What's new

Shang Tsung Matchup Discussion Thread

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Can someone help with Baraka and sub?what's the general strategy vs them?
As far as i have seen it online both of these characters imo have advantage online. It always will be a problem to punish that Baraka's charge and Sub's d4, ff22 bull shit. In offline much that trick isnt that effective.
I keep Baraka and Sub away as far as possible.
With Sub i try to stay in SS safe distance and once you get there, you mix that up with up skull. Dont do horizontal skull cause he will freeze you and torn you to peaces. Lately i started to morph much often with him and it turns really effective.

Keeping Baraka away the only thing he can do is shot his blades and Try to get in. Soon or later he will get poped up with a skull. Once he gain meter he will go brainlessly with that Safe Charge. Really simple but if the game is laggy this mu is tough.

LolingOctopus

Modest and humble genitalia destroyer
Hey guys I decided to rep Shang for evo and I have some "silly" questions.

1st I seem to have an issue punishing raiden teleport on reaction, either everything I do is blocked or just whiffs.

2nd for kung lao, if he teleports I react with a standing 1. I know that it counters teleport grab and heavy kicks but I am not sure for teleport 3. Is it safe to do standing 1 agaisnt teleport 3?

3rd vs mileena I understand that you need to block low her second hit from enhenced teleport, is it possible to d4 into close ground skull or is there a better alternative?

mekane

Noob
3rd vs mileena I understand that you need to block low her second hit from enhenced teleport, is it possible to d4 into close ground skull or is there a better alternative?
apparently, you're supposed to use d1 into standard AA combos ( d1 - quick dash F4 3 mGS ) but i can't get it to come out myself, and i have had success with punishing using other characters d1 into AA combos. Shang must have more recovery after his d1 or something.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Hey guys I decided to rep Shang for evo and I have some "silly" questions.

1st I seem to have an issue punishing raiden teleport on reaction, either everything I do is blocked or just whiffs.

2nd for kung lao, if he teleports I react with a standing 1. I know that it counters teleport grab and heavy kicks but I am not sure for teleport 3. Is it safe to do standing 1 agaisnt teleport 3?

1. Most of the times you won't be able to punish Raiden's teleport. You can, however, go for F4, GS just for the sake of pressure.
2. You can D3 to lower your hitbox and then D1 into AA combo. You can just D1 if he's going for a late teleport 3, or you could just simply jump back or walk back.
3. try d1 into 1, f4, mGS.

LolingOctopus

Modest and humble genitalia destroyer
thanks for the answer guys! I'll keep this information into consideration next time I'm in any of these situations

Hey guys. I was watching MLG and seeing Detroitballin get uppercuted out of f434 by Sonya made me lose some souls. So I decided to test this string. Also, I observed that sometimes doing f43GS catches the opponent, while f434GS whiffs. Sorry of this was posted, but here are my results (best viewed with the Dark-Red skinof TYM). ALERT! Major exposing of Shang Tsung ahead.

In red after f43 are the frame gaps. Any feedback is welcomed.
Btw, if you got a hit on one of those likely to get hit by f43, than the next f43GS is guaranteed to hit, f434GS may not be.
nice. esku has a thread disecting all his strings as well. f4 gs = love

http://testyourmight.com/threads/shang-tsungs-strings-are-godlike.12736/

Saltea Moonspell

lol anyone have more then a guess
Dude, you get in with d1 and fall it up with couple pokes into Soul Steal. I cant confirm it at this moment as CPU wont attack with ex tele fallowed with daggers. So in mean while this stays only as a guess.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Dude, you get in with d1 and fall it up with couple pokes into Soul Steal. I cant confirm it at this moment as CPU wont attack with ex tele fallowed with daggers. So in mean while this stays only as a guess.
hey don't take that comment in a bad way ur help is appericated for sure, im just looking for a more in depth feedback

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
also i don't use soul steal much i prefer stick too shang in his own form

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
also i don't use soul steal much i prefer stick too shang in his own form
Yea man, this is the thing that makes Mileena annoying. Your only option is D+1~SS. The only way you get a juggle is if she does not do the sai (which almost never happens). You could alternatively do a D+1 into a skull for added pressure, but it does much less damage.

LEGEND

YES!
can you give me some simple combos for the more popular fighters i may run in to
combos are the least important thing when transformed, most of them will drop halfway when your morph time runs out

for now just look up basic zoning and spacing for any character that is a problem for your Shang

Saltea Moonspell

I totally agree with LETHAL LEGEND. Basic string, specials and over control. Rarely the morph allows you to chain long damaging combos. A lot of people get defensive while you are on Power Boost mode. Remember that specials and block strings gives you (i guess) twice as much bar as normally it dose.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
lol
combos are the least important thing when transformed, most of them will drop halfway when your morph time runs out

for now just look up basic zoning and spacing for any character that is a problem for your Shang
legend man you are my saving grace on here and gamefaqs

honestly, i think block strings are the most important to learn. BnBs are pretty easy to learn. zoning and spacing are also really important, but they're not quite as dependable as block strings would be imo.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Great mirror at MLG between Detroit and Wounded Cowboy. Ad did anyone notice that the first ground skull from the en-GS is facing the screen? That's one evil mofo. (sorry for offtopic, didn't know where to post this)

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Is ST vs Skarlet as bad as it seemed to me at Final Round? Seems like if the Skarlet player is on point with his en-dashes, the Shang player will always feel fear inside of pressuring with close up-skull, let alone zoning. Seemed like 6-4, but is it a potential 7-3 for Skarlet?