What's new

Question Shazam Buffs?

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
Didnt know about this thread, reposting this here but here are my concerns for the character.

Teleport:
Like others have mentioned, faster start up to actually make it viable. When I reposted my concerns in the main Shazam thread, people were saying that you have to "read" peoples projectiles to make this move useful lol...

Why cant a teleport be used on reaction rather than a read? It's almost a gamble to use...

Torpedo:
Torpedo regular is fine..but his meter burn should go through projectiles.

Bolt of Zeus [Projectile]:
His projectile meter burned is pretty useless too IMO...start up is WAY TOO SLOW. If you want to go full screen fireball fights its definitely best not to use the meter burn unless you want to get pegged to death. So whats the meter burn projectile used for? Shit is too slow...

Got replies from the main Shazam thread saying its used for chip damage... so my reply to that was this:

So the only real useful uses for MB bolts is for chip damage? I'd rather have lesser damage/chip damage for a faster start up to make it useful for 'fireball fights' and combo extension.

Cant chip someone out if they can throw a projectile that will hit before the MB bolts come out lol.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I almost gave up on him.
This could save him, that wakeup teleport sounds appealing I will have time to test him tomorrow after messing around with Batgirl for the funs.

• Increased viability of Shazam’s Teleport when used as a wake up attack.
  • Shazam’s Herculean Might (Down, Back, Forward + 1) on miss is now -17 (down from -27)
  • Shazam’s Achilles’ Clutch (Down, Back + 1) on miss is now -21 (down from -35)
  • Shazam’s Solomon’s Judgment Character Power now activates faster
  • Normalized reaction time for Shazam after escaping an opponent’s throw attempt.
Also the Whiff punish isn't as harsh on whiffed command grabs but I don't think by the looks of things it will change a thing, you will still be punished hard.
Faster trait <3 yes How much faster? who knows right now but hopefully it opens up more safe strings to activate it on.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Torpedo:
Torpedo regular is fine..but his meter burn should go through projectiles.
This is the only thing missing from the Buff, problem is his MB torpedo is a hit confirm MB, so if it was changed to and activate when pushed it could implement armour from projectiles, getting Interrupted on torpedo is harsh.

Shazam struggles with Zoners as it is, hopefully his Tele buff will help on wake ups but his Torpedo is the best tool to get it for sure.
It's not like the MB Torpedo is completely useless you can dash twice over the player preform a hard knock down using D3 and cross over into full combo quite easily but it's about using it wisely then, you can't use it on block unless they block low and you sure as hell can't use it whilst they're mid attack, which is why it needs armour, to be used as a move to punish people who whiff at range or try to projectile you out of it.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
I almost gave up on him.
This could save him, that wakeup teleport sounds appealing I will have time to test him tomorrow after messing around with Batgirl for the funs.

• Increased viability of Shazam’s Teleport when used as a wake up attack.
  • Shazam’s Herculean Might (Down, Back, Forward + 1) on miss is now -17 (down from -27)
  • Shazam’s Achilles’ Clutch (Down, Back + 1) on miss is now -21 (down from -35)
  • Shazam’s Solomon’s Judgment Character Power now activates faster
  • Normalized reaction time for Shazam after escaping an opponent’s throw attempt.
Also the Whiff punish isn't as harsh on whiffed command grabs but I don't think by the looks of things it will change a thing, you will still be punished hard.

Faster trait <3 yes How much faster? who knows right now but hopefully it opens up more safe strings to activate it on.
early christmas.
I agree, but it could be used as a crossup wake up option with its recovery... I think just that.
Players will complain about that teleport, but they can more likely to bait it out and... Imma spam that thing online.

Mojo

Noob
This is the only thing missing from the Buff, problem is his MB torpedo is a hit confirm MB, so if it was changed to and activate when pushed it could implement armour from projectiles, getting Interrupted on torpedo is harsh.

