What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

Gobblerr

Noob
I'm a bane main, and really liked the look of shazam, the buffs put me over the edge to co-main him, and don't regret it one bit haha. quick question though, with the HM MB, B3, ji2 f223 HM combo, is this really only useful offline? I can nail it in training, but for the life of me can't seem to get the f223 HM to not drop online.
I have no problem doing it online.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
What are you guys doing to get your opponent to block? I have been using the threat of the sweep to setup 22 strings, but my opponents aren't blocking as much as I would like still. What have you guys been doing?

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
What are you guys doing to get your opponent to block? I have been using the threat of the sweep to setup 22 strings, but my opponents aren't blocking as much as I would like still. What have you guys been doing?
Do you mean blocking a certain way(as in high or low)? Bc I fail to see how your opponent not blocking is a bad thing ever. Just get in there and mess their shit up.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Do you mean blocking a certain way(as in high or low)? Bc I fail to see how your opponent not blocking is a bad thing ever. Just get in there and mess their shit up.
I explained that poorly. I meant more in like footsies, get them to crouch to set up some mixups off of 22 or whatever. Once shazam gets started, yeah idgaf if you block or not, but I need them to stop moving to start my offense somewhere. The only success I have had is catching them with sweeps, which obviously are a big deal for shazam, and then once they respect the sweep I can use my strings to set up some throws that way.

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
I explained that poorly. I meant more in like footsies, get them to crouch to set up some mixups off of 22 or whatever. Once shazam gets started, yeah idgaf if you block or not, but I need them to stop moving to start my offense somewhere. The only success I have had is catching them with sweeps, which obviously are a big deal for shazam, and then once they respect the sweep I can use my strings to set up some throws that way.
I see what you mean. I generally have issues with people holding back and just walking back as well. Its hard opening them up unless they make a mistake or I get a good read. That's my weakest area of play with him. One thing I have noticed is some characters cannot or have a very hard time punishing a well spaced torpedo, so I am exploring that vs some chars as a way to get in a range to be able to open them up.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I'm
I see what you mean. I generally have issues with people holding back and just walking back as well. Its hard opening them up unless they make a mistake or I get a good read. That's my weakest area of play with him. One thing I have noticed is some characters cannot or have a very hard time punishing a well spaced torpedo, so I am exploring that vs some chars as a way to get in a range to be able to open them up.
Have you tried just throwing HM out there? it has good range and if they are waking back they will be standing. Force them to either throw out pokes, or crouch. Both good for us.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I'm
Have you tried just throwing HM out there? it has good range and if they are waking back they will be standing. Force them to either throw out pokes, or crouch. Both good for us.

jaym7018

Noob
I have question in the following vid from UFGT

Around the 7 minute mark shazam does 3 of his psycho crusher things in a row. Is there a trick to blocking it?

I can make it crossup on 4 of 5 knockdowns I commonly get. I just loop it for unbreakable if he doesn't guess right. You'll come to learn that as the only tool shazam has after a while. And it usually is pretty bad in terms of efficiency. I failed to wager rd 1 and it cost me. Still sinestro is complrtely foreign to me.

jaym7018

Noob
I can make it crossup on 4 of 5 knockdowns I commonly get. I just loop it for unbreakable if he doesn't guess right. You'll come to learn that as the only tool shazam has after a while. And it usually is pretty bad in terms of efficiency. I failed to wager rd 1 and it cost me. Still sinestro is complrtely foreign to me.
Was that you? That was some good stuff. Good to see some dirty tech from a character People are sleeping on. Ive yet to see shazam at my locals and can probably count how many ive faced online with 1 hand.

JoeX0rX

Noob
Shazams teleport needs tweaking no? The window it utilizes is so small its useless. Im assuming its to pass through projectiles? Its good on wake up though..

NMISM-Grinch

Skrull Queen Pleaser
it does cross up if timed corretly. It's a dirty mixup.
I'm curious about the range to make it a cross up too, my friend says sometimes it hits him as one, but i never know till after the fact and i'm not sure how i'm setting it up. I'm thinking it's got to be pretty close to the opponent, anyone have a vid as an example by chance?

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I've been messing with Shazam lately, and was playing around with a buffer off of 22. You can buffer both command grabs into 22, and pick which option you want to use based on where your opponent blocks. Here's a video of it:

Faster d1s can stuff your command throw. 2 2 isn't a jail string so they can just backdash and punish your string on reaction to blocking 2 in the first place.

Also you're committing yourself straight to hell if you guess wrong, high risk for 1 bar of meter and 30%~

Instead you should use 2 as a nice mid poke since it's pretty fast.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™

Shawi

Noob
They aren't on Youtube but I wanted to post my games on stream from WNF last night. I'm trying to rep Shazam 100%

Me vs Eddie C. (Doomsday)
www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/410094703?t=2h48m30s

Me vs Aris (Deathstroke)
www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/410094703?t=3h26m24s

Me vs Rip (Superman)
www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/410094703?t=4h11m46s

Me vs FR Legend (Sinestro)
www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/410094703?t=4h35m35s

blow me up or what not
Yo man you propppper repped shazam HARD! Nice!!! A lot of your games were played PERFECTLY. I don't know what happened against Legend though. It totally showed how weak Shazam is against zoning - Rip just ran away and you just couldn't catch him. What do you think of the Deathstroke matchup?

Sajam - I neeeeeeed to look at this for sure! Good find!