What's new

Shao Kahn hammer throw pressure? Loop? Mindgame? Gimmick?

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
As Liu Kang I just reversal bicycle kick and it gets me away with out being hit

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Did this move get patched at some point recently, perhaps with the recent PC/Switch bugfix and performance patch? It's now -1 on stand block on my PC version, making it noticeably less gimmicky depending on character/position. At first, I thought it might have been another accidental or glitched patch reversion, but everything else looks up to date.

Side note to those blocking it, if you're too late to or can't move and don't want to trade hits, stand block instead of crouch block for better frames at least.
Vs taller characters, the hammer hits a little sooner, making it -1.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
The move is garbage. I won't get into the options you have, as many have already covered them.

I do want to say that it's nice to see people rallying to come up with some good anti-Shao Kahn strategy on here. I'm so sick of seeing him dominate the top 8 and win tourney after tourney.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Total gimmick. Its a combo ender for advantage and safe jumps after, people just use it for pressure when they dont know the mu. Flawless block U2 is a universal punish or you can lab your character specific punish as most have something to move them forward enough to have it miss on the way down. D2 trade is easy and ok if you have life lead but there are clean ways to punish

Is there a list of characters that can't avoid just doing d2 or block?

Been doing some labbing and I couldn't figure out how to escape with Kabal. I didn't know if anyone else has this problem. Kabal flawless attacks aren't fast enough and I couldn't back dash or forward push either.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Is there a list of characters that can't avoid just doing d2 or block?

Been doing some labbing and I couldn't figure out how to escape with Kabal. I didn't know if anyone else has this problem. Kabal flawless attacks aren't fast enough and I couldn't back dash or forward push either.
Kabal can probably reversal nomad dash the gap to move him out of the way and punish

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Seeing Double Noob MK9 bois

I started off Shao while developing Noob in the back. Noob will always be my favorite MK character I just didnt want to use him at early cus my Shao was more developed then and them changing his inputs up from 9 fucked with my muscle memory lol but Im maining to him for the long run

Just worries me cuz if I get hit first as kabal, I'm going to have to hold that hammer. It's still ok, but it is useful information to have as either player.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Just worries me cuz if I get hit first as kabal, I'm going to have to hold that hammer. It's still ok, but it is useful information to have as either player.
Not fully as anyone can flawless block the gap and punish with U2 if you have the resources but ill look at it soon cus I need to fund my Noob punish for it as well and even if Kabal only can U2 with meter than whatever fuck Kabal lol

DeftMonk

Noob
hit him with that d2 everytime. Lately my problem with shao kahn isnt that gimmick, its that wifi connection magically makes his sweep fuckin +4 or some shit I get poked out of every button after his sweep if man is on wifi.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
move is useless trash, it needs the gap removed, make it -5 on block then
It is not useless trash it is a combo ender that gives him safe jumps mid screen or in the corner. It is not meant to be a free safe special on block just because people want to use it that way

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
It is not useless trash it is a combo ender that gives him safe jumps mid screen or in the corner. It is not meant to be a free safe special on block just because people want to use it that way
better moves to use for combo enders, like skewer or annihilation.

still not worth using, believe me its fking bad, try to spin it however you like.