What's new

Shang Tsung General Discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Anyone noticed that on some characters young f43 into medium spark whiffs and on some dont if you are as close as possible to the opponent? Some characters are very inconsistent, feels like we got breathing hurtboxes again lol.
Even on the kombat kast they said that you should be able to combo like this
at 6:50 any thoughts? This must be a bug.
You mean for the f43-ground skull combo? On release I was going for it but I completely removed it from my gameplay because of these whiffing issues. IDK if it's distance or character hurtbox, but I just gave up on it.

I actually use B22 much more because of it

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Jax (Kameo) - Ground Pound is now higher priority when it & his partner’s attacks hit on the same frame

From new patch, does this nerf Shang/Jax resets?
Basically before if you did the ExMorph resets and ground pound and the jump in hit on the same frame the opponent would stay standing and you could get a free full grounded combo. Havent tested it yet but sounds like when this happens now the ground pound knockdown hit response will play instead of the grounded jump in hit response.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Please share these Jax setups. The best ones I've seen have EX injection involved

But yeah I think he's fine, I've gotten good use out of Stryker, Sektor and Motaro.

More on my channel. I feel like there has to be a Shang TOD here somewhere. Probably vs Scorpion.

Why have I not tested vs Scorpion yet... I can feel a Shang TOD coming tomorrow.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
You mean for the f43-ground skull combo? On release I was going for it but I completely removed it from my gameplay because of these whiffing issues. IDK if it's distance or character hurtbox, but I just gave up on it.

I actually use B22 much more because of it
Seems to be character dependant, works on some characters and not others.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
New to Shang here; maining Shao currently.
Just a question because I'm having trouble with something stupid I'm trying to do. I don't know which one I should be doing.

Combo#1 (YS) JI2-Morf-F4121-DF1....bnb

Or

Combo#2 (YS) JI2-F4~Morf-121~DF1...bnb

I can't tell which would be easier to do on a read for a jump in.

I'm having trouble with the F121 connecting as a full combo with #1. It works for sure I've done it a few times.

Should I just not do this at all?

Last edited:

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
New to Shang here; maining Shao currently.
Just a question because I'm having trouble with something stupid I'm trying to do. I don't know which one I should be doing.

Combo#1 (YS) JI2-Morf-F4121-DF1....bnb

Or

Combo#2 (YS) JI2-F4~Morf-121~DF1...bnb

I can't tell which would be easier to do on a read for a jump in.

I'm having trouble with the F121 connecting as a full combo with #1. It works for sure I've done it a few times.

Should I just not do this at all?
Im confused on about your question. Are you just asking what the most optimal route off a jump in is?
If so:
F4121 DF1 4 DF1 4 DF1 F4 DF1 F4 DB3 iirc its like 38% You're just missing the 3rd loop. You could do another 4 instead of the first F4 but this is VERY hard to consistently which is why you see most people doing F4 for the 3rd loop.

Marinjuana

Probably not at all tbh. You can morph in air anytime so Id say just do it earlier but #2 is an input you will want to get good with so you can use that string as a punish or whatever

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Anyone on xbox willing to teach me in a private match? There isn't a single player on xbox in KL Grandmaster and up that plays Shang. No match replays to watch... anyone that's lower just plays Shang with Serrena and stays young and just zones.

Looking to figure out how to use him in neutral and up close.

Wigy

There it is...
On his mega combos.

When I do ex skulls up close you can do far then close skull as a juggle and then ex close to send them full screen again and reset the height. Issue I'm having is sometimes after the ex skull when I do far skull in launches them close sometimes it's keeps them max distance. Can't find any consistency

Eg. F4121df1 4df1 4db1ex dbf1 db1 dbf1 db1 dbf1 db1ex dbf1(here the sometimes fly forward sometimes backwards?) I'm not sure if I'm shuffling forward or backward fucking up the skull spacing or it's a height thing?

Last edited:
@Marinjuana any tip for morph in the 7 frames starter combo?
I mean... I want --> 24(morph) df1 4 df1 etc. .... but idk how to be consistent in the morph step...
Have u any secret in the input to share me? xD

Same in bnb... when i not get f4 i want young morph and end with df1-CyraxKameo... but i cant be consistent =(

I can do both combos without morph

Marinjuana

@Wigy

I'm really not familiar with that combo path but the juggle seems to be on where you hit them, in the front or the back. Sometimes this can mess with you, like punishing Raiden's electric storm with 24~DF1 can get you an undesirable backward launch because of the weird spacing.

