently Texas Showdown is going on right now and Alex Valle (Calipowerrrrrr!) played Impostor Shinnok against Cusco's Covert Ops Sonya, someone Valle also plays.

He lost all four rounds relatively quickly lol... Was rooting for him.
Cool that someone used it, but I've pretty much always held that Imposter is the weakest variation, in-spite of having the only good damage. You really loose out on the tools to be able to easily apply it :(.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Cool that someone used it, but I've pretty much always held that Imposter is the weakest variation, in-spite of having the only good damage. You really loose out on the tools to be able to easily apply it :(.
Especially against Sonya... I don't think the leg grab you get when playing Impostor and using Mimicry is all that useful against her. I'm just surprised Valle stuck with Shinnok because... The Sonya player would just hit him out of shit.

regulas

Your Emporer
Especially against Sonya... I don't think the leg grab you get when playing Impostor and using Mimicry is all that useful against her. I'm just surprised Valle stuck with Shinnok because... The Sonya player would just hit him out of shit.
Well for as many bugs and flaws as he has I do think the other two aren't entirely non-viable. Bone in particular has a very strong punishment control (the slam is very good and whiff punishing especially since it also gets armor) and suffers the least from the bugs, and in general beating really requires match-up knowledge.

In my own low level game-play it's pretty easy to counter pressure with B3 string and then just catch people with slam or sparks when they try to take action, I've rarely encountered anyone with the patience to advance safely.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Well for as many bugs and flaws as he has I do think the other two aren't entirely non-viable. Bone in particular has a very strong punishment control (the slam is very good and whiff punishing especially since it also gets armor) and suffers the least from the bugs, and in general beating really requires match-up knowledge.
Do you mean the MB slam BREAKS armor, or are you saying it HAS armor?

regulas

Your Emporer
Ya, Necro would be fine except it's the one that has the most blatant bugs in it. Shoulder missing randomly coupled with flick not always connecting.

I don't think it matters what variation he uses anymore. His design is making Injustice Scorpion look good by comparison.
I find that he does work well enough if you play around with his strong points. Bone especially plays more as an anti pressure then anything, it's certanly not how people usually use fighters as everyone prefers being aggressive (even when zoning), but I don't strictly think it's non-viable.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
What do people think of Necromancer? I've been messing around with Shinnok, and it seems pretty underwhelming compared to Bone Shaper and Imposter.

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
I think Necromancer is strictly for anti-zoning. Given that most powerful characters don't zone you anyway, and the general issues with speed of the special moves, the anti-zoning goal seems impossible. So, I have no idea what Necromancer is good for, really. I'll still have to do research on it, just because I want the complete rundown of Shinnok.

At the end of the day, though, Necromancer is indeed pretty useless.

regulas

Your Emporer
Necromancer is the footsies mode. Barring the one case of B3~flick missing on one side, Flick enables you to make use of most of your normals safely and also increases chip notably. It also builds distance with it's push keeping you just outside of mix-up range. Obviously it suffers from the most bugs since there are some flick/hand issues. A particular strength is being able to modulate the range and speed of your footsies since you do have access to most normals, whereas Boneshaper will mostly be using the same basic set.

It's biggest weakness over Bone is that it's only armour move is the charge which is both buggy and doesn't allow for combo's as readily, also that slam for Bone is useful as a ranged punish tool in general.

Once they do fix the obvious bugs though I would say it would be on par easily with Boneshaper, with only Imp remaining as mediocre.