What's new

Shaolin Monks...hmm...

Azuro

Noob
I picked up Shaolin Monks again. Wondering was it ever looked at for competitive play? Like was the VS game engine examined? I'm doing a little bit of examining right now. It's actually kinda fun. Some stuff I noticed:

-Pretty much every character can inf you. Sounds bad, but where this is sorta balanced out is the ability to air tech, which uses the special meter, which also rises slower than in normal story mode, so you have to know the right moments to tech out. Also, due to stage constraints, infs can't really be done forever. So, in a sense, they aren't infs.

-PAs (Power Attacks, or Circle/B) are cancellable with certain people (Haven't fully checked this) into other attacks.

Some stuff I noticed for the characters:

-All of Reptile's specials can set up for his inf. Also his Air QA (Square/X in air) plants you, and if you time a forceball right while the opponent gets up, it hits. Not sure if it's actually blockable at that point, but it seems to be unblockable. His Ground QA is mad unsafe, though, so he's a little hurt there.

-Scorpion's teleport apparently works well after an air tech, as it gets you out of the way. Also, his hellfire uppercut has a rather large hitbox. Not sure if it's safe, though.

I'll do a bit more examinations later.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The only infinites are when your opponent is when their special meter is empty, thus negating any escape attempts.

Sub is the best by far, Reptile/Baraka are at the bottom. Tom Brady pretty much explored this game to death, you should PM him.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Scheisse said:
*off: are you playing MKA now Konqrr?
Yeah, with my Xbox woes and my L trigger on the DS broke, I've been MKII and MKA on my PS3 <- say that three times fast

marv

Noob
I enjoyed playing against my wife in this mode. But she would always do Kung Lao's hat thing where if it hits you just right in the air it does about 50% damage.

IMO, they should have included this combat mode in MK:A. After all, they had a version of the engine in there already for Konquest mode.

Yeah, me too. I never got to even try co-op when this was released.

That would be hella fun. :)
I want to play vs and co-op with many people. I've only played with one person, and it was non stop excitement (really, it was).
Shaolin Monks would be a good game to bring to casuals just for fun.