What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

Rahavic

Noob
Yes please someone get me some AA tech. :**(

lol Pandemic I been doin much the same as you for AA so far. D2 into B2 is all I get especially online.

Yeah, I can't find a completely reliable AA. I think if you space yourself far enough away that the opponent would jump in front of you, AND you walk back when you see the jump-in, d2, 3, and d3 are fairly reliable.

d2, forward jump 2, f2,2,3 command grab works.

If it's a jump in that may lead to a crossup, forward dash under honestly seems to be the most reliable escape option. Just gotta be quick with the inputs :O

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
This probably isn't new but it's useful.​
If you neutral jump 2 as an anti air you can follow up with a stand grab mb b3 j3 low grab. Which then puts you in the perfect range to do a wakeup stand grab that they have to reversal to get out of or quick recover. Seems pretty amazing. Costs one bar to setup and gets you 33% anyways into another 35% easy with another bar and much more if trait is active. Just gotta get the timing down to catch people on their wakeup and this looks like an easy 70%. Really you can end any combo into low grab and put them at the right range to wakeup throw.​
If you end with 112 into forward teleport you can get a jump in that will cross up or a normal jump in. Depending on if they roll on wakeup or not.​

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Can Shazam punish Bane's rushing charge?
Depends on how negative on block it is, Shazam might be able to stand grab it. I'll test it later. I'm guessing it has pushback, if so it'll be rough but maybe he can b2 or sweep it. Shazam is pretty slow except for his down jab with most punishes. I believe tornado is like 11 or 18 frames of startup or something.

EDIT: The charge is -11, Shazam basically has nothing that will go that far and punish. His stand grab is 11 frames on startup so... good luck punishing that. B2 is 20 frames, sweep is 10 but its too far to hit with it. Torpedo is 17, so yeah, nothing you can do against it. Just try and avoid it and punish from there I guess lol.

MB torpedo forward dash meaty command throw.

MB grab b3 j.3 f2 low grab 31% leads into grab again.

I like canceling b2 into forward teleport on hit or block bexause it just adds another layer of "how will shazam hit me next"

Be sure to use interactables! Shazam has a ton of hard knockdown moves that force opponents to eat meaty unblockables on their wakeup. Example being ex torpedo and youll probably be near something to chuck it at em!

F2 2 is a godlike string. -1 0 and -1 for all 3 parts and they all jail too. Cancel f223 into low grab sometimes to catch crouchers

Setsuna

Noob
i really wanted to main the Captain but i m just too bad with him =/

also, before i dont see some videos how Shazam players beat decent other players i ll assume he s low tier. and yea, this is just the opinion of a noob :3

but the point is, even the AI is bad with Shazam :p

is he low tier? i go well with him compared to other characters but then again i am not great at fighting games or know much about them i just enjoy them

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I want to play Shazam, but I can't even do command grabs consistently because of the weird way you have to input moves in the game. ;__;

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
I want to play Shazam, but I can't even do command grabs consistently because of the weird way you have to input moves in the game. ;__;
I came here to post just this!It's stuff for me especially since I decided to use pad for this game.Gonna practice some more but I really want to focus on Superman for now.

I'm no expert, but I think Shazam will be relatively difficult to use and you'd have to dominate and force the opponent into his mixups in order to win. If you're not on point with that kind of stuff, he might not do very well.

I'm also struggling with the inputs a bit, but I'm using alternate controls and just inputting the KoF motion of hcb,f since I could use some input practice for that game as well. That command has been the bane of my existence for some time.

Re: Bane's charge, it has a slow startup that you can knock him out of when his arms are up in the air. Psycho crusher on anticipation or if he tries that close up you could probably go into a full combo. Not sure if the MB version has armour tho.

Rahavic

Noob
Man I gotta admit guys. I'm still gonna stay true to my boy Billy and I love the guy but GOD DAMNIT!! I've never been so annoyed by 1 input ever in my fucking life. DBF1 suck muh bawlz and COME OUT ALREADY!!! k done

Back to the lab I go. Almost threw my TE stick a minute ago had to let that out somewhere. Apologies.

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
Honestly, I'll try to stay at it as much as possible. Gonna attempt a new controller soon...BUT FUCK THIS INPUT. Probably why I end up dropping him <.< Him and Bane are seriously raping my fingers. Multiple breaks taken.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Looks like you can end with 112 forward teleport and still get the stand grab on wakeup. Adds 3 percent instead of ending it with a low grab.

I'll give an example.

112 forward port ender:

stand grab mb, b3, j3, 112xxforward port, walk up a step or two and stand grab for the rest - 31%

crouch grab ender:

stand grab mb, b3, j3 low grab. leaving you in the perfect position to stand grab. - 29%

I find the 112 ender easier personally, timing on the low grab in this scenario is kinda tough, gotta jump early and hit b3 as soon as possible it seems which relies too much on how fast you hit b3. Plus it gets more damage and the same setup.

fyi, a friend of mine at work said he was watching an Injustice stream and he commented that your Shazam was awesome. :)
Tell your friend thanks for the compliments! I really wasn't interested in Shazam on first look but after a few hours in training mode I had a few setups and shenanigans and I felt good about how to approach and he grew on me. Hopefully I can just continue to improve upon it.

As for
stand grab mb, b3, j3, 112xxforward port, walk up a step or two and stand grab for the rest - 31%
dbf1 MB b3 j3 f2 db1 is 31% and leads into the low throw setup. Personally 112 forward port is good only for pushing to the corner, I wouldn't try to dbf1 off of it because iirc they can tech roll after it and blow your setup up.

Also of note, and a very important one at that, once you condition meaty command throws on their wakeup and they PROVE they can wakeup attack you and get out of your Shazam Loop, please realize you can just bait their reversal almost all the time with just a jump over crossup j2. And if they wakeup and whiff just do dbf1 anyway and continue as if nothing different happened.

Kyyb

Noob
I've found that if you do 2,2 into forward teleport you can dash over some characters bodies and it is perfectly spaced for you to either command grab or do his B+2 overhead. I know you can end some combos with 2,2 so it seems like something could be there.
I like shazam but just hate the motion for the command grab.

I've got about 2 hours of footage of me playing in a lobby with Maxter Digimon and Death, when the archives hit twitch I'll link it here. Shazam has a very hard time fighting catwoman let me tell ya.

http://www.twitch.tv/au_im_digimon/b/393677759

There's me mixed in there. I play exclusively Shazam except one match where I mashed with Grundy. Feel free to let me know if you guys think I should do anything different.

ando1184

Noob
Hey guys, idk if anyone has noticed this or if it's only a console specific thing but I was messing around in training and set the cpu to jump. I was trying to see how effective f2,2 or f2,2,3 could be used as an anti-air, I would purposely whiff the 1st hit and only rely on the lightening as the anti-air option. What was weird to me is sometimes the lightening would hit and sometimes it would whiff altogether, is this a glitch?