Shazam struggles with Zoners as it is, hopefully his Tele buff will help on wake ups but his Torpedo is the best tool to get it for sure.
It's not like the MB Torpedo is completely useless you can dash twice over the player preform a hard knock down using D3 and cross over into full combo quite easily but it's about using it wisely then, you can't use it on block unless they block low and you sure as hell can't use it whilst they're mid attack, which is why it needs armour, to be used as a move to punish people who whiff at range or try to projectile you out of it.
If they made his torpedo like that and gave him a reliable anti air along with these buffs he would finally be a well rounded character. He need something to deal with zoners. I was fighting a superman player today and man I don't think I've ever been this frustrated trying to get in on a character, which is crazy sinceT I play grapplers in every fighting game. he fucked up part was when I actually got in he guessed right on my mix up and I was forced to block, which led to me realizing that superman had much better, and safer pressure than shazam and the only way I could get out of it was to put myself back at full screen. The bias with some of the character designs in this game drives me crazy, but this isn't the place to rant about such a thing so I'll stop now.

Shawi

Noob
I don't have access to my PS3 till friday, so....
Is his teleport still useless when trying to get in on zoners?
How viable is his tele now on wakeup? Can it still get stuffed?
Oh and how much faster does his trait activate? Is it like GL?

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
I don't have access to my PS3 till friday, so....
Is his teleport still useless when trying to get in on zoners?
How viable is his tele now on wakeup? Can it still get stuffed?
Oh and how much faster does his trait activate? Is it like GL?
Currently testing this:
-Trait activation is fast enough that you get it free after sweep(garenteed after Hard Knockdown?).Not fast enough to do it mid combo?Need to check the corner.

CCVengeance

Shawi Teleport is viable wake-up.Test it against GA's 6-frame D1.Teleport can still be hit on start-up by zoning.
Overall Shazam looks really good now! I can see some set ups going on with the faster trait.

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
I was at ECTV and played Shazam proudly but people came up to me saying he sucks lol ..glad he got his buffs..can't wait to hit training mode.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Safe trait activation
F22 Trait 112 Torpedo MB Dash over D3 Cross over with 2 F22 HM MB etc.. full combo with trait.

After your trait they have to respect what you do if they don't the 112 hits them, alot of the time people will block low or go into low block after 112 to probably poke you but the torpedo punishes that. :)
if not you're at a safe distance after torpedo anyhow.

CCVengeance

Safe trait activation
F22 Trait 112 Torpedo MB Dash over D3 Cross over with 2 F22 HM MB etc.. full combo with trait.

After your trait they have to respect what you do if they don't the 112 hits them, alot of the time people will block low or go into low block after 112 to probably poke you but the torpedo punishes that. :)
if not you're at a safe distance after torpedo anyhow.
hmmmmm...Interesting.LEt's see how this goes.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Can't wait to test things today!!! I've been using trait to end combos sometimes rather than sweep (End with 11 trait or f223 trait, etc), now I might have more options after they land. I'm excited.

Shawi

Noob
I'm seriously considering picking up Shazam, I know these buffs wont make him immediately top 5, but atleast NRS is willing to make good changes with him
Exactly, we must not miss that. The adjustments for the whiffing of the grabs is completely negligible. The wakeup teleport is something that really should have been in from the start, and I think with time, the trait can have it's uses. Really not sure why they haven't touched his *getting in on zoners* aspect with a much faster startup tele or AT going through projectiles. With this addressed, I think he can become a really solid and viable character. I just can't wait to go at these new changes! #thanksnrs #shazamtillidie

CamRac

Noob
I kept him on as my strong second, but this definitely gives me some faith in Shazam and NRS. They've learned a lot since the patchings of MK9 - this looks like a solid list of changes (for the most part). I'm sure we'll get something in the next patch to better handle what Sinestro is about to be become. Billy is a "mobile grappler" for a reason.

Shawi

Noob
Hmmmmmmm, I don't know. Is it worth it????
You are losing 34% just to activate the trait. I am not convinced.