It seems like they always fly toward you* after the last hit of EX skull. It could be that you are shuffling a little bit while doing inputs or a timing thing but maybe it's just the high combo gravity causing him to fall faster making it a tight window

Last edited:

Marinjuana

@Marinjuana any tip for morph in the 7 frames starter combo?
I mean... I want --> 24(morph) df1 4 df1 etc. .... but idk how to be consistent in the morph step...
Have u any secret in the input to share me? xD

Same in bnb... when i not get f4 i want young morph and end with df1-CyraxKameo... but i cant be consistent =(

I can do both combos without morph
Just input 24~DF1 and then sometime before the skull comes out, hit morph. Don't worry about fitting the D+Stance Switch inbetween just do it as the move is coming out, after you've input 24~DF1. It's a little strange but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to get consistently. Like B22~DB1, just get the morph in before the special comes out. For these ones you can probably just input it as fast as you can at the end but you may want to time it after a longer string like Old Man F4.

Not 100% what you mean with the last part lets say you want to end in young morph after:

F4121~DF1, Cyrax

Just do that combo input, and before DF1 comes out, hit morph. And then time the Cyrax assist. (BTW did you maybe mean DF2/the claw special.. I see Shang/Cyrax do that often)

Marinjuana

I've found more consistency in my Young to Old F4 string morph.

What I do no is input the F41 with the D+stance switch sandwiched in between, and then I input 21 in the later window which seemingly helps avoid dropping the input. SS = Stance Switch

So I do F4DSS1 and then follow up. I probably should be inputting F4212 delayed like this anyhow to not get whiff punished

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
@Wigy

I'm really not familiar with that combo path but the juggle seems to be on where you hit them, in the front or the back. Sometimes this can mess with you, like punishing Raiden's electric storm with 24~DF1 can get you an undesirable backward launch because of the weird spacing.

It seems like they always fly forward after the last hit of EX skull. It could be that you are shuffling a little bit while doing inputs or a timing thing but maybe it's just the high combo gravity causing him to fall faster making it a tight window
Yeah I thought that too. Think it gets ultra complex with both your spacing horizontally and how fast you input the far skull after ex affecting where it hits them as they move back to across.

I seem to get the g spot one where I can do far skull over and over right at the end of a combo after x2 reps of ex close skull

I love doing hard combos in practice and labbing shit so just want to get an outrageously long shang combo down

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...

What I do no is input the F41 with the D+stance switch sandwiched in between, and then I input 21 in the later window which seemingly helps avoid dropping the input. SS = Stance Switch

So I do F4DSS1 and then follow up. I probably should be inputting F4212 delayed like this anyhow to not get whiff punished
Yep I practiced that shit for ages and I do it the same way. It's a really horrible input.

Kept getting f4 claw until I basically started hitconfirming the rest of the string after the 1 came out

Last edited:
Just input 24~DF1 and then sometime before the skull comes out, hit morph. Don't worry about fitting the D+Stance Switch inbetween just do it as the move is coming out, after you've input 24~DF1. It's a little strange but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to get consistently. Like B22~DB1, just get the morph in before the special comes out. For these ones you can probably just input it as fast as you can at the end but you may want to time it after a longer string like Old Man F4.

Not 100% what you mean with the last part lets say you want to end in young morph after:

F4121~DF1, Cyrax

Just do that combo input, and before DF1 comes out, hit morph. And then time the Cyrax assist. (BTW did you maybe mean DF2/the claw special.. I see Shang/Cyrax do that often)
Yeah, mb... morph df2 cyrax was the idea xD...
24~DF1 morph works for me, thanks =)

Wigy

There it is...

@Marinjuana this is the combo. You see I expect it to bounce back but it stays full screen. I want a consistent way to get it to do that...

Because when they bounce that way you can do like 4 far skulls then an ex skull and start the cycle again. Only started on shang yesterday so just getting used to it

SixPathsOfHate

@Marinjuana this is the combo. You see I expect it to bounce back but it stays full screen. I want a consistent way to get it to do that...

Because when they bounce that way you can do like 4 far skulls then an ex skull and start the cycle again. Only started on shang yesterday so just getting used to it
You need to microwalk so the fireball ends up behind him. You can buffer a forward dash pretty early.

SixPathsOfHate

Ye, that's what I ended up doing but I still fumble it in volatile situations because you dont have to do it anywhere else so it throws off your flow. I've messed up so many punishes pressing the 2 too fast. I really hope they fix this fast because its becoming very unfun to play with all the other issues.